The name of the village has its origins in the Old Norse word vibbatoft, meaning "Vibbi's homestead".
The small church of St Mary is sited in a field to the east of the village. There are no burials around the church and the church consists of a chancel (15ft by 13ft) and a nave (40ft by 18ft) with a bellcote at the west end holding one bell. The church was rebuilt in the 19th century but on the original sandstone plinth that the earlier church stood on. There is partitioning at the west end for a small vestry and lobby, there are no memorials and all the fittings are modern.
At the west end is a small vestry and you can see the bell rope for the bellcote
Need professional imagery solutions? From aerial work to 360° solutions including Google Streetview we offer professional service and results.
One of six churches in the Upper Soar Benefice. See "Our Web Site" for more details.
This small church has a ‘cosy homely’ feel and has been well cared for.
The church is still used and well supported by the local community which is pleasing to see. The church is locked but is accessible via a gate and short path. There are no facilities in the village itself but there is Claybrooke nearby or larger Lutterworth.
A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 6, Knightlow Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1951.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
From enquiries carried out so far, officers believe that the man was clipped by a goods vehicle and the driver may not be aware that they have hit someone.
Fully insured and BNUSc qualified drone pilot for aerial photography and video. From weddings to surveys of historical buildings - get the best possible perspective. Click the drone to find out more..
Now this entry could be controversial, only because the majority of the village and the chapel of St Mary are actually in Warwickshire and not in Leicestershire. I have decided to add the chapel as some of the village is in Leicestershire where it is bisected by the busy A5. With a population of 50 this small hamlet nestles in a small hollow south-west of the city of Leicester and is 5 miles north-west of Lutterworth.
The road was closed in both directions while an investigation of the scene was carried out. Both carriageways were reopened by 7am.
World War II plaque for HMS Keppel adopted by the village. She was a Blackwood Type 14 second-rate anti-submarine frigate that was scrapped in 1979.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464175.
Were you driving a goods vehicle on the A5, Watling Street, Leicester, at around 1am this morning (Saturday 17 September)?
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
This short URL can be used as a quick link to this page on smartphones, email and Twitter etc.
Wibtoft is a small village and civil parish in the Rugby borough of Warwickshire, England. The village was originally within the civil parish of Claybrooke Magna in Leicestershire and, according to the 2001 Census, had a population of 50. It is mostly an agricultural community. From the 2011 census the population has been included in Monks Kirby.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
WIBTOFT, a chapelry, in the parish of Claybrooke, union of Lutterworth, Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 5½ miles (W. N. W.) from Lutterworth. 
Officers would like to hear from goods vehicle drivers or anyone else who was in the area who may have information or dashcam footage which could help with the investigation.
This long URL is the full search engine friendly link to your page.
Due to its small size Wibtoft has neither shops nor pubs, but does have a small church. The ecclesiastical parish crosses the county boundary and is 'Claybrooke cum Wibtoft' and thus falls in the Diocese of Leicester.
The church at Wibtoft is LOCKED. More information here.
This QR Code contains a simplified web address for your church entry. Print it onto envelopes, newsletter, promotions etc. to enable visitors with mobile devices e.g. smartphones to get to your A Church Near You page without having to remember and type the full URL
In 1004 Wulfric Spott bequethed land at Wibtoft to Athelric for life, and then to his newly formed abbey of Burton in Staffordshire. However the village is never recorded in Burton Abbeys documents so there is some confusion whether it actually was bequeathed. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as being held by Fulk and Robert the Count of Meulan and before 1066 was held by a Sexi. It passed through many hands and after the Dissolution was let to a Joan Hulley.
Due to its location in a sheltered valley just south of High Cross, and local finds of Roman coins and stonework, some historians have speculated that it sits upon the site of a Roman settlement, but there has been no archaeological excavation to confirm this.
The village is next to the A5 road (Watling Street), which here defines the border between Warwickshire and Leicestershire. Wibtoft is about 10 miles (16 km) north of Rugby; about half a mile north of Wibtoft is High Cross (Veronae), the point at which the old Roman roads of Watling Street and Fosse Way cross.
A man was found deceased on the northbound carriageway between the village of Wibtoft and High Cross junction.