As part of the Markham Vale scheme to regenerate the site of the former Markham Colliery site there was a proposal to build a "Solar Pyramid" to form the world's largest functional timepiece. This project has now been cancelled. However on the site near Poolsbrook Country Park, a caravan site for tourists has now been built boosting numbers to the country park. The area has several trails for walkers and mountain bikers along former pit railway lines.
Home > Enjoy > Towns & Villages > Staveley
Staveley Carnival takes place every two years and consists of a weekend of colourful celebrations where you can experience everything from music and dance through to community arts music and a carnival atmosphere. Everyone is welcome to visit and get involved.
It is also the home town of the Townes Brewery. Modern industry includes a plastic pipe moulding factory for Brett Martin plc. There was also a wood wool production unit on Staveley works.
Staveley is a pretty Lake District village, surrounded by rolling countryside interspersed with valleys, woods and drystone walls.
Gowan beck comes in to the village from the west after passing through the village of Ings. There is sometimes flooding at the confluence of the two rivers.
Click here to watch a video tour of Staveley Mill Yard.
ADDRESS: Kendal Road, Staveley, Cumbria, LA8 9LP. Lake District
Staveley Hall is situated to the northeast of St John The Baptist Church in Staveley, with vehicular access from the Lowgates traffic island. The Hall in its present form was built by Sir Peter Frecheville in 1604. Before the current building there had been buildings on this site for over 700 years. A brief history of the building and its ownership follows:
St James Church has a magnificent stained glass window depicting the crucifixion and ascension of Jesus. Of the original church, only the 15th century tower remains, along with a medieval font.
We have a great selection of some fantastic Cumbrian Real Ales.
Staveley CE Primary School was founded in 1755 and moved to its present position at Brow Lane on Reston Scar in 1840. A new building was built 30 years ago to house the infant classes. The school also caters for children from the nearby villages of Crook, Kentmere and Ings. Before the modern-day school that exists now, the school used to be housed in a small cottage on Main Street next to St. Margaret's Tower.
Every year in August residents put on an art exhibition for regional artists at the Roundhouse (a former gas holder which serves as a theatre).
The bustling village nestles at the foot of the secluded Kentmere Valley. Its history is shaped by two rivers: the fast-flowing river Kent and the smaller river Gowan. This abundant supply of water once powered 8 mills.
Staveley has traditionally been a mining town with several large mining pits situated in and around the area, with the closest being Ireland Pit (Ireland Colliery Brass Band is named after this colliery). However this pit has now closed down along with the others in the area.
Staveley and Ings will continue to change and develop but as they do the Parish Council will do its best to make the community an even better place both for residents, businesses and visitors today and for the generations that follow.
Mammals are well represented with roe deer and fox amongst the larger species and water shrew and harvest mouse amongst the smaller species. Otter are seen regularly, quite often in the middle of the day, particularly in the East Lagoon.
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust’s Discover Yorkshire’s Wildlife book, which has detailed information on all of Yorkshire Wildlife and Sheffield Wildlife Trust’s reserves, is available to buy now from our online shop.
At the weir by Wilf's Cafe visitors can see water being drawn from the River Kent, which originally powered a waterwheel, replaced in 1902 with turbines.
Staveley is a town within the borough of Chesterfield, in Derbyshire, England. The town is situated alongside the River Rother, adjacent to Eckington to the north, Barlborough to the east, Sutton-cum-Duckmanton civil parish to the south and Brimington to the west.
The Roundhouse Theatre has only existed in its current form since 1990. The building was erected in 1862 and was originally used as a gas holder.
Common breeding birds include summer visitors such as sand martin and several species of warbler, with common tern breeding on the rafts put out for them. There have been 22 species of damselflies and dragonflies recorded in the main lagoons or the small ponds and ditches.
Today, this large, accessible site has been sculpted through quarrying activities followed by decades of work by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and dedicated volunteers.
We are a pub that offers top quality accommodation and are particularly proud of the excellent food we serve from our interesting and varied menu. We have a great selection of hand-pulled local ales and feature regular guest beers.
Another 19th century project built through Staveley is the Thirlmere Aqueduct, commissioned in 1894. On its way to Manchester, the aqueduct passes under the River Kent at Staveley. Although the Staveley section of the aqueduct was constructed underground (via "cut-and-cover" and tunnelling techniques), some of the infrastructure associated with it is visible.
The Public Right Of Way (PROW), which accesses Staveley Nature Reserve near the Royal Oak pub, has recently been reverted by North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) to the official mapped route, as opposed to the walked line. This PROW pre-dates the creation of the Nature Reserve by several decades and its re-alignment is entirely a matter between NYCC and the landowners whose land the route crossed. The presence of the nature reserve is not related to the re-alignment issue.
The village is strategically placed at the junction of the rivers Kent and Gowan, at the mouth of the Kentmere Valley.
The site is in two parts; the East Lagoon edged with natural vegetation that was allowed to develop freely comprising of fen, reed swamp and flower-rich calcareous grassland, and the West Lagoons, landscaped with a limited number of trees planted and the rest sown down to pasture, which has since been intensively grazed. The nature reserve is bordered by the River Tutt on its northern boundary and there are footpaths and hides from which to observe the varied wildlife.
Management of the nature reserve is designed to maintain the site's important habitats of fen, flower-rich grassland, open water, wet pasture and ponds by clearing encroaching scrub, mowing and grazing.
Great Pub, Great Food, Great Friends and a Great Beer Garden too!
Small areas of fen are home to several relic species which were once widespread before the carrs were drained and transformed into farmland. Locally scarce species such as water violet, marsh helleborine and meadow rue can be found.
Food Served Monday to Sunday 12 noon to 2.30pm & 6pm to 9pm
Since the 1840s Staveley has had a railway station on the Windermere Branch Line from Windermere to Oxenholme. It is one of only a few locations in the Lake District National Park to have a station, but in the 19th century most tourists continued their journey to the railhead at Windermere. Staveley remained relatively unaffected by mass tourism until the 20th century.
The village got its name from the woodworking industry that thrived in the area due to the forests that originally covered the surrounding hills, and the close proximity of two rivers for processing the wood. Staveley means literally the 'field of staffs' (from the Middle English plural stave for staf OE stæf and the ME leye meaning pasture from Old English leah; akin to Old High German loh thicket, Latin lucus grove).
While there is no longer any bobbin production in Staveley, there is a carpentry business in the village. Peter Hall & Son’s furniture workshop and showroom specialises in high-quality, bespoke furniture, using traditional skills and locally sourced wood. Visitors are able to see all stages of the furniture-making process, all performed by skilled craftsmen.
While there is no longer any bobbin production, there are a carpentry businesses in the village including Peter Hall.
Today, Staveley Mill Yard, the former bobbin/wood mill, is home to over 20 small enterprises and workshops including the UK’s largest cycle store, a unique cookery school, Hawkshead Brewery, an ice-cream parlour, artisan bread maker and the famous walkers’ café, Wilfs.
In the Middle Ages, the mills at Staveley produced woollen cloth. During the Industrial Revolution there was cotton production at Staveley, and there is an 18th-century mill building from this time. The cotton industry shifted to Lancashire, and the Staveley mills were converted to work wood. By 1850 bobbin turning was the main industry in the valley.
Excavations uncovered two Viking boats in Kentmere Tarn; one of which is in Kendal Museum, the other in the National Maritime Museum in London.
The Eagle and Child Inn is situated on the edge of the quiet Lake District village of Staveley.