Late in the 18th century Alderman William Fletcher of Oxford, who was born in Yarnton, gave St. Bartholomew's six alabaster reliefs carved by a Nottingham sculptor in the 15th century and said to have been found during excavations near St Edmund Hall, Oxford. Four of the panels now form a reredos in the chancel. In the 1860s the other two were transferred to London: one to the British Museum and the other to the Victoria and Albert Museum.
The Counsellors ensure that students are looked after pastorally, culturally and socially during their programme. Students are able to talk informally and frankly to the Counsellors in order to raise concerns or to discuss university applications.
In 1897 the new owner, HR Franklin, engaged the Gothic revival architect Thomas Garner who restored the remaining part of the house. In the 1930s the property belonged to George Alfred Kolkhorst, Reader in Spanish at Oxford University.
A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 12, Wootton Hundred (South) Including Woodstock. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1990.
The remains of 15th century wall paintings including a Nativity are visible over the chancel arch. Above it are what may be remnants of a Massacre of the Innocents. Other paintings may survive under the current limewash, including what may be a large Saint Christopher over the north doorway.
Pixey and Yarnton Meads were declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest for their flora and fauna in 1955.
St. Bartholomew's: Perpendicular Gothic font from St Michael at the North Gate, Oxford
Monument to Elizabeth Mordant (or Mordaunt) (died 1706), daughter of the 2nd Earl of Peterborough
var sc_project=4528270; var sc_invisible=1; var sc_partition=34; var sc_click_stat=1; var sc_security="fff3681a";
The windows of St Bartholomew's nave contain many examples of 15th and 16th century stained glass. A few of these were made for Yarnton, but most came from elsewhere and were given by William Fletcher between 1812 and 1816.
In the manor, students are overseen by the Programme Director, who implements the day-to-day running of the programme. The Director is assisted by a team of Counsellors who very often are current members of the University of Oxford.
Baroque monument to Jane Spencer, Viscountess Tiveot (or Teviot) (died 1689)
The Church of England parish church of Saint Bartholomew was in existence by 1161 as a chapel attached to Eynsham Abbey. The Norman building from that period was completely rebuilt in the 13th century in the Early English Gothic style. The Perpendicular Gothic windows in the nave were added much later, followed by the clerestory in about 1600.
Yarnton has a strong Scout group located in the center of the village.
St. Bartholomew's had a 16th-century clock. In 1641 this was replaced with a new clock with a one-handed face. The new clock cost £5 18s 0d plus the scrap value of the old clock, and it took a whole week to install. Keeping the new clock running required frequent repairs, of which there are records from 1648, 1651, 1658, 1665, 1680, 1682, 1685, 1703, 1716 and 1730. The repair in 1703 was by the noted clockmaker John Knibb of Oxford.
In 2007 the village hosted the Festinho festival which raised money for Brazilian children.
Victorian monument to Charlotte Spencer-Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough (died 1850) in the Spencer Chapel of St. Bartholomew's
In 1875 the school moved to newly built larger premises in Church Lane. The new school buildings were extended in 1901. In 1932 the school was reorganised as a junior school, with senior pupils being transferred to the newly opened secondary school at Gosford. Yarnton school was enlarged again in 1955. In 1971 it moved to new premises in Rutten Lane and became the William Fletcher primary school The 1817 and 1875 school buildings are now private houses.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The main road between Oxford and Woodstock passes just east of the village. In 1719 it was made a turnpike and a toll house was built on Woodstock Road by the Turnpike public house (formerly called "The Grapes"). The road ceased to be a turnpike in 1878. It is now the A44 trunk road.
In about 1670 Sir Thomas Spencer, 3rd Baronet had the interior of the house remodelled. In 1695, a decade after his death, most of the manor's land was sold to Sir Robert Dashwood of Kirtlington Park. In 1718 Yarnton manor house was reported to be in a "ruinated condition". The north and south wings were demolished, possibly in about 1756 by Sir Robert's successor Sir James Dashwood.
Yarnton Manor makes a wonderful entertainment space all year round. In the summer, its manicured lawns are the perfect setting for sophisticated Champagne receptions and a leisurely game of croquet and boules. In the winter, roaring fires illuminate the wood-panelled rooms with an inviting glow.
Yarnton Manor dates from the Norman Conquest and was held by the Spencer family from 1580 to 1712. Sir Thomas Spencer had the present manor house, a large Jacobean country mansion, built in 1611. During the English Civil War the house seems to have served as a Royalist military hospital: in 1643–45 about 40 Royalist soldiers were buried in St Bartholomew's churchyard.
Woodland in the parish is now limited to lands around Yarnton Manor and the southwest side of the village, comprising mainly Spring Hill bordering the Duke of Marlborough's Bladon and Begbroke hunting forest.
Yarnton Football Club plays in the Oxfordshire Senior Football League. A separate youth football club, Yarnton Blues FC, plays in the Witney and District Youth Football League.
Yarnton Manor is a recognised member of the Historic Houses Association, who represent over 1,600 of the United Kingdom’s historic buildings and stately homes. All HHA properties are, like Yarnton Manor, Grade I or II listed, and comprise a significant portion of the country’s cultural heritage. Other HHA properties you may be familiar with include Blenheim Palace, Longleat House, and Highclere Castle.
Yarnton has two public houses: the Red Lion on Cassington Road and the Turnpike on the A44 Woodstock Road.
Yarnton is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire about 1 mile (1.6 km) southwest of Kidlington and 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Oxford. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 2,545.
Early Bronze Age decorated beakers have been found in the parish. These suggest human activity in the area somewhere between 2700 and 1700 BC.
Yarnton Nurseries Garden & Shopping Village Sandy Lane, Yarnton, Kidlington, Oxon. OX5 1PA Telephone: 01865 372124 Email: email@example.com Opening Hours: Monday - Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm, Sunday 10.30am - 4.30pm Join our mailing list, we will not share your details with any third parties
St. Bartholomew's has two baptismal fonts. Its original font is Norman, but William Fletcher added a second font, a Perpendicular Gothic one from about 1400, that was removed from St Michael at the North Gate parish church in Oxford.
The manor has a few members of residential staff who live on-site throughout the programme and are able to assist students at any time of the day or night.
Yarnton Band is a brass band that was founded in 1959. At its peak[when?] it competed in the national second section. The band continues to play and regularly performs at local events.
The toponym has evolved from Erdington in Old English to Eyrynten in 1495–96, Yardington in the 16th century but also Yarnton from 1517. The form "Yarnton" eventually prevailed. Erdington may have originally meant either "dwelling place" or "Earda's farm".
A series or irregular late Iron Age to early Roman enclosures in the parish, two of which are between 10 metres (33 ft) and 12 metres (39 ft) across, are known from cropmarks.
If you are planning an exclusive-use event, our team would be delighted to assist with your enquiry. Please click the enquire button to request further information.ENQUIRE Connect with us Please note, Yarnton Manor is not open to the public.
Most of the land at Yarnton was granted to Eynsham Abbey in 1005 but Remigius de Fécamp, a supporter of William the Conqueror, took it during the Norman conquest of England in 1066. In 1226 King Henry III gave it to Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, and in 1281 Edmund, 2nd Earl of Cornwall gave it to Rewley Abbey. In the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 Rewley Abbey was dissolved and King Henry VIII sold Yarnton to his physician.
Yarnton has had a licensed public house since at least 1587. The Six Bells Inn is reputed to have gained its name in 1620, about the time that St. Bartholomew's acquired its ring of six bells (see above). The inn certainly bore this name by 1670. The Six Bells is no longer a public house but survives as a private house opposite the Red Lion.
Sir Thomas Spencer added the Spencer chapel, also Perpendicular Gothic, in 1611. The chapel houses monuments including Sir William Spencer (died 1609), Sir Thomas Spencer, 3rd Baronet (died 1684) and Charlotte Spencer-Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough (died 1850). The chapel's windows contain heraldic stained glass representing branches of the Spencer family and are the largest collection of early 17th century heraldic glass in Oxfordshire.