After several years of dereliction the Coronet has been revived as a superclub, cinema and corporate hire venue.
Where everyone is welcome, from the young to the old and our four legged friends too!
London's growing Latin American population, which has largely resided at the Elephant since the 1980s, are also taking part in the regeneration project. Plans are being made to build new shops and homes to transform it into a "Latin American corridor".
The Elephant was to have been served by the Cross-River Tram, which was cancelled in 2008 due to budgetary constraints.
The Elephant and Castle is a major road junction in South London, England, in the London Borough of Southwark. Though the name also informally refers to the areas of Walworth and Newington, the proximity of the London Underground station of the same has led to the area being more commonly called "Elephant and Castle". The name is derived from a local coaching inn.
Southeastern and Thameslink services towards Ashford International, Bedford, Dover Priory, London Blackfriars, Luton, Sevenoaks, St Albans City, St Pancras International, Sutton, West Hampstead and Wimbledon serve the area.
Read the latest news about the Elephant and Castle programme or visit the Elephant and Castle Partnership website.
The Elephant is the location of the London College of Communication, formerly the London College of Printing, an internationally renowned dedicated college, part of University of the Arts London. The present structure was constructed during the redevelopment of the area in the early 1960s.
There are 15 projects that form the core of the regeneration programme
In 1974 the Brutalist Heygate Estate, designed by Tim Tinker, was completed. It was home to more than 3,000 people. The estate was once a popular place to live, the flats being thought light and spacious, but the estate later developed a reputation for crime, poverty and dilapidation.
In addition a “grass-roots” music venue with capacity for a 500-strong audience is proposed, which could boost the area’s credentials as a magnet for music lovers.
The plans, on show at the shopping centre from tomorrow until Saturday, come about three years after the shopping centre building was bought for £80 million.
Most of the new homes will be available to let on a long-term basis through Get Living London, which manages the flats at the former 2012 athletes’ village in east London.
Elephant & Castle is served by London Buses routes 1, 12, 35, 40, 45, 53, 63, 68, 100, 133, 136, 148, 155, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188, 196, 333, 343, 344, 360, 363, 415, 453, 468, C10, P5, N1, N35, N63, N68, N89, N133, N155, N171 and N343.
Property-wise, there hasn't been much to shout about until now, with major developments like Metro Central Heights giving the area a much-needed boost.
The regeneration will include the creation of a new pedestrianised town centre, market square, 5,000 new and replacement homes, up to 450,000 square feet of retail space, an integrated public transport hub, new green spaces.
Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.
We also have the Garden bar that leads out to an attractive garden area with decked patios and childrens play area making it the ideal location for parties and family gathering. or just taking time out to relax in the sunshine.
The Elephant was the centre of the target zone for the German air raids on London on 10 May 1941 and suffered "raging fires".
Jamie Ritblat, chief executive of developer Delancey, which is behind the scheme alongside pension fund asset manager APG, said: “Our ambition is to create a new and improved town centre for Elephant and Castle, one which complements, celebrates and builds upon the existing diversity and vibrancy that this key Zone 1 location is already so renowned for.”
Traffic runs to and from the south-east of England along the A2 (New Kent Road and Old Kent Road), the south of England on the A3, to the West End via St George's Road, and to the City of London via London Road and Newington Causeway at the northern junction. Newington Butts and Walworth Road adjoin the southern junction. The whole junction forms part of the London Inner Ring Road and part of the boundary of the London congestion charge zone.
The area became the location for a thriving shopping area, known as "the Piccadilly (Circus) of South London", with its own department store (William Tarn and Co) and many smaller outlets. Also featured were a shoe factory, a branch of Burton and a renowned hatter.
You will find The Elephant and Castle in Kensington London within a short stroll of Kensington Church St, High Street Kensington and Camden Hill Road - however you won't find another like it.
St Mary's Church was rebuilt in 1720 and completely replaced in 1790, to a design of Francis Hurlbatt. Within another hundred years this too was to be demolished, with its replacement on Kennington Park Road ready in 1876. It was destroyed by bombing in 1940 during the Second World War. The remains of the tower and an arch were incorporated into its replacement of 1958. The open space is still known as St Mary's Churchyard, and the narrow pedestrian walk at its south end is Churchyard Row.
Elephant And Castle
The whole area is set to be transformed as part of a much-delayed major regeneration initiative.
For an update on the wider regeneration you can view the Elephant and Castle place making October 2015 report submitted to the council's cabinet.
The Elephant has two linked London Underground stations, on the Northern and Bakerloo lines, and a National Rail station served by Southeastern (Kentish Town to Sevenoaks via Catford) and Thameslink Railway (Thameslink suburban loop to Sutton and Wimbledon, and other Thameslink services to Kent).
In recent times the area has had a reputation for successful ethnic diversity and centrality. The area's proximity to major areas of employment, including Westminster, the West End and the City, has meant that a certain amount of gentrification has taken place
In 1932, another cinema opened across the street, The Coronet. It is now mostly used as a night-club and concert venue. At the time it seated over 2000 people, and was an art-deco conversion of the Elephant and Castle theatre, opened in 1879 on the site of the short-lived Theatre Royal (built in 1872 and burnt down six years later). It was reconstructed in 1882 and again in 1902.
We have noticed that you are using an ad blocker.
In May 1557, William Morant, Stephen Gratwick and a man named King, known as the Southwark Martyrs, were burnt at the stake in St George's Field on the site of the present Tabernacle during the Marian Persecutions.
The Elephant and Castle is one of many rare gems in theNicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Famous former residents include Charlie Chaplin and Michael Caine, who were born and grew up locally.
The Partnership brings together a number of organisations working in the area
Elephant and Castle is a central London neighbourhood just south of the Thames
The Evening Standard has been given the first look at the full proposals, which also include space for start-up businesses and a 1,000-seat cinema.
A popular restaurant in New York City also takes its name from the road junction. This restaurant was honored with a Village Award in 2002 from the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.
Gay rights activist Peter Tatchell lives on the Rockingham Estate, where the Council installed a blue plaque in his name in 2010.
Architect Allies and Morrison, which has drawn up the vision, helped transform former red-light district King’s Cross into an office hot-spot for brands such as Louis Vuitton and Google.
"The Elephant", as locally abbreviated, consists of major traffic junctions connected by a short road called Elephant and Castle, part of the A3. Between these junctions, on the eastern side, is the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre, with the Hannibal House office block above. To the north of this, bounded by Newington Causeway and New Kent Road is the large Metro Central Heights residential block. The 43-storey Strata residential block lies just south of the shopping centre on Walworth Road.