The principal rooms are in a long south-facing range forming an L-shape with the hall, unlike the usual Tudor house plan of a central hall. The north-east wing, remodelled in 1913 by Detmar Blow, was demolished in 1948. The kitchen court was designed by William Burn in 1859. The Gatehouse was built in about 1630.
The £4.3m A12 bypass opened in 1970. Local pubs include the Live and Let Live on Millers Lane and the Swan on London Road.
Stanway Estate, established in the 8th century, is known to have had four watermills in 1291. They have been used over the centuries for fulling wool cloth, for paper production, for sawmilling, for electricity generation, to grind flour and to grind animal feed.
Interiors for the 2004 film Vanity Fair were shot there. It was also used for The Christmas Candle.
A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
For many years,[quantify] the Stanway Flower Show was held in the hamlet - and many people travelled to visit the show. The Tithe Barn hosted the exhibits, which included flowers, vegetables and handcrafts, and there was a number of stalls - including a coconut shy and nine-pin bowling - in the grounds of Stanway House.
ArboretumsCoastal GardensJapanese GardensOrganic GardensPrairie GardensRoyal GardensTopiary GardensWalled GardensWater GardensWildlife GardensWoodland Gardens
An electoral ward with the same name exists. The population of this ward at the 2011 census was 8,283.
The mill in Church Stanway, now fully restored as a working flour mill, was recently re-opened by HRH The Prince of Wales. Its massive 24-foot overshot waterwheel – the 8th largest waterwheel in England – made by local iron-masters James Savory of Tewkesbury ca.1850, drives traditional cast-iron machinery and heavy French burr-quartz millstones, to produce stoneground Cotswold flour from wheat grown less than one mile from the mill on the Stanway Estate.
In the Jeeves and Wooster TV series, Twing Hall was filmed at Stanway House for the episode "The Purity of the Turf".
Stanway has a cricket pitch, a fenced ground, in the middle of a field. The field has an undulating surface, which was reportedly made uneven to make landing difficult for - possibly hypothetical - German gliders during the Second World War. The cricket ground - itself flat - possesses a pavilion, which is built on staddle stones, and was the gift of the author J. M. Barrie who stayed at Stanway House in the 1920s.
Media related to Stanway House at Wikimedia Commons
The Stanway School is a mixed 11-16 comprehensive school, situated to the west of Colchester. It serves a wide catchment area encompassing the villages of Stanway, Aldham, Birch, Chappel, Copford, Eight Ash Green, Fordham, Fordham Heath, Great Tey, Layer-de-la-Haye, Marks Tey and West Bergholt.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Stanway has a Non-League football club Stanway Rovers F.C. who play at New Farm Road.
Cutsdean Quarry, which is a nature reserve and designated a Key Wildlife Site (KWS) in the Cotswolds, is part of the Stanway Estate.
Stanway Primary School | Hosted by New Era Education | DB Primary | DB Learning Library
Stanway was named in the Domesday Book.
Stanway is approximately three miles west of Colchester town centre on the B1408 (former A12), near the junction of the A12 and the A1124 at Eight Ash Green. Colchester Zoo, The Stanway School, Tollgate shopping complex and the Co-operative retail development are among prominent local amenities. Graham Coxon and Damon Albarn, founder members of Blur, met at the local school, The Stanway School.
The manor house has recently[when?] reopened its brewery, one of only two coal-fired brewing houses in the country.
The village is dominated by Stanway House, a Jacobean manor house, owned by the Earl of Wemyss and March. In recent years the house has seen restoration which is ongoing.
Stanway is a village and civil parish in Essex, England located near Colchester and within Colchester Borough. It is now widely referred to as a suburb. 'Stanway' is an Anglo-Saxon name for the 'stone way' of the Roman road, now the A12.
There are three schools – two primary schools and The Stanway School which has academy status, and describes itself as a "Humanities and Maths & Computing College". All three of the schools are close together, on adjacent roads.
The Estate contains the single highest gravity-fed fountain in the UK at just over 300 feet. It was restored for operation in 2004 and can be seen for several miles when running.
Media related to Stanway, Essex at Wikimedia Commons
Year 6 parents and children are invited to attend our Open Week events as follows: 3rd – 7th October Tours each morning with senior members of staff. Please arrive for 9.15am 5th October Open Evening from 5.00-8.00pm with ...
The gardens are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
Our School's 'Be the Best you can Be!' quotations
Stanway war memorial is situated at the south side of the village, at the junction of the B4077 road (which runs from Stow-on-the-Wold to the A46 at the Teddington Hands, 3 miles north of Bishop's Cleeve) and the southernmost end of the Stanton Road. The bronze of St George and the Dragon is by Alexander Fisher, the stone column and plinth by Sir Philip Stott carved by Eric Gill. The war memorial in the church chancel is also by Fisher and Gill.
The estate brewery, an original Elizabethan feature has, with the permission of Lord Neidpath, recently been re-established.
Stanway House is a Jacobean manor house, located near the village of Stanway in Gloucestershire, England. The manor was owned by Tewkesbury Abbey for 800 years then for 500 years by the Tracy family and their descendants, the Earls of Wemyss and March. The then Lord Neidpath, now the 13th Earl of Wemyss and March, pursued, over a number of years, a restoration program.
Stanway is a small crossroads village in the county of Gloucestershire, England, and about 1 mile south of Stanton: both villages are on the Cotswold Way. The population of Stanway taken at the 2011 census was 343. It is part of the Tewkesbury Borough Council area.
We are pleased to say our flour is now available from Chadbury Farm Shop on the A44 near Evesham. Their website is chadburyfarmshop.co.uk and phone number 01386 765538
In 1996, prior to the expansion of the Stanway Sand & Gravel quarry, an archaeological team was called in to investigate the outline of five ancient ditched enclosures identified by aerial photography. There, just off the A12 to Colchester, they discovered the grave of the "Druid of Colchester".
Stanway Watermill, Stanway, Cheltenham GL54 5PQ
If you want to take a break near Stanway House, why not stay in one of our recommended hotels or places to stay. Look now - click here.
Visitors may, during opening times, see the mill working, view the idyllic millpond, walk along the nearby Cotswold Way and buy a bag of wholemeal Cotswold flour.
Advertise Here on all pages - Tel 01666 825390
We now have 2 more outlets for our flour. Firstly, Broadway Deli are now stocking wholemeal and white sifted flour. Their address is 16, The Green, Broadway WR12 7AA, 01386 853040. Maison Chaplais, the delicatessen at 52, Andover Road in Cheltenham 01242 570222 not only stock our flour but also use it to make the delicious bread they sell in the shop.
2016 Stanway House & Garden open - Normally from June - please see website.Private tours by arrangement at other times. Small tea room.