The land is still occupied as winter quarters by the Showman's Guild with its running costs supported by an annual fair on the site. In June 2007, the motor repair building was demolished to be replaced by flats. Today's market is held on a Tuesday and Saturday, and a boot fair is held on a Sunday.
Following a major public consultation exercise in April and May 2006, consultants were appointed to examine the issues facing Strood town centre and the options for future regeneration and development. The Issues and Options Study is an early part of the process of producing a Strood Town Centre Area Action Plan.
Local newspapers for Strood include the Medway Messenger, published by the KM Group. The area also has free newspapers in the Medway Extra (KM Group) and yourmedway (KOS Media). In 2011 Medway News and Medway Standard, both published by Kent Regional News and Media had closed down
Need a bit of a push? Whether you’re taking part in some PT or one of our free classes such as Legs, Bums and Tums, Circuits or Fitbox**, our team of friendly staff are there to help you every step, lunge and squat of the way.
The area of Strood around Knight's Place and Temple Street, was referred to as the Swamp. On the floods Smetham wrote in 1899 in that woebegone spot the foul contents of water closets were washed into poor peoples homes, and an indescribable filth permeated the fetid spot for months. In 1912 there was a typhoid outbreak here, 56 people contracted it, and five died.
At the same time there was the largest change to the timetable in the area in 40 years in order to accommodate the extra trains. To use the train service over the High Speed 1 section of line generally requires payment of a surcharge.
In London he made the first collection of Roman coins from London excavations which was bought by the British Museum. He subsequently pioneered 'urban site observation' and his 'Illustrations of Roman London '(1859) remained the principal work on the subject until 1909. He pioneered the statistic study of Roman coin hoards.
Montfort Road, Strood, Rochester, Kent ME2 3ET
Strood is a town in the unitary authority of Medway in South East England. It was, until 1998, part of Kent and is still ceremonially associated via the Lieutenancies Act. It lies on the north west bank of the River Medway at its lowest bridging point, and is part of the Rochester post town.
After his death, four streets in Strood were named in his honour, Charles Street, Smith Street, Roach Street and Antiquarian Street. Three of these still exist in the vicinity of the Tesco supermarket with Antiquarian Street being demolished and the area now being under the Tesco car park.
The canal was 8 ft deep (2.4 m) with 27-foot (8.2 m) headroom and 26 ft 6 in (8.08 m) wide, to take 94-foot-long (29 m), 60-ton Thames Barges. It had a 5-foot (1.5 m) tow path its entire length. Spoil from the tunnel was used to infill the marshland between St Mary's Church Strood and the River Medway. Frindsbury Basin could handle vessels to 300 tons. A steam pump was installed there to keep the canal topped up.
The station has three platforms; Platform 1 is directly accessible from the station building. Platforms 2 and 3 are on an island platform. The entrance, ticket office and ticket barriers adjoin Platform 1, with a tunnel from that platform leading to the island. In 2014, a new bridge with lifts was built at the southern end of the station to replace the tunnel and provide wheelchair access to the island platform. As of summer 2015 both the bridge and tunnel are open.
We’re busy putting the finishing touches to our brand new site which will be opening in 2017.
Local government was consolidated in the late 1990s into a single tier with the creation of Medway Council.
Transport in Strood was dominated by the river. From the earliest times river transport used Strood, but before the coming of the Romans the area was marshy and not well populated. Once Strood started to be filled in various boatyards and ship repair businesses started up both on the river and in the creeks which drain the marshes.
Strood Railway Station serves the town of Strood in Medway, England. It is on the North Kent Line and is a terminus for the Medway Valley Line. Train services are operated by Southeastern.
Protestant dissenters founded the Zoar chapel in 1782. There is a Gospel Mission Evangelical church in Brompton Lane and an Evangelical church in Darnley Road.
It is vital that Strood becomes a healthy and vibrant centre that new residents and workers will use for day-to-day goods and services.
Although Strood must have lain on ancient tracks, the coming of the Romans started to fix the road pattern. The lowest bridging point of the River Medway is between Strood and Rochester, and the first bridge was built soon after the Battle of the Medway. This road from Dover via Longdon towards north Wales became known as Watling Street and forms two of the major highways of the Kingdom. The section from Dover to London became the A2 trunk road.
Following Medway Council’s decision to relocate to a centralised council building at Gun Wharf in Chatham, the Civic Centre site is available for redevelopment. A brief will be prepared to help guide a developer when the site is sold.
There are concerns for the architectural heritage in the area. A sad loss of an Edwardian gem occurred in 2010 when Medway Council demolished the Aveling & Porter building to make way for a car park.
Other employers were Hobourn-Eaton, Kent Alloys, Fishers and the Co-operative bakery.
Learn to climb as a family working with our qualified instructors
50p for DofE or £1 for Climbing and Archery
At The Gym, we know that life doesn’t exist between nine and five. So most of our gyms are open 24 hours a day so you can eat, sleep, train, repeat until your heart’s content.
Strood Academy is the only secondary school in Strood. For secondary education, many pupils from Strood attend schools in neighbouring towns.
Media related to Strood railway station at Wikimedia Commons
The Thames and Medway Canal was dug between 1804 and 1824 to provide a safe route between the rivers Medway and Thames. Barges were able to avoid the long passage into the Thames estuary and around the Isle of Grain. At the Strood end the canal was entered through a lock into Frindsbury basin and then entered a tunnel. It opened 4 October 1824.
In such a low-lying area, flooding is a danger. The reconstruction, after a flood, provides a boost to economy and the opportunity to effect structural change. Floods of significance have been recorded in Strood in the years 1158, 1235, 1309, 1682, 1735, 1791, 1854, 1874, 1887, 1953, 1968 and 1979.
We've made a few changes to traditional health clubs so that we can build our services around you. From PIN entry door systems to vending machines, find out how our Gyms are different.
The Methodist church in Stonehouse Lane has undergone two changes of name. First the road name changed to Cliffe Road and then the church changed from "Jubilee" to "Peninsular". During the First World War the church was lent to the St John's Voluntary Aid Department as an auxiliary hospital.
There was a loop between the lines at Strood, opened 29 March 1859 which closed in 1860. In 1875 Mayor N. E. Toomer forced the two companies to reopen the loop, now nicknamed Toomers Loop. The service resumed 1 April 1877.
Last year Strood Library had 145,594 visitors. They borrowed 140,536 books and films and used 12,999 hours of computer time.
The South Eastern Railway terminated at Strood, with passengers taking a steamer or coaches to reach Rochester or Chatham. The station, completed 10 February 1856, was opposite The Railway Tavern. More recently it was called the Old Terminus.
To the Honour of God. and for the Benefit of the Poor. of this Parish, This House was. Built with Mr. Watt's Charity. A.D. 1671 in which the Sick and. Aged are taken care of; ye Ignorant. instructed, Such as are Able to. Work Imployed, & a Comfortable. Maintenance Provided for All..
In 1193, Strood became a parish. It was run by the monks of Newark Hospital, and had its own burial grounds. Corruption in the finances of the Newark Hospital set in and worsened until reforms were put in place formally in 1330 by the Bishop of Rochester Hamo de Hethe. In 1291 there was an affray at Newark Hospital between the Monks of Strood and the locals from Frindsbury.
The centre provides a variety of sporting activities with a fully equipped sports hall and runs various sport courses and events throughout the year including trampolining, an indoor climbing wall, archery, basketball and football.
Strood was part of Frindsbury until 1193, but now Frindsbury is considered part of Strood. Strood's history has been dominated by the river, the bridges and the road and rail links they carried. It is now a mainly residential suburb of Rochester, and a commuter town for London.
Strood comprises several named areas, notably Earl Estate and Marlowe Park.
The ancient City of Rochester merged with the borough of Chatham and part of the Strood Rural District in 1974 to form the Borough of Medway, later renamed the City of Rochester-upon-Medway. In 1998 another merger with the rest of the Medway Towns created the Medway unitary authority.