There is one other smaller stone, of the same type, in the churchyard, which was once situated near the large stone. The Norman church was almost certainly intentionally built on a site which was already considered sacred, a practice which was common through the country, indeed the name of Rudston is thought to come from the Old English "Rood-stane", meaning "cross-stone", implying that a stone already venerated was adapted for Christian purposes.
Here stands the Rudston Monolith; at over 25 feet (7.6 m) tall, it is the tallest standing stone in England, and gave the village its name; it is Grade I listed.
This site contains a range of interesting information about the village and its activities.
The place-name 'Rudston' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, and means 'rood' or 'cross' stone, referring to the monolith. However, the name 'rud' derives from Old Norse ruð, meaning a clearing or pasture. So the place name could be stone in the clearing, Ruðstane. Nearby Howes of Duggleby and Ba'l (In Ugaritic mythology Baal is the lord of the storm; he bears a mace where Thor will grasp a hammer) also indicate Norse Viking place names rather than Anglo-Saxon origins.
The Rudston Monolith at over 7.6 metres (25 ft) is the tallest megalith (standing stone) in the United Kingdom. It is situated in the churchyard in the village of Rudston (grid reference TA098678) in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
According to the 2011 UK census, Rudston parish had a population of 409, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 390.
Royston stated that in 1861 during levelling of the church yard an additional 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) of the monolith was buried.
Rudston is a rural village in the Yorkshire Wolds, 6 miles west of Bridlington. The village is surrounded by prime farming land, as can be seen from the photograph above, and the churchyard contains the Monolith from which the village gets its name (Rood Stane).
There are many other prehistoric monuments in the area, including four cursuses, three of which appear to converge towards the site of the monolith.
The Bosville Arms is set in the picturesque village of Rudston in the heart of the Yorkshire countryside, just a few miles from the seaside towns of Bridlington, Filey and Scarborough.
Sir William Strickland is reported to have conducted an experiment in the late 18th century determining that there was as much of the stone below ground as is visible above. Strickland found many skulls during his dig and suggested they might have been sacrificial.
We offer cheap meals for the over 60s, and free games nights.
Rudston is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated between Driffield and Bridlington approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) to the west of Bridlington, and lies on the B1253 road. The Gypsey Race (an intermittent stream) runs through the village, which lies in the Great Wold Valley. There are a number of Neolithic sites associated with the stream and its valley. It is the current Seat of the Clan Macdonald of Sleat.
We hope you enjoy browsing the site and find it both interesting and useful.
Thorpe Hall to the east of the village was designated a Grade II* listed building in 1952 and is now recorded in the National Heritage List for England, maintained by Historic England.
Rudston Roman villa, noted for its mosaics, was first excavated in 1839. It was subsequently re-excavated in the 1930s, 1960s and 1970s.
Rudston is the centre of an unparalleled grouping of four Neolithic cursus monuments: cursus A, cursus B, cursus C and cursus D. At least one end of each cursus rests on an elevated chalk ridge on the sides of the Great Wold Valley. Cursuses A and C cross the Gypsey Race, whilst the other ends of cursuses B and D probably lie under the village.
Our friendly and helpful staff will give you a warm welcome. We offer the highest standards in our bar, restaurant and guest rooms, and we are proud of our strong reputation.