In April 1998, Huntley was arrested on suspicion of raping a woman. He admitted having sex with the woman but claimed it was consensual. The police decided not to charge him.

In September 2001 he applied for the post of caretaker at Soham Village College, and in November 2001, despite his history of sexual contact with minors, he was awarded the position. Carr was employed as a teaching assistant at the local primary school.

The only one of these allegations that resulted in a charge was a rape, for which he had been remanded in custody but released when the Crown Prosecution Service decided that there was not enough evidence for a conviction. Huntley had also been charged with burgling a neighbour in Grimsby in 1996 but he was not convicted, although the charge remained on file.

Police have warned motorists in East Cambridgeshire to be aware of the conditions during wet weather after a spate of 11 crashes in just eight hours on Saturday.

Huntley's trial opened at the Old Bailey in London on 5 November 2003 before Mr Justice Moses. He was charged with two counts of murder. The families of Wells and Chapman were present for the duration.

The first black British author and anti-slave activist, Olaudah Equiano, also known as Gustavus Vassa, married a local girl, Susannah Cullen, at St. Andrew's Church, Soham, on 7 April 1792 and the couple lived in the town for a while.

The school caretaker was charged with two counts of murder on 20 August[17] and detained under Section 48 of the Mental Health Act at Rampton Secure Hospital, Nottinghamshire, where his mental state was assessed to determine whether he suffered from mental illness and whether he was fit to stand trial. Consultant psychiatrist Dr. Christopher Clark carried out the assessment and stated:

Fire crews from seven stations were called to a fire at an agricultural building on Weirs Drove in Burwell at 11.55pm today (Monday).

In July 1998, Huntley was investigated by the police on allegations that he indecently assaulted an 11-year-old girl in September 1997. However, he was never charged, though in April 2007 he confessed that he attacked the girl. He was investigated over allegations of rape on a 17-year-old girl in February 1999 but no charges were made against him.

Ian Kevin Huntley was born into a working class home in Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, on 31 January 1974, the first son of Kevin and Linda Huntley. An asthma sufferer, he had a turbulent time at school, often the target of school bullying, and this problem escalated until, aged 13, he was forced to change schools. He left school in 1990 and decided not to continue his studies to A-level, despite reasonable GCSE grades, choosing instead to go directly into employment.

The final allegation came in July 1999, when a woman was raped and Huntley – by now suspected by local police as a serial sex offender – was interviewed. He supplied a DNA sample and had an alibi provided by Maxine Carr to assert his innocence. The woman subsequently said that Huntley was not the rapist. This was the only case where the victim had not identified or named Huntley as the attacker.[26]

Huntley admitted that the girls had died in his house; he claimed that he accidentally knocked Wells into the bath while helping her control a nosebleed, and this caused her to drown. Chapman witnessed this and he claimed that he accidentally suffocated her while attempting to stifle her screaming. By the time he realised what he was doing, it was too late to save either of them. Based on this version of events, he admitted manslaughter.

The monitoring and recording of the CCTV in Ely and Soham is a local responsibility.

A car was deliberately set on fire in Mill Drove, Soham in the early hours of today.

In September 2001, Huntley applied for the position of caretaker at Soham Village College, a secondary school in the small town between Newmarket and Ely. The job had become vacant after the previous caretaker was dismissed for having an inappropriate relationship with a female pupil. Huntley was accepted for the post and began work on 26 November 2001.[24]

There was also considerable concern about the police investigation into the girls' murders. It took nearly two weeks before the police became aware of previous sexual allegations against Huntley (they were contacted by a woman who had known him in Grimsby and was aware that he had once been charged with rape) and, although he was identified as the last person to see either of the two children, his story was not effectively checked out early during the investigation.

On 7 January 1998, he appeared at Grimsby Crown Court charged with having burgled a neighbour's house, and in May 1998, he was charged with the rape of an 18-year-old girl in Grimsby. Neither case proceeded to court due to lack of evidence, but the rape allegation tainted him substantially.

Huntley's injuries meant that he did not attend the hearing later that month at which his minimum term was decided.

Ian Kevin Huntley was born in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, on 31 January 1974, the first son of Kevin and Linda Huntley.[22] He spent two months living in the village of Hopton-on-Sea, Norfolk, and also spent time living in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.

A month later, Huntley was charged with rape and remanded in custody after an 18-year-old Grimsby woman claimed to have been raped by him on her way home from a nightclub in the town. The charge was dropped a week later after the Crown Prosecution Service examined CCTV images from the nightclub and determined that there was no chance of a conviction.

An inquiry was announced on 18 December 2003, and Sir Michael Bichard was appointed as the chairman. The stated purpose was:

After Huntley was convicted, it was revealed that he had been investigated in the past for sexual offences and burglary, but had still been allowed to work in a school as none of these investigations had resulted in a conviction.

The jury rejected his claims that the girls had died accidentally and, on 17 December 2003, returned a majority verdict of guilty on both counts of murder. Huntley was subsequently sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum term to be decided by the Lord Chief Justice at a later date.[25]

In February 1999 he met 22-year-old Maxine Carr at a nightclub, and they moved in together after four weeks. The relationship endured despite some turbulent rows, and they moved to Littleport, near Soham, in 2001, where Huntley took a job at the Soham Village Centre as the manager of a team of caretakers.

In particular to assess the effectiveness of the relevant intelligence-based record keeping, the vetting practices in those forces since 1995 and information sharing with other agencies, and to report to the Home Secretary on matters of local and national relevance and make recommendations as appropriate.

They had two daughters. Anna Maria was born on 16 October 1793, and was baptised in St. Andrew's Church on 30 January 1794. Their second child, Joanna Vassa, was born on 11 April 1795, and was baptised in St. Andrew's Church on 29 April 1795.

Although Mr. Huntley made clear attempts to appear insane, I have no doubt that the man currently, and at the time of the murders, was both physically and mentally sound and therefore, if he is found guilty, carried out the murders totally aware of his actions.

A month later, Huntley was investigated once again over allegations of underage sex, but this allegation too did not result in a charge. The same outcome occurred the following month when he was investigated over allegations of having sex with a 13-year-old girl.

In November 2011, it was reported that Carr had given birth to her first child by her new husband. Her anonymity order extends to include the child so that he or she may never know their mother's true identity.[53]

Huntley's motive for killing Wells and Chapman may never be known, but minutes before seeing them he had reportedly slammed the telephone down on Carr following a furious argument;[1] Huntley had allegedly suspected Carr of cheating on him. The police suspected that Huntley killed the girls in a fit of jealous rage.[1] Huntley's mother also said that she suspected this.[2] The police found no evidence of premeditation.[3]


In August 1995, when Huntley was 21 years old, a joint investigation was launched by police and social services in Grimsby, after a 15-year-old girl stated that she had been having sex with Huntley. Police did not pursue the case against Huntley in accordance with the girl's wishes.

Her failure to expose Huntley's lies in the early stages of the investigation (before either of them were arrested) meant that police initially eliminated Huntley as a suspect; due to her false statement, it took the police nearly two weeks to arrest and charge him.[29]

We warmly invite all propective students and their parents and carers to our Open Evening

On 23 January 2008, Huntley was moved to Frankland prison near Durham.

Ian Kevin Huntley, a caretaker at local secondary school Soham Village College, was convicted on 17 December 2003 of the girls' murder and sentenced to two terms of life imprisonment, with the High Court later setting a minimum term of 40 years.

In the early days of the investigation, a woman living in the nearby village of Little Thetford claimed to have seen two girls whose appearance and clothing matched those of Wells and Chapman walking past her home on the morning after they were reported missing.[5] Police also seized a white van from a caravan park in Wentworth, some 10 miles from Soham, on 7 August.[6]

Cost of a county council owned solar farm in East Cambridgeshire has rocketed by £500,000 – because of Brexit.

The A142 road runs past Soham, which is served by an hourly bus service Monday to Friday and a reduced service on Saturday. Soham railway station was closed to passengers in 1965,[9] although the line remains open for freight and diversions. In January 2013 Network Rail released a five-year upgrade plan, which included reopening Soham station.[10]

The Soham murders occurred in Soham, Cambridgeshire, England, on 4 August 2002. The victims were two 10-year-old girls, Holly Marie Wells and Jessica Aimee Chapman. Their bodies were found near RAF Lakenheath, Suffolk, on 17 August 2002, by a local farm worker.

In February 1999, Huntley (then aged 25) met 22-year-old Maxine Carr at Hollywood's nightclub in Grimsby town centre.[23] She later moved in with him at his flat in Barton-upon-Humber, a small town on the southern banks of the River Humber. Carr found a job packing fish at the local fish processing factory while Huntley worked as a barman. He also travelled to Cambridgeshire on his days off to help his father who was working as a school caretaker in the village of Littleport near Ely.