If your child has a special educational need and, despite receiving additional help is not making expected progress, then you or your child’s school can request that we make an education health and care assessment. 

This will detail services available for children in the local area (not just those provided by us). It will provide a 'one-stop shop' for advice, support and information for children and young people with SEND, and their families. 

**The Kettlemere Centre is a new SEN hub which is currently being developed for pupils with communication and interaction needs and associated complex needs in a mainstream school.  It's planned that the first cohort of young people will be admitted during the academic year 2014/15.

The school has facilities for and can accommodate up to 56 statemented boys and girls on a non-residential basis.

*both schools offer an outreach service for pupils in mainstream settings.

Families and young people may receive support from an independent supporter. Independent supporters will be recruited locally and receive accredited training to help any family going through an EHC needs assessment and the process of developing an EHC plan.

The expectation is that young people who are receiving support as a result of an LDA, and who remain in further education or training during the transition period, will be issued with an EHC plan if they request and need one. For more information please see the Code of Practice 2014.

The referral request form will need to be completed either by the current mainstream setting or by the SEN officer if a child has a statement of SEN/EHCP and must be fully evidenced.

If your child attends an Early Years setting, school or college, your first point of contact should be their key person, teacher or tutor. It may be best to make an appointment to see them so that you will be able to discuss your concerns fully and in private.

We are holding a Careers/Vocational themed activity week for all students during this last week of term. All students have the opportunity to take part in a range of related learning experiences, which we hope they will find enjoyable while developing relevant skills. The onsite activities on offer…

The purpose of the Local Offer is to enable parents, carers and young people to see more clearly what services are available in their area and how to access them. The offer will include services from birth to 25, across education, health and social care. Shropshire’s Local Offer is being developed in conjunction with children and young people, parents and carers, and local services, including schools, colleges, and health and social care agencies.

The case co-ordinators provide support to the EHC assessment process divided by year groups and the administration of panels. Case co-ordinators should be the first point of call regarding a child/young person’s assessment:

If you'd like to submit a request for statutory assessment for an education, health and care plan, please take a look at our 'Request for assessment' page.

2)  The educational placement of children/young people with an EHCP

Arrangements for supporting children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in school have changed. From 1 September 1 2014 the Children and Families Act came into force.

The Woodlands School is a Shropshire Local Authority (LA) Specialist School catering for pupils aged eleven to sixteen who have a ‘Statement of Special Educational Needs’ (SEN), specifically Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties (SEBD).

Your child’s setting, school or college should discuss with you their arrangements for identifying and supporting children with special educational needs, and what they can do to support your child’s learning if necessary. You're encouraged and entitled to be involved in any plans for your child.

From 1 September 2014 the system for statutory assessment changed. This change followed the implementation of the Children and Families Act 2014.

Children can have special educational needs for a range of reasons, including disabilities, health needs or a learning disability. 

These changes are designed to simplify arrangements for identifying and supporting children with SEND by ensuring:

Information about support available in Shropshire for families of children and young people with SEN is in the Shropshire Local Offer.

Sue Carroll – SEND early years lead officer – 01743 254242. Sue provides SEN casework to support families and providers, particularly regarding the assessment process.

The Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) (formerly the Parent Partnership Service) offers free, confidential advice, information and support to parents and carers about special educational needs, specifically:

The procedure and forms for requesting an education, health and care assessment can be found in the 'Requesting an assessment' section of this website.

Ricki Foxall – administration support - 01743 254366 or senteam@shropshire.gov.uk

You can also talk to your child’s school/setting or contact the SEN Team if you have any further questions about the conversion process.

We're continuing to work together to develop and review:

All new requests for assessment for children and young people who have complex special educational needs and/or disabilities will follow the Education, Health and Care Pathway, which may lead to an Education Health and Care plan (EHCP). This replaces the statement of special educational needs. Pupils who currently have a statement of special educational needs will have their statement transferred into an EHCP over the three-year transition period (two years for those who are over the age of 16).

We are holding a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) themed activity week for all students during this last week of term. All students have the opportunity to take part in a range of related learning experiences, which we hope they will find enjoyable while developing relevant…

Reforms include requesting a joint education and health care assessment and developing clear and appropriate criteria for issuing and producing an education health and care plan. One of the key messages of the reforms is that services should work closely together and in partnership with parents/carers and young people. In Shropshire, representatives from all service areas and families of young people have come together to implement the reforms:

Ricki is the first point of contact for any general enquires. Ricki also provides administration support to the annual review process.

For funding advice, take a look at the Department for Education's Making it Personal leaflet.

Young people can request their own Education, Health and Care assessment, unless they lack capacity as defined in the ‘Mental Capacity’ Act 2005. 


We have developed our process to meet the requirements of Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014. To develop this plan we consulted with parent/carers, schools and post 16 providers and professionals from across education, health and social care. Find out more about the conversion process.

With a £2.2 million investment, transformation from the previously known “Trench Hall School” to the purpose built Woodlands Centre was completed and opened in November 2003.

If a child has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or has a disability that makes it difficult for them to access the educational provision (including early years education) provided for other children of the same age, they may have a special educational need. Having a disability does not necessarily mean that a child will have a special educational need.

Our ICT department offer an onsite technician service for local primary schools. Providing a wide range of onsite technical support, professional impartial advice and consultancy.

There are a range of specialist provisions in Shropshire; the list below includes academies and schools maintained by us:

We're also looking at how we'll convert current statements of SEN and LDAs to education and health care plans. We have up to three years to complete this process.

Our special education provision page gives information on how we cater for young people with complex educational needs, and includes a list of specialist schools and academies which are set up to address those needs.