Special educational needs (SEN) - if your child is having learning problems at school there is help, advice and guidance available.

There is a lot of help out there for families to help them spot and assess any special educational needs or disabilities that their child may have.

You are hereHantsweb HomeSpecial Educational NeedsHow will my child's needs be assessed?SEN Service

We aim to give you as much information as possible to support you and your child. There are plenty of activities and opportunities available and we hope you can find something in your local area that will be helpful to you.

If you have any queries regarding SEN transport please contact the team on 01962 845327.

We post updates on our Facebook page page about national developments and local activities taking place. 'Like' our page to be kept informed.

The SEN Team in the Children’s Services Department assesses the transport entitlement for children with a statement of SEN.

National Pathfinder Support Agency web pages:Mott MacDonaldCouncil for Disabled Children

The changes form Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014 which received Royal Assent on 13 March 2014.

Your child’s early years are a very important time for their physical, emotional, intellectual and social development. When your health visitor or doctor makes a routine check, they may suggest there could be a problem or you may have worries of your own. You can talk to your doctor or health visitor who will be able to give you advice about the next steps to take and who can help.

Hampshire have been working closely with the Hampshire Parent/Carer Network, the voluntary sector and schools, colleges and early years services to develop these requirements. You can find more information on the following pages.

Also see: Further information about home to school transport at Special Schools.

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress you should first talk to your child’s class teacher/tutor. In schools (or early years settings) there is a SEN Co-ordinator (SENCo), who is responsible for co-ordinating help for children with special educational needs. You will be able to talk over your concerns with the teacher/tutor and/or SENCo and find out what the school thinks. The SENCo will be able to explain what happens next.

The Children and Families Act received Royal Assent 13 March 2014. There are seven key principles within the SEND Act:

Your feedback is very important! It will help us to develop the Local Offer and improve the services we offer.

Parents are very aware of how their child is growing and developing. A child may have a known disability at birth, or it may become apparent later that they may need additional support with their learning.

Information about eligibility criteria for specialist services is also available.

Hampshire has worked for the past two and a half years with the South East 7 Pathfinder testing the proposals set out within the Green Paper published March 2011.

Hampshire web pages:Hampshire Local OfferHampshire Parent/Carer NetworkParent VoiceHampshire Voluntary Sector Children and Young People's Alliance

All SE7 Pathfinder work has been co-produced with parents, the voluntary and community sector and a range of other people involved in the process like schools, Adult Services for Transition, Colleges, Health. This booklet  524 kB is from parent carer representatives on what co-production means and has meant during the SE7 Pathfinder work.

Support for families - how to ask for an assessment of your child’s needs and the services that may be available to you.

We try to ensure that our representatives do represent a wider view than their own, and will often seek views from a wider audience before attending meetings. We use surveys, emails out to members, and on occasion focus groups too. In addition to this, we also have a monthly open ‘parent participation’ meeting where we discuss the Pathfinder from a parental point of view and again, this allows us the opportunity to share information and ideas.

There are three key workstreams that are being co-produced and developed with a whole range of people involved in the process across education, health and social care, including parent carers and the voluntary sector. The overall structure of the Implementation programme is is shown in the SEND Reforms Implementation structure chart diagram  51 kB. The workstreams are:

Many children and young people will have special educational needs of some kind during their education. Early years settings, schools, colleges and other organisations can help most children and young people overcome the barriers their difficulties present quickly and easily. A few children and young people will need extra help for some or all of their time an early years setting, school or college.

You are hereHantsweb HomeSpecial Educational NeedsHow will my child's needs be assessed?Details of special schools and resourced provision in Hampshire

Special educational needs legislation is being reformed by the Government with new approaches coming in to place from 1 September 2014. This is to improve outcomes for children and young people with complex needs and the experience of parents and carers.

SEND Reforms Implementation Board The multi-disciplinary advisory group has a changed purpose as the focus of activity moves to implementation of the SEND Reforms from 1 September 2014. This Board is now called the SEND Reforms Implementation Board.

For further information, or to get involved with the Hampshire Parent/Carer Network:


The final Regulations and Code of Practice are due to be published 'Spring 2014'. These will provide the final details of what 'must' (statutory requirement) and 'should' (guidance, but not a statutory requirement) be provided with the local authority, schools and health services.

The Local Change Board meets bi-monthly and reports, via the Hampshire Lead Officer (Fliss Dickinson, County Service Manager (SEN and Specialist Teacher Advisory Service), to the SE7 Pathfinder Regional Steering Group which also meets bi-monthly. This Steering Group is responsible for reporting the progress and outcomes of the Pathfinder programme regionally to the SE7 Directors of Children's Services and Leaders and to the Department of Education and Department of Health.

You are hereHantsweb Homeeducation and learningFinancial Help with Transport to School

The Education Officers for SEN lead the assessment and placement teams for each of the areas of the county for which they have responsibility.

Parent Voice - An information and advice service for parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-19 in Hampshire.

So special educational needs could mean that a child or young person has:

What do we mean by co-production?  524 kB

The final Code of Practice, which sets out in plain English the requirements, is due to be published Spring 2014 by the Government.

Short breaks - for children and young people with disabilities and/or additional needs. Find out what short break activities are available and how you can get involved Hampshire Gateway.

Hampshire’s Local Offer has been developed with parents / carers to help you find the right services and support for you and your family.

HPCN have also responded to all consultations relating to the Draft Children & Families Bill and both the indicative and draft SEN Code of Practice. We attend meetings with the DfE and the Government’s appointed delivery partners (Mott Macdonald, Council for Disabled Children etc) to ensure that Hampshire parent carers’ concerns are fed directly into the decision makers.

You are hereHantsweb HomeEducation and LearningServices for Young ChildrenInformation for parents and carersSpecial educational needs