Before World War II at a site between Watchet and Doniford a gunnery range was established for various army units to practice anti-aircraft gunnery. Unmanned target aircraft were towed by planes from RAF Weston Zoyland and later were fired from catapults over the sea.[11] Little of the camp buildings survive and it is now the site of a holiday park.[12]

What to see and do nearby

Now you have an alternative place to visit – although we will still continue to use our Williton Parish Council notice board which is located on the public toilet block in the car park opposite the District Council offices.

“The present 25 lever frame, of Great Western 5-bar Vertical Tappet type, is the third that the box has possessed, and was provided in 1937 when the track signalling along the entire line was improved to allow longer passenger trains to operate during the tourist season.” ( source: www.signalbox.org)

History A History of the County of Somerset Volume V Edited by R.W. Dunning

The layout of the building is shown on the 1880s map below.

Fill out your e-mail address to receive our newsletter!

A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded parish workhouses in operation at Bicknoller (with accommodation for up to 10 inmates), Carhampton (30), Clatworthy (8), Crowcombe (7), Dunster (30), Minehead (60), Nettlecombe (24), Old Cleeve (50), St Decumans (60), and Wotton Courtenay (16).

Lovely spacious self catering cottage near Dunster, Somerset in Exmoor National Park

The main block of the workhouse consisted of an octagonal four-storey central hub, flanked by two three-storey wings to the east and west.

The West Somerset area uses a three-tier education system. St Peters Church of England First School was opened on its present site in Doniford Road in 1996. It has five classes of mixed ability. There is a fairly large middle school — Danesfield Church of England — which caters for children between 9 and 13. Older students generally travel to the West Somerset Community College in Minehead.

A book showing Williton as it used to be is The Book of Williton.

"Excellent for a warm and friendly welcome, lovely breakfast and kind and helpful owners"

St. Audries Bay Holiday Club on the Somerset Coast at the foot of the Quantock Hills....

A true country branch line of the old Great Western Railway is full of fascination. We offer various services including:

The cottages next to the church are called Church Cottages, part of the group originating in the 16th century and were used for the brewing of church ales.

Welcome to the Itinerary Planner. Use this tool to build your own journey or choose from an exciting range of specially selected tours.

The village falls within the non-metropolitan district of West Somerset, which was formed on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, having previously been part of Williton Rural District.[14] The district council is responsible for local planning and building control, local roads, council housing, environmental health, markets and fairs, refuse collection and recycling, cemeteries and crematoria, leisure services, parks, and tourism. Williton is an electoral ward of the district.

The Medical Centre at the end of Killick Way has a doctors surgery and pharmacy. Williton Hospital, off North Street, is a part of the Somerset Coast Primary Care Trust but does not have a casualty department. The nearest dentists are in Williton or Minehead.

Nestled at the foothills of Exmoor National Park and overlooking the historic Minehead...

The Signal box is still working today, it was saved from destruction after the line was closed in 1971, being restored to full working order by the volunteers of the West Somerset Railway. The level crossing is protected by gates, which are worked by hand, although there is an interlocking lever to release the signals when the gates are locked across the road.

Chidgey, Joyce; Chidgey, Maurice. (2007). The Book of Watchet and Williton Revisited. Wellington, Somerset: Halsgrove Publishing. ISBN 1-84114-628-5.

We welcome family bookings and group bookings so don't hesitate to contact us to arrange discounts. Parking Space Available for up to 14 Vehicles.

Somerset County Council is responsible for running the largest and most expensive local services such as education, social services, libraries, main roads, public transport, policing and fire services, trading standards, waste disposal and strategic planning.

Williton

The population falling within the union at the 1831 census had been 18,047 with parishes ranging in size from Stoke Pero (population 61) to St Decuman's (2,120). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1833-35 had been £9,297 or 10s.4d. per head.

It is also part of the Bridgwater and West Somerset county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election, and part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament which elects seven MEPs using the d'Hondt method of party-list proportional representation.

Located in Taunton, our rural guest house is approximately a mile from the train station....

Williton has a regular monthly newsletter, delivered free to all homes in the village, called the Williton Window. The slogan is 'Your church and community magazine'. An information pack is available to newcomers through Williton Window.

The Board of Guardians had their inaugural meeting in May 1836, and later that year acquired a site for a new workhouse on the north side of Long Street on the eastern side of Williton. George Gilbert Scott and William Bonython Moffat were appointed architects to design the building which was required to accommodate 200 and cost no more than £4,000. The building was completed in January 1840, although it had come into operation several months before.

Williton Station has a booking office which sells the full range of West Somerset Railway Tickets which can be found by visiting the Fares Pages.The Station has toilets but no disabled toilet facilities, and serves a range of hot and cold refreshments.

The government poor law act of the 18xx led to the formation of Williton Poor Law Union. This was formed on 19th May 1836. It was to be overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 41 in number, representing its 36 constituent parishes. ( Bicknoller, Crowcombe, West Quantoxhead, Nettlecombe, Monksilver, Stogumber, Sampford Brett being examples of its constituted parishes)

Each of our bedrooms have been furnished and decorated to a high standard, providing luxury accommodation at reasonable prices in West Somerset.

Here we can do much more – like keeping you up to date with all that is happening in the Parish, with regular news flashes – and, where necessary, linking it to actions discussed or taken on your behalf at Parish Council meetings.

The Board of Guardians had their inaugural meeting in May 1836, and later that year acquired a site for a new workhouse on the north side of Long Street on the eastern side of Williton. George Gilbert Scott and William Bonython Moffat were appointed architects to design the building which was required to accommodate 200 and cost no more than £4,000. The building was completed in January 1840, although it had come into operation several months before.

Once it ceased being a workhouse it became the local hospital closing in 1990 when the new Hospital opened.

An information leaflet on West Somerset organisations is available from the West Somerset Free Press.

Family owned and run St. Audries is set in 20 secluded acres in an “Area of Outstanding...

For a number of years after it closed as a Hospital the buildings were left in a sorry state of decay but now the whole site has been converted into a number of residential units. The site has been named Sir Gilbert Scott Court in honour of one of its original Architects.

The Signal Box was completed in 1875 and is one of only two still surviving today, and was to begin with the only intermediate box on the branch line, originally it used interlocked signalling.

The west wing contained the men's dining room, day room, boy's school, and sleeping quarters. The east wing contained similar accommodation for the women and girls. To the rear was a smaller wing containing a kitchen and scullery on the ground floor, and an "imbecile's bedroom" on the first floor. To the rear of the site were tramps' accommodation and a small hospital. An 1896 plan shows the ground-floor layout at that time: