The ward of Quinton forms part of Birmingham Edgbaston (UK Parliament constituency) along with Bartley Green, Edgbaston and Harborne, which has been represented by Labour MP Gisela Stuart since 1997.
The parish borders the parishes of Wootton, Hackleton, Hartwell, Ashton, Roade, Courteenhall and Grange Park. The latter housing estate, effectively all but an urban expansion of Northampton, is only 500 yards away across some fields.
Quinton is home to two amateur football teams, Quinton Magpies and Quinton Rangers, both play in the Warley and District Football League. A healthy local rivalry has been built up over several years.
Before the Church was built, it was part of the ancient parish of Halesowen and was largely owned in medieval times by the wealthy abbey at Lapal near Halesowen. The parish was generally known as Ridgacre until 1901, and formed, with the most of rest of Halesowen parish, a detached part of Shropshire until 1844. The area had developed along the Kidderminster and Birmingham Road, which had been turnpiked.
The expanded Quinton of that time was fictionalised as "Tilton" by Francis Brett Young in his novel Mr & Mrs Pennington.
Quinton has one secondary school, Four Dwellings Academy and five primary schools; Quinton C of E, Worlds End Primary School, Woodhouse Primary School, Welsh House Farm Community School and Four Dwellings Primary Academy.
Excellent throughout. We felt the friendly, caring atmosphere the moment we entered the building. My mother could not have received better care...
Quinton borders the Birmingham suburbs of Harborne and Bartley Green and the Black Country area of Warley, and is separated by the M5 motorway from the Black Country town of Halesowen. It covers an area of 4.8 square kilometres (2 sq mi); its population was recorded in the 2001 UK census as 23,084, though its boundaries have since expanded slightly. The eastern parts of it were formerly known as "Ridgacre", with Quinton or "The Quinton" being the area now around the church.
The 2001 census shows a population of 194 people, 90 male, 104 female in 72 dwellings, increasing to 204 at the 2011 census.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St John the Baptist, mostly remodelled in 1801, though the tower is 13th century and there are Norman parts. There is a notable monument to Eleanor Maccalum (d.1909) in the churchyard of terracotta with angels at the head and foot.
In the 1840s, it was mentioned, then called The Quinton, that there were two small coal mines in the area and that the inhabitants were employed in nail manufacturing. Christ Church was constructed in 1840 at a cost of £2,500.
The English surname and given name may originate from the English place name Quinton. The French surname Quinton [kɛ̃tɔ̃] is a common surname and a former given name. It is a variant form of Quenton [kɑ̃tɔ̃], itself from Quentin, Quintin with a usual replacement of the suffix -in (such as in the surnames Quintard, Quintier) by -on, suffix commonly used in the French given names (e. g. Marion, Yvon) and surnames (e.g. Creton, Crinon, Bricon, etc.)
The largest open space is Woodgate Valley Country Park, through which the Bourne Brook flows, dividing Quinton from Woodgate, South Woodgate and Bartley Green.
Quinton became, with the rest of Birmingham, part of the metropolitan county of the West Midlands on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972.
Contact reservations: 08451 551 551**Calls will cost 2p per minute plus your telephone company's access charge
Though this area (including the Christ Church and its associated primary school) dates back to the Victorian era, and Quinton was formally removed from Worcestershire and incorporated into the county borough of Birmingham, in Warwickshire, on 9 November 1909, a tree was planted by Birmingham's Lord Mayor in Quinton Recreation Ground to commemorate the centenary. Quinton remained in character a village rather than a suburb until the large-scale private housing development of the 1930s.
Quinton is a suburb on the western edge of Birmingham, England. It is a Birmingham City Council ward within the Edgbaston formal district, and forms a part of the Birmingham Edgbaston parliamentary constituency.
Quinton ward is currently represented by three Labour councillors on Birmingham City Council; Kate Booth, John Clancy and Matthew Gregson.
The 2001 Population Census recorded that 23,084 people were living in Quinton. 14.5% (3,301) of the ward's population consisted of ethnic minorities compared with 29.6% for Birmingham. 71.7% of the population of Quinton stated Christianity as their religion.
Urban expansion of Northampton was being planned in October 2008 which would absorb the village in its entirety.
Quinton is a village and civil parish in South Northamptonshire, England. It is about 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Northampton town centre along the road from Wootton to Hanslope, near Salcey Forest.
The place name originates from Old English cwen "queen" or cwene "woman" and tun "farmstead, estate".
Quinton is a place name, a surname or a masculine given name.
Factory developments were not planned for the area as a result of objections by residents of Edgbaston to the possibility of fumes being blown over to their area by the wind.
The Old Quinton area, in the west of Quinton, contains the highest point in Birmingham, and the top of the spire of the (Church of England) Christ Church is the highest point of any building in Birmingham. The escarpment a little to the west also forms part of the national watershed.