“Learners’ personal and additional support needs are assessed accurately and quickly”.

“Professional, enthusiastic staff who are caring and passionate about the role they offer their learners and the provision as a whole”.

Please use the links to find out how to contact us to find out more!  We’re really looking forward to meeting you.

The school will always ask your permission when extra help is requested and involve you in discussions. An assessment called a Family Common Assessment Framework (FCAF) is completed when a specialist teacher or educational psychologist works directly with your child to get a better understanding of their needs and best ways to support them. 

“Teachers and support assistants work well together to ensure that learners benefit from a co-ordinated response to their needs. As a result, learners make good progress in developing their subject knowledge and independent learning skills”.

Contact a Family runs the Special Education Needs National Advice Service, providing comprehensive advice and information to parents in England who have a child with SEN, additional needs or disabilities. Visit the website or call the helpline 0808 808 3555.

The aim of the changes is early identification and support for children and young people, and to promote integrated working across, health, social care and education.

The local offer describes the services and support available for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) from birth to 25 and their families in Cambridgeshire. You can find information; help and advice; assessments; plans and policies throughout this section of the website. You can search for services, childcare, schools and colleges in the local offer directory.

The local offer will develop and improve over time in response to feedback and consultation with parents, carers, children and young people and partners. Please tell us what you think about our local offer by emailing: local.offer@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

Mainstream schools, academies and further education colleges have funding to support children with SEND. Details on the funding for schools and colleges is available in our schools and learning section. 

If your child has been identified as having SEN, their school or college must use their best endeavours to put appropriate support in place, this means doing everything they can to meet children and young people’s SEN. This is known as SEN Support which has replaced School Action and School Action Plus.

Depending on your child’s needs, their school may request help from a range of other professionals from the local authority and health services. They could ask for help from:

Early Support: Support for 0 - 5s with complex needs

Cambridgeshire’s Local Offer will help parents, carers and young people to easily understand and access the range of services and support available in their local area. It will include information on local education, leisure activities, support groups, and health and social care services for children and young people aged 0-25 with SEND and their families. It will include information about:

“The highly trained and committed personal learning support team gives exceptional support to students across the college which, when planned with teaching staff, is tailor-made to suit individual needs”.

Huge changes to SEND services and support for children and young people have been brought in following the new Children & Families Act 2014, which came into force in September 2014.  Around one in five children in the UK are currently identified as having some form of special educational need or disability, and the new law aims to join up support across education, health and social care from birth up to the age of 25.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) works with two local authority partners within its area on The Local Offer; Peterborough City Council and Cambridgeshire County Council. Each are developing areas on their website and other supporting materials and directories to help you find all the information you need about SEND, in one place.

All schools have a SENCo. The SENCo is responsible for making sure that your child has received the appropriate support in their class and advises the class teacher on other strategies and programmes to use with your child. With your permission the SENCo may also raise your child for discussion with an outside agency such as a specialist teacher or educational psychologist from our SEND Specialist Services.

Visit the Cambridgeshire SEND pages or the Peterborough SEND pages to find out information on:

Offers free advice to parents of children with special educational needs, including help with tribunals. 

Our proven record in SEN advisory support has made us the recognised market leaders in this field. Our service is underpinned by our collaboration with some of the best thinkers in the public and private sectors. The challenge to achieve this is causing a lot of concern within the health, education and social service sectors both at a national and local level. We can help you meet the challenge.

Across the special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) web pages, the children and families pages and in our local offer directory, there is information on: 

You may also be interested in the local offer jargon buster (pdf, 131kb) containing explanations of widely used terms and acronyms. 

The directory is another way of finding information in your local area. Here you can find information on services and support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families.  

Our SEND Information, Advice and Support Service has produced a leaflet on SEN Support that provides a helpful summary of SEN support and what to expect from your child's school.  Download the SEN Support leaflet (pdf,136.68kb) 

Cambridgeshire has 3115 children and young people with a statement of SEN. www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk

If your child has complex special educational needs that are not met by the support their school or college puts in place, an Education, Health and Care needs assessment can be requested from the local authority, where the school or setting make it clear what has already been put in place, and the effect that this has had on the child’s learning and progress.

Read about  Education, Health and Care Plans which have replaced SEN Statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments. 

“Every opportunity is made to make the learners feel included in the college. Special provisions are made for lunch times. There is a lot of good will from staff to ensure these are successful. For example, games session during lunch, which learners seemed to enjoy. Some staff also give up their time to spend lunch with the learners”.

Please click on the button below for the Local Offer


There's also a timetable setting out the planned dates for transfering existing Statements and LDAs. to EHCPs for children and young people at various stages in settings, schools and colleges. The job is being phased over the next few years, so take a look and find out when your son or daughter's transfer is due to take place.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provided by The Parent Partnership Service offers impartial information and advice on special educational needs to parents, carers and young people.

If you know someone who would like to use the local offer but does not have internet access, please ask them to visit their nearest library, where free internet access is available.  Find your local library.

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service provided by the Parent Partnership Service

SEN Support has a clear cycle of assessment of progress, planning and putting in place the appropriate support and reviewing your child’s progress. This is known as “Assess, Plan, Do, Review”.  You should be fully involved in the discussions about your child’s needs and the support that is put in place.

The local offer is part of the reforms to support for children and young people with SEND under the Children and Families Act 2014.  You can find out more about the reforms in the Department for Education's Guide for Parents and Carers and Mencap's easy read guide.

Visit the County Council's SEND web pages with information on services and support for children and young people who have special educational needs or disabilities. Or go to the council's Local Offer website page which explains the support and services available locally to SEND families.

If you are interested in a Supportive Education course, designed specifically for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, please click on the Supportive Education link to the right.

+44 (0) 1223 463757 enquiries@camb-ed.com For existing bookings please contact us on: +44 (0) 1223 577442 events@camb-ed.com

Read our Guidance for schools on identification of SEN and SEN Support (doc, 243kb)