Campus: You will study this course at one of our partner colleges.

Children make progress at different rates and have different ways they learn best. Teachers take account of this when they organise lessons and teach. Children making slower progress, or having difficulties in one area, may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed.

This course will prepare you for a wide range of careers in the SEND sector, including family liaison, advocacy, inclusion support, teaching assistance, mentoring, adult education, and careers services.

You’ll benefit from practical experience by undertaking two placements during the course. You can choose to be based in a range of settings such as hospitals, schools, social services, adult provision or charitable organisations.

Derbyshire County Council County Hall Matlock Derbyshire DE4 3AG

We have planned how and when children and young people who have a Statement of Educational Need or a Learning Difficulty Assessment will get these converted to Education Health Care Plans.

Students change school at set periods in their school career:

Umbrella Independent Support Service  can offer help and support with the EHC process.

A child with special educational needs may need extra help or different help from other pupils of the same age. Only a few children with special educational needs require a detailed assessment by us. This used to be called a statutory assessment of special educational needs. However, from September 2014 it is called an education, health and care needs assessment.

You could also continue on to postgraduate study in a range of areas including teaching, health, psychological services, and social care.

The majority of children or young people who receive support from SSSEN are allocated up to ninety minutes support weekly during term time. This time is flexible, depending on the child's/young person's needs. SSSEN provision is specified on statements of special educational needs/EHC Plans as: 'Additional teaching, advice and support will be delivered in school by a teacher from the SSSEN. This will give learning opportunities on at least a weekly basis.'

Working in special educational needs and disability support can be one of the most rewarding, inspiring and satisfying careers. This course will prepare you for a broad range of roles working with individuals that have special learning needs, such as specific learning difficulties, physical disabilities, behavioural problems and sensory impairments.

Derby College is the designated college for students living in Derby. We will consider giving transport to elsewhere if:

Throughout the degree, you’ll be supported and encouraged to develop your capacity to evaluate, analyse and critically engage in the field of SEND, drawing on a wide range of learning, teaching and assessment activities. As you progress, you’ll be expected to undertake increasing responsibility for independent self-directed study, drawing on the range of resources available to you. At all levels, you are invited to engage in e-learning opportunities.

Parents and young people will not be disadvantaged at the tribunal because they have chosen not to go to mediation.

You can ask for someone from the SEN team at the council to attend a Transfer Review meeting if you feel it will be helpful.

It will also be helpful to have the family views shared on the Family Views Form for EHC request and the child views shared on Child or young person's views for EHC - assessment request at the time of making a request.

Support for pupils in mainstream schools without a statement is clearly set out in the descriptors for primary and secondary provision at the 'school support stage'.

Families with an EHC plan will be able to request a personal budget to buy services they need.

Our specialist course has been designed to equip you with an in-depth understanding of all aspects of SEND. You’ll regularly engage in discussions and debates surrounding SEND, using current and thought provoking research to stimulate your thinking. The skills and knowledge that you’ll develop will be underpinned by the exploration of the possible psychological, sociological, philosophical and biological causes of SEND.

Anyone else can bring a child or young person who has (or may have) SEN to the attention of the local authority, particularly where they think an EHC needs assessment may be necessary. This could include:

HM Courts and Tribunal Service,Special Educational Needs and Disability tribunal,1st Floor,Darlington Magistrates' Court,Parkgate,Darlington DL1 1ZD

Enquiries regarding where a child/student is in the assessment process or annual review/conversion process contact your caseworker

The Children and Families Act - Part 3 will introduce education, health and care (EHC) plans for children and young people with the most complex special educational needs. This will replace the statement of special educational needs assessment.

We recommend that you also read our SEND Local Offer Disclaimer.

Most children with statements or education health and care plans will be educated in mainstream schools, but places at enhanced resource and special schools are given to some pupils with statements or education health and care plans.

Those who need help using the searches can email or telephone 01332 642611

More information about our provision for children with special educational needs is available on the Local Offer Website (opens in a new window).

The term special educational needs is used when children have a learning difficulty or disability, which makes it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age.


There are a number of people who can help you. Below are contact details for people providing differnt types of information or support you may need:

Fees for the academic year 2017/18 have not yet been confirmed for this course.

Before registering an SEN appeal with the tribunal the young person or the child’s parent must consider mediation unless an exemption applies. Parents and young people must contact a mediation adviser before registering an appeal about EHC needs assessments or the SEN element of an EHC plan. 

We work in partnership with schools and also provide specialist support services and facilities for a range of learning and behavioural problems and for physical and sensory impairments.

The SEND Local Offer pages now use symbols to help visitors understand the content better. Hover over a word to get a picture version of that word. Find out more about Widgit Point and symbols.

You will need to give us a letter from Derby College, or any nearer college, if appropriate, that tells us they cannot offer the facilities that the student needs.

There are no exams. You’ll be assessed through small group work, individual peer presentations, completion of directed tasks and drafting of tasks, tutorial discussions and coursework. 

You may want to use Guidance on making a request for an EHC needs assessment 2016 ‌ to help you.

Most requests are made by educational settings (usually the school), they should have evidence of support and interventions already in place and will hold information on progress made to date.

Some children and young people may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the local authority to decide whether it is necessary for it to make provision in accordance with an EHC plan.

Belinda James Acting Head of Service − SSSEN Support Service for Special Educational Needs Derbyshire County Council Council House Saltergate Chesterfield S40 1LF