With easy access by air, rail and road, Tamworth is a great centre from which to explore the tourism heartland of the UK, including Birmingham, Stratford-upon-Avon, Lichfield, Warwick and The Peak District.
The Reliant Motor Company was founded in Tamworth in 1935 by T.L.Williams, and cars such as the Scimitar four wheeled sports cars and the Robin three wheeled economy cars were manufactured here until the company moved to Cannock in 1998. A year later the old factory was razed to the ground and a new housing estate built in its place called "Scimitar Park" with street names assuming names of Reliant vehicles (i.e. Robin Close).
The first municipal cemetery opened in 1876. The Assembly Rooms were built in 1889. In 1897 the corporation bought Tamworth Castle.
In 1678 the town's future Member of Parliament Thomas Guy founded almshouses in Tamworth, rebuilt in 1913. He also built Tamworth Town Hall in 1701 and later founded Guy's Hospital in London.
Marc Reeves has edited the Birmingham Mail since December 2014.
U21's begin with a league victory, and U18's progress in FA Youth Cup!
Over 66% of our visitors, who view over 4m* page impressions every month, are in the desirable ABC1 socio-economic groups.
Tamworth also has an abundance of great places to stay from small and intimate family run hotels, and B&B’s offering a warm welcome to larger hotels such as Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn, Travel Lodge and of course the Drayton Manor Hotel with its themed Thomas rooms.
In the Middle Ages Tamworth was a small market town. However the king gave it charters in 1319. In 1337 Tamworth was granted the right to hold two annual fairs. In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year and they attracted buyers and sellers from great distances.
Christianity is the largest religion in Tamworth, comprising 77% of the population. 15% are not religious. Other religions include Hindu (177), Islam (127) and Sikhism (124) which make up 0.9% of the population.
There were a number of improvements to Tamworth during the 19th century. In 1807 the pavements were flagged. From 1835 Tamworth had gaslight. In the late 19th century a piped water supply was created.
Tamworth Borough CouncilMarmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7BZ Tel: 01827 709709 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Touch Radio (Burton, Lichfield and Tamworth) is the local commercial radio station; it broadcasts from the nearby Lichfield transmitting station. The BBC Local Radio station covering Tamworth is BBC WM which has its studios in Birmingham. Community station Total Choice Radio (known as TCR fm) serves the Tamworth area. Tamworth lies in the BBC West Midlands and ITV Central television regions.
Tamworth was in 2013 the most overweight town in the UK with a 30.7% obesity rate.
Tamworth, once the Capital of the Ancient Kingdom of Mercia, now one of the Midlands largest towns sitting in the Southern most tip of Staffordshire.
The first public library in Tamworth was built in 1905. Tamworth gained an electricity supply in 1924.
The Tomsaete lived in the heartland of Mercia, and Tamworth was the "royal centre" under King Penda. The King was not static and would not have a single residence; instead he traveled round his territories "to be seen by his people, to give legal judgments, to reward loyalty and to try offenders". Tamworth however, was home to the King's household and children.
The main church in Tamworth is Church of St Editha in the town centre. Most of Tamworth is part of the Diocese of Lichfield, the two parishes being Tamworth and Wilnecote. However Amington is in the parish of Amington St. Editha which is part of the Diocese of Birmingham.
There are five secondary schools in Tamworth, a sixth form centre and a branch of South Staffordshire College along with 27 primary schools.
Tamworth was historically split between Staffordshire and Warwickshire, with the county boundary running through the town centre. Staffordshire was made to include the entire borough in 1888.
U21 and U18 sides both in action at The GST Gas Services Stadium at The Lamb!
The first council houses in Tamworth were built in 1900. More were built in the 1920s and 1930s and after 1945.
Come meet and ride with Woodsy and plenty more pros as the Woodsy UK Tour arrives at Tamlands on Tuesday 4th October 7pm - 11pm. After hitting the slope the likes of Woodsy, Jossi Wells, Vincent Gagnier, Jonas Hunziker, Noah Morrison & Wacko Wells will be in the bar to meet and greet and sign posters. You're not going to want to miss this one!
Tamworth mum flushed with success after getting through Boot Camp
Tamworth is the home of the historic Tamworth Castle and Moat House and the town was the ancient capital of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia.
In the 11th century, a Norman castle was built on the probable site of the Saxon fort which still stands to this day as an important tourist attraction. Grants of borough privileges, including rights to a third additional fair in 1588 consolidated Tamworth's historic importance as 'the seat of Saxon kings'.
According to the 2011 census the borough of Tamworth has a population of 76,900. White British is by far the largest ethnicity, making up 97% of the population. The second largest ethnicity is White Irish, making up 0.9% of the borough's population. 95% of people in the borough were born in England, with Scotland being the second largest making 1% of the population.
Tamworth is part of the South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation trust.
Tamworth castle was besieged by parliamentarian forces during the English Civil War in 1643. An order was issued for the castle to be destroyed but this was not carried out.
U9 and U11 squads traveled to face Manchester City!
A hospital was built in Tamworth in 1880. An infirmary was built in 1903.
Tamworth Castle Bowling Club was founded in 1814 it can boast Mayors and Prime ministers as past members. This crown green bowling club is situated behind a green door on Ladybank in the shadow of Tamworth Castle. The club is owned by its membership with a season running from March to October.
While Britain was a part of the Roman Empire, (43–409 AD) the area of the Trent Valley was home to the British "Coritani" tribe, however there is evidence of Roman activity in the area of Tamworth, with fragments of Roman building materials found near Bolebridge Street. Tamworth was situated near to the important Roman road, Watling Street and was only a few miles from the Roman town of Letocetum.
The town was sacked by the Danes (Vikings) in 874. It remained a ruin until 913, when Æthelflæd, daughter of King Alfred the Great and Lady of the Mercians, rebuilt the town and constructed a burh to defend it against further Danish invaders. She made Tamworth her principal residence and died there in 918. In Tamworth church in 926, a sister of King Æthelstan, perhaps Saint Edith of Polesworth, was married to Sitric Cáech, the squint-eyed Norse King of York and Dublin.
The town of Fazeley merges almost completely into the town to the southwest, but belongs to the Lichfield District area rather than Tamworth Borough. It became a town, after a referendum on an choice to merge with Tamworth.
We reach over 2,871,244* unique users a month with dedicated coverage of Birmingham and the West Midlands.
Tamworth suffered from outbreaks of plague in 1563, 1579, 1597–98, 1606 and 1626. Many died but each time the population recovered.
The A5 dual-carriageway Fazeley, Two Gates and Wilnecote Bypass opened in July 1995, acting both as a bypass of Watling Street, and as a fast route for traffic into the town. This was further extended to meet the M6 Toll and A38 in 2005. The road's official name is Thomas Guy Way.
In 1801, the population was a little over 3000.
We are super excited to announce that The BoobyTrap will be holding its next coaching session at the SnowDome on Monday 19th September 2016!