Our local offer is still being put together. We continue to work with children, young people and families on what the local offer needs to cover and this will be up and running by September 2014.

Information about local and national transport schemes supporting learners aged 16-18 in further education and continuing learners aged 19 and over can be found within Surrey's Transport policy statement (PDF). This includes information on:

If you aren't happy with the support you are receiving for your child with SEND you have several ways of raising your concerns. Details are in our appealing against a Surrey County Council decision page which also provides details of how to make a complaint if you feel we have not met our obligations for assessing SEND within the timescale or in providing the support set out in your child's statement.

Surrey Short Breaks for Disabled Children funds voluntary organisations and SEND schools to provide short break services, including after-school clubs, holiday schemes, home-care and more. For most of these you don't need to be eligible for our social care support to take advantage of them.

You can also apply for travel assistance (16-25) online:

The SEN points value for Surrey mainstream schools in 2016/17 is £484.86

If your child has a statement of special educational needs (SSEN) or an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP), you can apply for a mainstream, specialist centre or special school place on the SEND Admissions page.

Additional support in mainstream schools is converted to Surrey points where one point equates to one hour of additional support per year. The first £6,000 will be deducted from mainstream statemented support charges per year so long as the child is not placed in the SEN centre of a mainstream school as in this instance £10,000 will be deducted from the placement charge as is the case for special school placements.

The points value for additional support in special schools (ie over and above the banded top up) is £593.66 in 2016/17 

The SEN points value for Surrey mainstream schools in 2014/15 is £464.62

We are working together with children and young people, health, education, social care, voluntary community services and parents and carers, through Surrey Parent Partnership and the local parent/carer forum, Family Voice Surrey, to develop and review our local offer and ensure it is up-to-date.

Special schools and those educational settings with pupils with special educational needs (SEN) who require additional support costing £6,000 or more are entitled to additional 'top up' funding. This page gives details of applicable charges to education authorities for out of county pupils placed in Surrey special schools and centres and those receiving SEN support in mainstream schools.

The points value for additional support in special schools (ie over and above the banded top up) is £581.96 in 2015/16 

Advice is available for parents considering educating their child at home.

If you wish to educate your child at home you must get our agreement so that your child's records can be amended accordingly. This applies regardless of whether your child goes to a mainstream or special school.

You can have your say on how we shape our local offer by filling in a short survey.

Surrey's Educational Travel Assistance Policy for Children and Young People with SEND - Pre 16 explains the transport they provide.

Surrey County Council has become aware that families have been receiving conflicting messages about diagnosis and support available for pathological demand avoidance (PDA). For this reason, the council set up a joint working party to work collaboratively on the issue. Coming out of the first meeting was a joint position statement (PDF) which provides clarity about the council’s recognition of PDA. The statement also sets out the council’s principles for diagnosis.

Our SEND handbook is currently being updated. To access SEND forms, checklists and letter templates please use the links below:

Where a young person's EHCP or SSEN identifies the need for travel assistance in order to access education, Surrey will provide support to the nearest appropriate education provider.

Here we provide general advice for schools to help them support pupils with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) to get the most from their education. Information includes:

If you are a parent or carer of a child with special educational needs or a disability (SEND) there are many sources of support, information and advice you may find useful. You can find all of these on Surrey's new local offer website, which will be available from 1 September 2014. We have also listed some you may find useful below.

Surrey's criteria for home to school transport for children with SEND can be found in the Educational Travel Assistance Policy for Children and Young People with SEND - Pre 16

Some students aged 16 to 19 with SEND who have previously had an EHCP or SSEN may also be eligible for support through Surrey's Home to school/college transport policy for Surrey students of sixth form age (PDF).

If your child is finding it hard to communicate by speech alone, the school (with your permission) may refer them for an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) assessment with your child's speech and language therapist. AAC covers a huge range of techniques, which support or replace spoken communication. These include gesture, signing, symbols, word boards, communications boards and books as well as voice output communications aids (VOCA).

"Working with you to improve opportunities and outcomes for your child."


If your child does not have an EHCP or SSEN, there are other transport options and schemes that they may be able to use.

There are different levels of SEND; as many as one in five children may need extra support at some stage with their learning.

Children with a disability aged five and over who are living in Surrey may also be eligible for a free bus pass for disabled people. For more information on eligibility and details of how to apply visit www.surreycc.gov.uk/freebuspass.

The SEN points value for Surrey mainstream schools in 2015/16 is £475.31

Surrey SEND Information, Advice and Support Service provides information, advice and support to young people and parents/carers of children with SEND throughout the child's education from 0-25 years. It may also be able to provide an independent parental supporter, but this is not a guaranteed service.

If your child has been given a placement at a specialist nursery through an EHCP or SSEN assessment Surrey will provide transport if they:

Family Voice Surrey is a forum for parents of children with SEND, influencing the development of services for your child.

Work is continuing on the development of our new Speech and language therapy service for children and young people in Surrey, in partnership with Guildford and Waverley CCG. You can find information about upcoming events, and further details on our plans, on our Speech and Language Therapy page.

Specialist advisory teachers and a specialist ICT team make assessment referrals, supported by the school's special educational needs coordinator (SENCO).

If you feel you may be eligible, speak to your child's case officer in the first instance as they should be able to assist you with arranging transport.

SSIASS (Surrey SEND Information, Advice and Support Service) provides independent advice and support for young people and parents/carers of children and with SEND aged 0 to 25.

Assessing, statementing and placing children with special educational needs and disabilities is arranged by our special needs administration team, which also manages the associated financial resources. Please call the contact centre on 0300 200 1004 for more information.

If your child needs more support with learning than others, they may have special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND), which can include things like:

At its regular meetings the committee discusses hot topics and then feeds the group's views into organisations providing services to children with SEND in Surrey. These include NHS Surrey, voluntary organisations and us.