The Department for Education produces statutory guidance called the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice, which must be followed by the Local Authority, Schools, Health, and other organisations working with children and young people.

Only a very small percentage of children and young people with SEN will require an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is a detailed plan that brings the individual's educational, health and care needs together into a single legal document. The EHCP is created by the Local Authority (LA), based on specialist advice along with input from the parents or carers and the child or young person themselves.

Supporting children and young people with special educational needs to get the most out of school life.

At school, there will be a teacher called a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), who is responsible for planning the provision made for individual children with SEND. If you are concerned that your child may not be receiving the support they need, you should talk initially to your child's teacher or the SENCO. You will be able to talk over your concerns, find out what the school thinks, and what happens next.

Rainbow Carers Forum Tel: 07837 278981 Email:

The school or setting has the responsibility to inform and involve parents in the planning for and meeting of their child's special educational needs. 

Staff in Nottinghamshire County Council’s Customer Service Centre will also be able to provide details of the information contained within the Local Offer to those without easy access to the internet. They can be contacted on 0300 500 8080.

The Special Educational Needs (SEN) team works closely with parents, schools, Children's and Families colleagues and Health Services to ensure that children and young people with SEN get the most out of their school life and maximise their achievements.

Nottingham City's Local Offer website is a central point of information about all services, support and activities for children and young people with SEND.

More information on the EHCP process in Nottingham, along with how to request an EHCP, is available on the related page 'Education, Health and Care Plans'.

For most children and young people, the SEN Support provided for them within the school or setting will be enough the meet their needs.

Fountaindale is a Specialist SEN school situated in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire that offers an inclusive education for pupils aged 3 to 19, who have complex physical and sensory needs. We ensure that each and every child has the opportunity to achieve their full potential. Come and see the fantastic things we've been doing.

Local authorities provide details of all the services and provision that are available to families of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).  This is known as the Local Offer. 

Q. How do schools and other settings support children with SEN?

When your health visitor or doctor makes a routine check, they might suggest that there could be a problem. But if you have any worries of your own, you should talk to your health visitor or family doctor.

Your child's early years are a very important time for their physical, emotional, cognitive and social development.

It is expected that the majority of needs can be met through the Local Offer, without the requirement for a Statutory Assessment or an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan.  When considering any requests for an EHC plan, evidence will be sought as to how the Local Offer has been used to support the child/young person’s needs.  The aim is for information to be located in one, easily located website.  It can be accessed through smart phones and tablets as well as via the internet. 

The team is based at the Glenbrook Management Centre in Bilborough and can be contacted by email, telephone, or in writing.

More information is available through 'related pages' links at the top of this page.

Each area of the City (North, Central and South) has a dedicated Caseworker and Officer who provide consultation, advice and problem solving services for schools, parents and carers, colleagues and partner agencies, in addition to the services provided by the team as a whole. 

The Local Offer aims to bring together helpful and useful information for children and young people with SEND and their families, regardless of the complexity of need.

Contact information for some of the local organisations that provide information and support are also given below:

The principal aim of our school is to provide a stimulating, challenging and caring environment, which allows each child to develop to their full potential educationally, physically, socially and personally. We strive to develop our children towards being valuable and valued members of their community.

Some children and young people - those with complex SEN and disabilities needing more intensive specialist support than the school or setting can provide through SEN Support - may need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Schools and other settings in Nottingham use a graduated approach to meeting SEN needs, using a range of strategies and levels of support depending on the needs of the individual child or young person.

The Special Educational Needs TeamGlenbrook Management CentreWigman RoadBilboroughNottinghamNG8 4PD

Q.  What should I do if I think my child has SEN?


The majority of the services and provision within the Local Offer will be universally available without the need for any form of assessment or referral.  Where an assessment or referral is required, we have asked providers to make this clear.

Q. Could my child go to a Special School?

Please note that requests for Education, Health and Care Plans need to be made in writing (either email or letter using the details above), or by using our form. 

Nottinghamshire provides a wide range of support to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities aged 0-25 and their families. This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, carers, children, schools and other agencies such as health, social care and the voluntary sector.

Working together with your child's teachers will often help to sort out worries and problems. The closer you work with your child's teachers, the more successful any help for your child can be.

Independent advice and support for parents / carers is available from the Parent Partnership Service.

Q. What is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)?

Note: EHCPs are replacing Statements of SEN and Learning Disability Assessments from September 2014.

The Department for Education also produces guidance for families called Special Educational Needs and Disability - guide for parents and carers. This provides useful information on what the law says about Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), key points about the SEND Code of Conduct, and what to expect from the system which supports children and young people with SEND.

The role and function of the Integrated Commissioning Group for Special Educational Needs and Disability is being reviewed.  This will include the publication of the 15-17 commissioning strategy.

Information about how the provision supports pupils with special educational needs must be made available in their SEN Policy. 

A Statement of SEN is a legal document, previously issued by the LA following statutory assessment of a child's SEN. As of September 2014, Statements are no longer being issued - they have been replaced by EHCPs which are more coordinated and person-focused, but which still carry the same legal status as Statements. All existing Statements will be converted into EHCPs by the LA by March 2018.

If you think that additional support is required to meet the needs of your child, or if, as a young person, you would like some extra help, please use the Local Offer to identify what is available and who you can contact to access this help and support.