Sunday08:00 Holy Communion10:00 Parish Communion10:00 Sunday School at St James18:00 Evensong at Wanlip
“Here lyes Thomas Walssh knyght lorde of Anlep and dame Katine his wife whiche in her tyme made the kirke of Anlep and halud the kirkyerd first in Wurchip of god and of oure lady and seynt Nicholas that god have her soules and mercy anno domini millesimo CCC nonagesimo tercio [i.e. 1393].”
Got a Flickr account? Add your photos of Wanlip Meadows
Wanlip is said to be unusual because in 1906 the land there was all owned by just one family - the Palmers.
William Wilberforce, the 19th century MP and leading abolitionist, lived for some years at Wanlip Hall.
Our featured Stones are ideal as planters, stepping stones or monoliths. They will create amazing focal points in any landscaped garden.
A hide in the country park, specially built by Leicestershire County Council, overlooks the reserve.
Wanlip is a small village and civil parish in the Charnwood district of Leicestershire, with 68 properties and a population of about 150, being measured at 305 at the 2011 census. It is a countryside village, north of Birstall, and west of Watermead Country Park and the River Soar. The A46 road runs directly past the village. Wanlip won the 2008 Leicester and Rutland Best Village Competition for villages with a population under 500.
There are four listed buildings in Wanlip: a brick ice house, the church of Our Lady and St. Nicholas, Manor Farm and Hall Farm.
The surnames of the three families who have owned the manor over eight centuries are:
Tuesday09:00 Morning Prayer10:00 Old Nick's Coffee Shop
We stock gravels and slates in a variety of colours, styles & sizes. Some of our most popular include; Cotswold Cream Gravel and Green Slate.
Mon-Fri: 8am-4.30pmSat: By appointmentClosed Sunday and Bank Holidays
Public transport - contact Traveline for further information www.traveline.org.uk or phone 0871 200 22 33.
The current holder of the baronetcy is Sir John Edward Somerset Palmer, 8th baronet.
Be the first to know about new properties matching your search criteria
To the south of Wanlip is Wanlip Meadows, a Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust nature reserve. To the north is a Severn Trent sewage treatment plant, serving a population of more than half a million. The Cedars Academy lies to the south at the edge of Birstall. To the east lies the 14 hectare Reedbed Local Nature Reserve, part of the Watermead Country Park.
Dogs are permitted on this nature reserve but only under strict control - able to bring to heel at all times. Dogs should be kept out of the water.
One of the earliest mentions of Wanlip is in the Domesday book, where it is listed as Anelepe, among the lands given to Earl Aubrey by the King. The land described includes a mill. The Earl's son Aubrey de Vere II went on to become Lord Chancellor.
Soil and hardcore collected on our 32 ton lorry for £260 Per load! Grab Read more »
As well as supplying sand and gravel, we also run a transfer & recycling centre for inert waste Read more »
The reserve is situated to the south of Wanlip village, alongside the River Soar, between the City of Leicester and Loughborough. From Rectory Road, Wanlip, turn into Church Road and then right at the 'T' junction. Cars can be parked at the bottom of the lane. Alternatively the reserve can be entered on foot from the adjacent Watermead Country Park.
Much of the structure of this parish church was erected in the 13th and 14th centuries but there have been a variety of later alterations, including changes made in the 19th century and the south aisle which was built in 1904. The walls are constructed mainly of granite rubble with ashlar dressing. It is a Grade II listed building.
An Iron Age settlement was unearthed just to the north of Wanlip and an Anglo-Saxon cemetery was discovered during the building of Longslade School in 1958,
We encourage visitors to use environmentally friendly forms of transport wherever possible. Most of our reserves are easily accessible by bicycle with many close to the National Cycle Network. Please note that cycling is not permitted on the nature reserve itself.
The Baronetcy at Wanlip has been held by the (later named Palmer) family since 1791 when it was awarded to Charles Grave Hudson. Notable members of the family include the artist Caroline Harriet Abraham and her father Charles Thomas Hudson Palmer, 2nd Baronet.
Wanlip is the site of a 132-metre-high wind turbine which will be operational by the end of 2013.
Cattle grazing is employed to control the growth of willow scrub and coarse vegetation. Tall hedges will be left to provide food and cover for insects and birds. We control the willows that are germinating in large numbers. It is our intention to minimise the amount of work we carry out on the reserve, so that eventually grazing will be sufficient to maintain the wetland habitats, although the proportions of scrub, marsh, swamp and open water will change over the years and through the seasons.
All products offered by Wanlip Sand and Gravel are all natural. We stock gravel of various grades, sand, cement, granite (Mill Waste), woodchip & top soil.
In the churchyard is a substantial headstone with the following epitaph: "Sacred to the memory of Rasselas Morjan, who was born at Macadi on the confines of Abyssinia and died at Wanlip Hall August 25th 1839 in the 19th year of his age. Rescued from a state of slavery in this life and enabled by God's grace to become a member of his Church he rests here in the hope of a greater deliverance hereafter. This stone is raised in remembrance of his blameless life by one whom he loved."
Wanlip Meadows covers 16.2 ha and was purchased by the Trust in 2004.
Wanlip Sand and Gravel welcomes questions and feedback from our website visitors. Please complete the form below to submit your enquiry or alternatively please call us on 0116 269 2797
Mountsorrel he mounted at, Rodely he rode by, Onelep he leaped o'er, At Birstall he burst his gall, At Belgrave he was buried at.
As well as supplying Sand & Gravel, we also offer a waste transfer & recycling centre fore inert waste.
The memorial is the subject of a detailed article by Nigel Saul, who commented that the church is a distinguished building incorporating motifs from the state apartments at Kenilworth Castle that had been commissioned by John of Gaunt, with whom Sir Thomas Walsh was closely connected.
The chancel floor is notable for housing the brass that commemorates Sir Thomas Walsh and his wife Katherine. This comprises the figures of the couple with a border that is the earliest surviving example of an English inscription for a high-status tomb monument. The inscription reads:
Aggregates Aggregates > Concrete Aggregates > Crushed Aggregates > Decorative Aggregates > Gravel Aggregates > MOT Aggregates > Natural Aggregates > Sand
Charles Palmer-Tomkinson, father of socialite Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, is a landowner in Wanlip and Birstall, responsible for the Hallam Fields development in next-door Birstall.
Why not join one of our teams of volunteers. We have regular work parties covering reserves in this area including Wanlip Meadows. For more information contact us.
In order to minimise disturbance to wildlife on the reserve, visitors are asked to stay on the footpaths, which have been marked.