Badminton, Zumba, 5-A-Side football, Give Blood, The Village Show
Although some of old Weaverham still survives much has been lost. For many years from the turn of the century until well after the Great War, Weaverham altered hardly at all. New housing developments began the change in the character of the old village. Unfortunately road widening and other factors lost seven of the old black and white (Magpie) cottages so typical of old Cheshire.
St. Mary’s church is the parish church of Weaverham and Acton Bridge and linked to the Northwich and Winsford Circuit of the Methodist Church.
In partnership with the Royal Voluntary Service (RVS), Weaverham Library provides a free Books on Wheels service to anyone who is housebound in the area. Volunteers deliver books or talking books on a regular basis, free of charge. All the volunteers are CRB checked.
Afternoon Tea in aid of Alzheimer's SocietyRead More ⇒
Visit our marketplace for information and advice. Drop in between 6pm and 8pm and find out about your local health services.
School visits are warmly welcomed. Please contact the school office on 01606 288050 to arrange an appointment.
Old street lighting with paraffin oil lamps and the village lamplighter have vanished too along with several farms, the Vicarage and the old Ring O'Bells.
St Mary’s Church Church Street Weaverham Cheshire CW8 3NJ
Briefing that outlines and details the financial challenge Briefing & CCG Assurance outcome
The saddest loss is that of the old village craftsmen. The Smithy with its Farrier and the Shoemaker's workshop have gone from Station Road. Also the Wheelwright's and Carter's from West Road. Saddlers, tinsmiths, printers and clogmakers have all gone from the village.
Directions: Coming from Northwich, with the row of shops on Northwich Road on your right, turn left into Withens Lane, then left into Russet Road. The library is the third building on the left.
We have received a "Good" rating from our regulators the CQC.
Cheshire West and Chester Council is launching a review to help shape future services.
Weaverham is adjacent to Owley Wood, part of the Mersey Forest. The wood extends for over five hectares along the River Weaver valley and is named after the tawny owls which inhabit the area.
We are a mixed fellowship, old and young, men and women seeking to worship God and come under the teaching of the Bible, God’s Word.
The Middle Ages saw a steady, though not spectacular growth. In 1272 the last baronial owner, Roger de Clifford gave the manor to his wife Lauretania. On her death, it passed to the Crown as part of the Earldom of Chester. In 1277 Edward I founded Vale Royal Abbey, traditionally in return for being saved from shipwreck during a Channel crossing. Part of the land given to the monks in that foundation was the manor of Weaverham.
A caring community encouraging children to become independent, lifelong learners.
Weaverham is also home to the Anglican church of St Mary's, the Roman Catholic church of St Bede's and the Methodist church of All Saints. From September 2011, the Storehouse Church also meets weekly in Weaverham.
The new Earl, Hugh of Avranches, found Weaverham 'waste' but, by 1086, was well on the way to restoring some of its fortunes. The population was between 100 and 200, which out of a national population of one and a half million indicates a substantial size.
An electoral ward in the name of Weaver and Cuddington exists. This covers both parishes and the surrounding area. The total population of the ward at the 2011 census was 12,779.
The schools in Weaverham include the following: one high school: Weaverham High School; three primary schools: St. Bede's Roman Catholic Primary School, Weaverham Forest School and University Primary Academy Weaverham, formerly Wallerscote Community Primary School. There is also a special needs school, The Russett School.
For the next 300 years, the Cistercian monks of Vale Royal ruthlessly ruled Weaverham, probably from Hefferston Grange. They maintained a prison and a courthouse. By tradition, the site of the former is in the vicinity of the footpath that leads from High Street to Fieldway and the coal merchant's yard, while the latter became the Grammar School. The Ledger-book of the Abbey contains some interesting references which cast light on some aspects of village life at this time.
A new care record will allow health and social ...
Disabled parking: There is one disabled parking space in the library car park.
Weaverham is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. Just off the A49, it is just to the west of Northwich and south of the River Weaver, and has a population of 6,589, decreasing to 6,391 at the 2011 Census.
We are part of, NHS Vale Royal Clinical Commissioning Group.
The evidence for Weaverham before the eleventh century comes from the Domesday Book 1086. Although compiled for William I (1066-87), it records the situation in the reign of the Saxon king, Edward the Confessor (1042-66), for comparison with England after the Norman Conquest. It is a reasonable assumption that the Weaverham of the middle of the 11th century was similar to previous Saxon centuries.
Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (MCHFT) is asking for the help of the local community as more patients than ever are attending Leighton…
We seek to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with our villages.
The settlement may be older as some evidence is available for the existence of a Roman road branching off Watling Street to cross the river possibly at, or near, Saltersford. Support for an earlier settlement may come from the discovery of an Iron Age axe at Acton.
Do you know anyone who is housebound and has no-one to collect books or talking books for them? We can help. Or do you have a few hours spare to volunteer? For further information, please contact the library.
The crossing over the Weaver is the likely cause of a hamlet in the area, although the growth of the Saxon manor owes much to ownership of the Earl of Mercia and its proximity to Delamere Forest.
Our vision is to share the light and hope of Jesus with our community.
The name of the village is Saxon in origin. 'Wivreham', 'Weverham', 'Weaverham' and 'Waverham', have all been used to name the hamlet on the banks of the River Weaver.