To achieve this, local authorities use the information from the assessment to:

Wherever possible we want to enable issues and disagreements to be discussed and resolved at the earliest opportunity. This may be an informal chat with a teacher, social worker or health professional initially. Schools, colleges and services will have their own published policies and/or guidance for addressing complaints and disagreements and the arrangements described below are not intended to replace these.

Parents and young people will not be disadvantaged at the tribunal because they have chosen not to go to mediation.

Timescales for the process are set out in the Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 - 25 years.

As you progress through the course you’ll develop as a confident, knowledgeable and effective practitioner when working with children and young people with SEND and their families within your context. It places emphasis on the knowledge, skills and competencies you’ll need to work effectively and inclusively with this group of children and young people in ways that will bring them positive outcomes.

You do not have to contact the mediation adviser prior to registering an appeal with the Tribunal, if the appeal is solely about the name of the school/college/other institution named in the EHC Plan, or the type of school/college/other institution specified in the plan, or the fact that no school or other institution is named.

Special educational needs and disability reforms came into effect on 1 September 2014.

If you have lived outside of the UK in the past five years (excluding holidays), you will need to provide a current satisfactory Certificate of Good Conduct from the country you were resident in. You will need to submit this at your course induction. Further information can be found on the website.

SSSEN provides weekly support to the child and school and liaises regularly with parents and carers. Progress made towards objectives and outcomes recorded in the child's statement or EHC plan is evaluated at the statutory review.

Other provision includes enhanced resource schools, special schools and specialist nurseries.

The service works in partnership with schools, parents/carers and other professionals to deliver a high quality teaching support service which will maximise personalised learning and promote individual inclusion for all pupils.

If your child’s needs are severe or complex, your health visitor or doctor may approach the other services on your behalf.

Families with an EHC plan will be able to request a personal budget to buy services they need.

In April 2014 the Early Help Assessment replaced the Common Assessment Framework (CAF).

A child with special educational needs may need extra help or different help from other pupils of the same age. Only a few children with special educational needs require a detailed assessment by us. This used to be called a statutory assessment of special educational needs. However, from September 2014 it is called an education, health and care needs assessment.

You may want to use Guidance on making a request for an EHC needs assessment 2016 ‌ to help you.

Please Note: A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is required to commence this course at the University. The Disclosure and Barring Service was established when the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) merged in 2012 and will now provide the criminal records checking service for this course.

It is our policy to meet children's needs, wherever possible, in mainstream schools including those schools with enhanced resource status.

The majority of children or young people who receive support from SSSEN are allocated up to ninety minutes support weekly during term time. This time is flexible, depending on the child's/young person's needs. SSSEN provision is specified on statements of special educational needs/EHC Plans as: 'Additional teaching, advice and support will be delivered in school by a teacher from the SSSEN. This will give learning opportunities on at least a weekly basis.'

Look at our glossary if there are any terms you are unsure of the meaning of.

Those who need help using the searches can email or telephone 01332 642611

The Support Service for Special Educational Needs (SSSEN) works directly with pupils with Statements of SEN/Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans and Graduated Response for Individual Pupil (GRIP) Plans in primary schools within Derbyshire.

Enquiries regarding annual reviews due and completion of reviews please contact Assistant Inclusion and Assessment Officer

The SEND Local Offer pages now use symbols to help visitors understand the content better. Hover over a word to get a picture version of that word. Find out more about Widgit Point and symbols.


Parents and young people have two months to register an SEN appeal with the tribunal, from the date of the local authority sent the notice containing a decision which can be appealed or one month from the date of a certificate which has been issued following mediation or the parent or young person being given mediation information, whichever is the later.

Derby College is the designated college for students living in Derby. We will consider giving transport to elsewhere if:

The following people have a right to ask for an education, health and care needs assessment of a child or young person aged between 0 and 25:

Enquiries regarding where a child/student is in the assessment process or annual review/conversion process contact your caseworker

Some of the most significant changes in the act are listed below:

Use our UniPoints app as a guide to calculate your UCAS Tariff points, search for courses and check entry requirements for 2017 and beyond.

Belinda James Acting Head of Service − SSSEN Support Service for Special Educational Needs Derbyshire County Council Council House Saltergate Chesterfield S40 1LF

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress you should first talk to your child’s class teacher. In schools (or pre-school) there is a SEN Co-ordinator (SENCO), who is responsible for co-ordinating help for children with special educational needs. You will be able to talk over your concerns with the teacher and/or SENCO and find out what the school thinks. The SENCO will be able to explain what happens next.

We work in partnership with schools and also provide specialist support services and facilities for a range of learning and behavioural problems and for physical and sensory impairments.

The way UCAS Tariffs are calculated is changing in 2017. The entry requirement below reflects this change. Read more about these changes.

If you are a parent or carer, to make a request you need to complete the EHC needs assessment request form for parents

The tribunal does not hear appeals about personal budgets, but will hear appeals about the special educational provision to which a personal budget may apply.

The tribunal forms part of the First-tier tribunal (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber). Tribunals are overseen by Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service.

More support services and information can be found in Derby City’s Local Offer.

You will study this course at one of our partner colleges.

Following an education,health and care assessment, we may decide to issue an education health and care plan which describes your child's needs and how they should be met. It also gives you the opportunity to express a preference for which maintained school your child should attend.