var sc_project=4528270; var sc_invisible=1; var sc_partition=34; var sc_click_stat=1; var sc_security="fff3681a";
By train: the nearest station to Watlington is Henley on Thames – 10.7 miles. The Train Line has all the rail options.By road: Watlington is 46 miles from London. The AA Classic Route Planner will provide a tailor-made route.
Watlington has a cricket club. Its first eleven plays in Oxfordshire Cricket Association League Division 3.
In October 2014 the Parish Council made Watlington Parish Council (Off-street parking places) Order 2014 which will give the council the authority to enforce parking regulations in Hill Road Car Park, including among things, the ability to issue penalty charges on vehicles that overstay the two hour limit in the designated short term parking spaces. The short stay parking spaces have now been repainted in red to avoid users' confusion on where long term parking is allowed.
After a pleasant browse around Watlington's delis and shops, take the Watlington Town Walk to find your way around the history and highlights of this ancient settlement. Sightings of the 'ghostly monks' are not guaranteed.
Since 1990 Watlington has been twinned with the town of Mansle in the Poitou-Charentes region of France.
The Fat Fox Inn is located at the centre of the small market town of Watlington on the edge of the Chiltern Hills. 45 miles from London, 13 miles from Oxford and 10 miles from Henley on Thames it plays home to commuters going to London and Oxford but remains a self sufficient and thriving community. The Ridgeway, a national trail, running along the town's west border is right on our doorstep.
View Larger Map (for other options. e.g. Aerial view or Ordnance Survey map)
You may already have heard talk that the Post Office is likely to move to the Co-op. For more details and an invitation to give your views on this proposed move see the attached note. You have till the end of September to respond.
The west tower had a ring of six bells until 1909, when two recently cast ones were hung and increased it to eight. Henry I Knight of Reading, Berkshire cast the fourth bell in 1587. Ellis I Knight cast the sixth bell in 1635. Henry II Knight cast the third and fifth bells in 1663. Charles and John Rudhall of Gloucester cast the seventh bell in 1785. Mears and Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry cast the tenor bell in 1869 and the treble and second bells in 1905.
In the 19th century, a local Methodist bought up several of Watlington's pubs, in order to close them down. Fortunately, other hospitable inns have survived. Find them on the South Oxfordshire website together with details of Watlington's campsite, perfectly placed for walkers right on the Ridgeway.
By 1895 the Town Hall, no longer used as a school, was in disrepair. In 1907 it was restored by public subscription. It is a landmark at the meeting point of three roads in the centre of the town.
In 1763 Edward Horne, a local landowner, obtained permission to build a burial vault east of the Warner chapel and south of the chancel. In 1877 the architects H.J. Tollit and Edwin Dolby restored St Leonard's. The church is a Grade II* listed building.
St Leonard's parish is now part of the Benefice of Icknield, along with the parishes of Britwell Salome, Pyrton and Swyncombe.
At The Fat Fox Inn we strive to offer a seasonal menu, using fresh vegetables, meat and game with proven providence from South Oxfordshire. We offer a short menu which changes daily...
Parliamentarian troops were billeted at Watlington during the English Civil War. It is thought that John Hampden stayed in the town the night before the Battle of Chalgrove Field.
What the locals say: “The top of Britwell Hill, Watlington, has amazing views of South Oxfordshire: the Ridgeway Trail, red kites soaring over farmland and woodlands. It all truly makes you feel alive.” – John and Annabel
This attractive market town stands between the Vale of Oxford and the steep slopes of the Chiltern Hills, you can find us 3 miles from junction 3 of the M40, the Ridgeway path is only 1 mile away...
Watlington is a market town and civil parish about 7 miles (11 km) south of Thame in Oxfordshire. The parish includes the hamlets of Christmas Common, Greenfield and Howe Hill, all of which are in the Chiltern Hills. The M40 motorway is about 2 1⁄2 miles (4 km) from Watlington. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 2,727.
The Parish Council will be discussing this at their meeting on 13th September.
The Fat Fox Inn,13 Shirburn Street, Watlington, Oxfordshire, OX49 5BU | +44 (0)1491 613040 | email@example.com
Our bus services have changed with a much reduced service since 24th July. For more information see the Parish Council page.
Actors Jeremy Irons and Sinéad Cusack have a home in Watlington.
Decathlete Peter Gabbett was born in Watlington in 1941.
The Club boasts a membership of over 700 who make full use of the on-site sporting and games facilities – Tennis, Racquetball, Squash and Bowls. Inside the main building, we have the main Community Hall and kitchen and lounge/bar area which act as a social focus with services when required, for members, non members and for functions.
The good news is that a market-day only bus service to Thame started on Tuesday 16th August as a replacement for the old 124 service.
Please give us your views on this as soon as possible.
The Watlington White Mark was designed by local squire Edward Horne, who felt that the parish church of St Leonard, when viewed from his home, would be more impressive if it appeared to have a spire. He had this unusual folly cut into the chalk escarpment of Watlington Hill in 1764. It is 36 feet (11 m) wide at its base and 270 feet (82 m) long.
During the 17th and 18th centuries several nonconformist denominations existed in Watlington, with Quakers, Baptists and Seventh Day Baptists most prominent in different periods. Methodist preachers visited Watlington by invitation from 1764, with John Wesley himself preaching in the town in 1766, 1774 and 1775. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1796 and rebuilt in 1812. It is now part of Oxford Methodist Circuit.
Watlington Town FC is a Non-League football club. Its first team plays in North Berks Football League Division 1.
Cowleaze Wood – 5 miles from Watlington. Set high in the Chiltern Hills this Forestry Commisson site offers amazing views over the surrounding countryside. There is a great mix of habitats in this small wood and plenty of paths to explore. The bluebells in May are like a blue carpet and well worth a visit.
Nuffield Place – 6 miles from Watlington. The home of Lord Nuffield, William Morris of Morris Motors, who rose from humble beginnings to be the richest man in England. He and his wife were both of frugal mindset. A former seamstress at Oxford's Elliston & Cavell department store, Lady Nuffield continued to make their maids' uniforms herself.
The Ridgeway National Trail walking route, which is part of the longer Icknield Way, passes southeast of the town along the foot of the Chiltern Hills.
Watlington is a great place to live and work. It has all the best qualities of living in a small country town with historic buildings, superb Chiltern countryside, good local facilities and shops. At the heart of Watlington is the Watlington Club, and hidden behind it a treasure of sports facilities.
First World War Royal Naval veteran Bill Stone lived in Watlington until he was 106.