Click here for route planning around the station including maps and platforms. Please note: you will be redirected to the National Rail Enquiries website.
Each year Wem holds a traditional town carnival on the first Saturday of September, as well as the Sweet Pea Festival.
It is with great pleasure that Wem Town Council are delighted to announce... Team Wem Project 29th July 2016
Route planning around the station including maps and platforms
Wem is now the home of the modern Sweet Pea which was developed by Henry Eckford, the 19th Century nurseryman. Every year Eckford’s contribution to gardening is celebrated at the Sweet Pea Show which, along with the annual carnival, brings a riot of colour to the town.
Thomas Adams School is a state-funded secondary school, established in 1650. It also has a Sixth Form College on site.
This North Shropshire market town originated as a Saxon settlement.
The unique Mythstories Museum of Myth & Fable is also located in the town.
Wem Fire Station is operated by an on-call crew of firefighters.
North Shropshire Market Town, famed for connection with Sweet Peas.
Sorry, no record were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
The River Roden flows to the south of the town. The Shropshire Way long distance waymarked path passes through Wem.
Within the town there are four main churches. The oldest of these is the Anglican Parish Church of St. Peter & St. Paul. The other three are Baptist, Methodist and Roman Catholic.
Wem Town HallHigh Street, Wem, Shropshire, SY4 5DGAdmin Telephone: 01939 232 299Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wem was historically the centre of a large parish, which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1900 the outer parts of the parish were separated to form the civil parish of Wem Rural, and the town itself became the civil parish of Wem Urban, coextensive with Wem Urban District. In 1967 the urban district was abolished and became part of North Shropshire Rural District. From 1974 to 2009 it was part of North Shropshire district.
Wem was the fiefdom of Judge Jeffreys, known as the "hanging judge" for his willingness to impose capital punishment on supporters of the Duke of Monmouth. His seat was Lowe Hall at The Lowe, Wem. In 1683 he was made Baron Jeffreys of Wem.
The electoral ward of Wem for the purposes of elections to Shropshire Council also covers part of Wem Rural parish. The population of this ward at the 2011 Census was 8,234.
The town was virtually demolished as a result of battle during the War of the Roses and during the Civil War. In 1643 the town was attacked by a band of 5,000 Royalist soldiers only to be defeated by 40 Parliamentarians with a lot of help from the towns womenfolk!
Wem was also the birthplace of actors Peter Vaughan and Peter Jones,.
Wem has always prided itself on it’s wide selection of small shops offering both residents and visitors alike a warm welcome, friendly service and a diverse range of products all served at a more leisurely pace.
There is a meeting room available for public use, with whiteboard and kitchen facilities. The room has seating for around 16 people and has facilities for people with disabilities. To make an enquiry about facilities or to book the room please use the contact form.
Stand-up and comedy actor Greg Davies spent his childhood in the town and attended its Thomas Adams School, as did professional wrestler Neil Faith. John Astley, an 18th-century portrait painter, was from the town. Anna Essinger moved her boarding school to Trench Hall, near Wem when Bunce Court was given short notice to evacuate during World War II. Sybil Ruscoe, radio and television presenter was also born in Wem.
The name of the town is derived from the Saxon "Wamm", meaning a marsh, as marshy land exists in the area of the town. Over time, this was corrupted to form "Wem".
Since 1978, Wem has been twinned with Fismes in France, after which is named a road in Wem, Fismes Way.
The parish council of Wem Urban has exercised its right to call itself a town council.
Set your location and we can give you information about services in your area.
The town supported the Parliamentarians in the English Civil War, and was subject to an attack by Lord Capel, in which the town held off the attackers. In 1677, a fire destroyed many of the wooden buildings in the town.
© 2016 Shropshire Tourism & Leisure Guide / Virtual Shropshire
Wem Sports & Social Club Butler Sports Centre Wem Shropshire SY4 5AP View with Google Maps
The Domesday Book records that Wem was held by William Pantulf, First Lord of Wem, from Earl Roger.
The area now known as Wem is believed to have been settled prior to the Roman Conquest of Britain, by the Cornovii, Celtic Iron Age settlers. The town is recorded in the Domesday Book as consisting of four manors in the hundred of Hodnet. In 1202, Wem became a market town. From the 12th century revisions to the hundreds of Shropshire, Wem was within the North Division of Bradford Hundred until the end of the 19th century.
Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service Service Headquarters St Michael's Street Shrewsbury Shropshire SY1 2HJ
Wem's civil parish is named Wem Urban. A separate civil parish in the surrounding countryside is named Wem Rural.
Wem is a small market town in Shropshire, England. It is the administrative centre for the northern area committee of Shropshire Council, which has its headquarters at Edinburgh House in the centre of Wem. Wem lies nine miles to the north of Shropshire's county town of Shrewsbury and sits on the rail line between that town and Crewe in Cheshire.