We work with you, your childcarer and other professionals to ensure everyone knows how best to support your child's Special Educational Needs

All organisations who provide services to children and young people, must publish information on their provision for children and young people:

For further information about support available in Bournemouth please see our Local Offer.

4. The current system is Impulse. However, the LA has very recently procured a new integrated children's information system which is to be implemented over the next two years, Tribal.

We ensure all the professionals and services involved with your family know how best to support your child. This may be through exercise programmes, speech and language programmes or personal plans set up to help monitor your child’s progress.

This is a requirement of the SEN)Code of Practice for 0-25 years (opens in a new window).

We couldn’t load the mail server logs for this message.

1. Who is primarily responsible for all Special Educational Needs within the local authority? 2. Do you have an SEN or SENCO/Inclusion Manager, if so what is their name and contact details? 3. Does the authority currently manage SEN and have a system for managing SEN assessments and statements? 4. If so which system do you use?

Somerset Local Offer The Local Offer website has information about services and support available locally for any children and young people with SEND aged 0 to 25.

Visit our Local Offer (opens in a new window)

If you believe this request is not suitable, you can report it for attention by the site administrators

We have a working group to consult with as our local offer develops. Use the tell us what you think form (opens in a new window) on our local offer to join this group or to give your view.

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site AskTheEU.org . Find out more .

Sign up to our parent newsletter to receive regular updates about services for families in Dorset.

This provides information about how we use the ‘graduated approach’ to meet the special educational needs of children and young people in schools and how one level of support is built on by the next level of support, as it becomes necessary.

The service offers training programmes, ranging from half day to short course equivalent on topics related to the support and inclusion of pupils with specific learning difficulties. In addition, SENSS offer a wide range of central training, including specialist teacher training courses (OCR accredited). The service also provides the Every Child A Reader (ECAR) suite of courses including Reading Recovery and a range of introductory and awareness training.

A site to help anyone submit a Freedom of Information request. WhatDoTheyKnow also publishes and archives requests and responses, building a massive archive of information.

The local offer is information about local provision for children and young people:

Find out more about Education Health and Care Needs Assessments and Plans on The Somerset Local Offer.

1. Who is primarily responsible for all Special Educational Needs within the local authority? 2. Do you have an SEN or SENCO/Inclusion Manager, if so what is their name and contact details? 3. Does the authority currently manage SEN and have a system for managing SEN assessments and statements? 4. If so which system do you use?

We acknowledge receipt of your request for information. This will now be passed to the relevant area(s) of the authority and a response sent within 20 working days. If for any reason we cannot respond in full within 20 days, we will let you know.

The local authority has a range of statutory duties in relation to special educational needs (SEN). Within the Children's Services Directorate, Inclusion Services oversees these SEN functions. It also has separate sections for SEN support services, education psychology services and children out of school services, as well as the Youth Offending Team.

The local offer is one of the changes made to support families through the SEN Code of Practice for 0-25 years (opens in a new window).

Read section four of the code of practice for more details.

We regularly consult with the Dorset Parent Carer Council (DPCC) (opens in a new window). They provide valuable feedback on the needs of their members and offer a great network of support. If you are parent/carer of a child who is disabled or has SEN, we recommend becoming a member of the DPCC.

The provision for supporting children and young people with special educational needs and disability is based on the SEND Code of Practice 0 to 25. 

Don't remember if you are on a public or shared computer.

We also work closely with your child's Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENco). We explain how your child is best supported and offer ideas to enhance the activities they provide, to help your child progress.

The service offered to schools range from support for individual pupils through to whole-school approaches to inclusion.

Is [Dorset County Council request email] the wrong address for Freedom of Information requests to Dorset County Council? If so, please contact us using this form: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/help/contact

Somerset SENDIAS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support) Somerset SENDIAS provides information, advice and support about Special Educational Needs and Disability for parent carers, children and young people (up to the age of 25), including Independent Support to help through the Education, Health and Care (EHC) Assessment and Plan process.

Search the Family Information Directory for details of education providers, childcare, activities and services in Dorset.

We oversee a range of support to meet the needs of children and young people in education aged 0 to 25. Educational support is co-ordinated with other services and there are policies and ways of working that shape the services we are providing.


If you are not completely satisfied with my response, please contact me again, or write to the complaints officer at: Dorset County Council, County Hall, Colliton Park, Dorchester, Dorset DT1 1XJ. Or you can follow the complaints procedure that can be found on our website www.dorsetforyou.com at If your appeal is not resolved to your satisfaction, you have the right to apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision.

To find out more Phone 01823 355578 (10am to 3pm during term times) Email info@somersetsend.org.uk Visit our website www.somersetsend.org.uk

We will link to the information on your provision on our Family Information Directory. We have contacted educational establishments and some health services to publish their local offers. We will contact other service providers as the project evolves. Please contact the Family Information Service for more details.

2. The Acting SEN Manager is Phil Saint, who leads the SEN Team engaging with statutory assessment, statements, individual provision, placement and reviews, etc.

The service is staffed by 18 specialist qualified teachers, all with a wide range of special educational experience, both in mainstream and special schools and have a range of post graduate qualifications in the field of SEN.

If your child moves to a different childcarer or starts school, we work to ensure all necessary information about how best to support your child is shared, so that this process is as smooth as possible.

Independent special schools and colleges (opens in a new window)