The canal was later replaced by a railway line in the early 1900s, the Great Western Railway Radford and Timsbury Halt served the needs of passengers from the village. The Coal canal brought prosperity to the village and several other large houses were built in the area. Renny's on Love's Hill, as was its neighbour, Vale House.
No website, however detailed, can be as informative as a visit in person. If you would like to visit us and see the school at work, please do contact the school office on 01761 470 245 or email email@example.com to arrange a mutually convenient opportunity.
The parish was part of the hundred of Chew.
There is a service of Holy Communion at 9.30am each Wednesday morning.
Many local facilities are shared within the civil parish of Michelmersh and Timsbury due to their close proximity, including the Jubilee (village) Hall and the sports pavilion. The villages share a common village design statement to guide development in the area.
In modern Timsbury, the local amenities include a garden centre with cafe, a pub called "The Malthouse", a car sales garage, a fishery, St Andrew's Church of England church, a Jehovah Witness's Kingdom Hall, a recycling site, the Hunts Farm Sports Ground, and a pre-school. The ladies of Timsbury were bequeathed a hall which was used by the Women's Institute (WI), however, following a decline in local WI membership the hall was sold to the village band.
Getting you more information on this room
Timsbury community website http://www.timsbury.net/
the best rooms at the best prices,
The village has one electoral ward with the same area and population as the parish.
The parish publishes a bi-monthly newsletter distributed free to households in the parish.
The Parish Council will be compiling a monthly news sheet to replace the bi-monthly newsletter that has traditionally been compiled by Mr. Mike Koscian on behalf of the Parish Council. The traditional newsletter consisted of [...]
The entry then goes on to describe the Mill at Radford which is to the south of the village.
The Miners Memorial Garden, close to the Square, marks the village's long association with coal mining. It was in built in 1995 to mark the centenary of an underground explosion at Upper Conygre pit in 1895, which claimed the lives of seven miners and four horses.
Sunday 18th September 8.00am Holy Communion (BCP) 11.15 am Morning Praise with Music Group.
The Conygre Hall is conveniently situated in the lovely Village of Timsbury, approximately 12 miles from Bristol and 8 miles from Bath. Within easy reach of the County of Somerset and the Bath and North East Somerset (BANES) area. The village hall is an excellent venue for wedding receptions, dinner dances, meetings, stage shows and other events along with good disabled access to all rooms.
The local telephone exchange is located in nearby Braishfield, with most telephone numbers in the village 01794 368XXX. Due to the distance between Timsbury and Braishfield, broadband links are only about 2 megabits per second.
The Barn at Old Michelmersh Farm is situated on Church Road, Michelmersh - just south of St. Mary's Church. This historical Grade II listed building is a popular venue for weddings, family parties, and local [...]
The village currently (2010) maintains a pre-school and primary school, a village hall and Youth club hall. The Conygre hall is used for village meetings, shows including antique fairs, flower shows and the village amateur dramatic society performances and local art group exhibitions. It has been extended in recent years and its other uses include short mat bowling, dance classes and also the local polling station.
Timsbury is a village located in Hampshire, England, near the town of Romsey. It lies mainly along the A3057 road running north from Romsey towards Stockbridge, and shares a boundary with the village of Michelmersh.
Parish's House on the south eastern side of the village was an 1816 extension of a much earlier house. It is attributed to Thomas Baldwin of Bath for Captain Parish R.N., is fronted by an ornate balustrade, and includes a stable block from the same date.
In time the Sharp family became well established in the Romsey area and during the 18th and 19th centuries many of them held important positions as merchants or influential citizens of Romsey. A brass floor plate in Romsey Abbey commemorates many of them.
The name "Timsbury" is derived from the Old English timber + byrig (dative of burh), meaning 'timber fort or manor'.
There is some remaining managed woodland in the local area, but nothing like the amount there was in the past when the village was given its name of Timsbyre (wooded hillside). Dutch elm disease and the use of wood for building construction, fuel and furniture has denuded much of the local area of its trees.
In 1978, the core of the village, centred around the Square and the High Street, was designated a conservation area, which is now considered "at risk". Many of its buildings constructed from the local White Lias stone in the 1700s are now protected from inappropriate development.
The following article has kindly been written by Church Warden, Dr. John Glasspool from St. Andrew's Church, Timsbury.... "I've been asked to give a brief summary of the highs and lows of the restoration work [...]
Test Valley Borough Council's Section 106 funding has enabled the Parish Council to install reinforced car park matting to the remaining area of the recreation ground car parking area on Mannyngham Way, Timsbury. The works [...]
The information on the website is believed to be accurate, but if there are any errors or if there is anything that you would like have include please contact us.
Timsbury has grown from a traditional village centred on the Manor House (now split into many dwellings) and the Church of St Andrew. Although there may have been a Saxon church, the current Grade II listed building dates from around the early 15th century and was badly damaged by fire on 9 March 2014.
Sunday 25th September 8.00am Holy Communion (CW) 11.15 am Parish Communion
Pitfour House in the High street was built in the mid 17th century. The terrace of houses at Crook Barton dates back to around 1700.
Sunday 11th September 8.00am Holy Communion (CW) 11.15 am Parish Communion
Timsbury is a village and civil parish in the Bath and North East Somerset unitary authority of the county of Somerset, 8 miles (13 km) south-west of Bath England. The parish, which includes the hamlets of Meadgate, Radford and Wall Mead, has a population of 2,624.
Introducing Roy Bayntun - your local Community First Responder After retiring from the Police Force following 37 years service, Roy went along to the Ambulance Service's training on how to use the recently installed defibrillator [...]
Media related to Timsbury, Somerset at Wikimedia Commons
Adjacent villages include Awbridge, Kimbridge, Mottisfont, Mottisfont & Dunbridge railway station, Lockerley, Houghton, Hampshire, Horsebridge railway station, Kings Sombourne, Braishfield, Hursley, Ampfield,
Timsbury has been a settlement since the Bronze Age. Some of the earliest written records show an entry in the Norman Domesday Book of 1086.
You are visitor number 2460 since March 2007
Greenhill House was also constructed in the early 1800s. Originally owned by St Johns Hospital in Bath, it has passed through the hands of various institutions during its history. It was eventually purchased by the charity originally known as The Cheshire Foundation Homes for the Sick, in 1976 it became the Leonard Cheshire Foundation. In July 2007 it changed to its current name, Leonard Cheshire Disability.
The main function room can seat up to 300 people and outside there are allocated parking bays for up to 55 cars, two of which are designated for disabled persons. Smaller function rooms are also available catering for between 40 and 60 people. See Hire Rates/Contact Us for the current prices.