The local newspaper is The Cornishman, published weekly. Both ITV television (Westcountry Television) and BBC Radio Cornwall have small news studios in the town. The local community radio station is Penwith Radio, which is based in the town, and is currently broadcasting online, but is set to broadcast on FM frequency sometime in 2013. There are two ILR stations for Cornwall, Pirate FM, can be received in Penzance on 102.8 MHz FM, and Heart on 107.0 MHz FM.
Penzance is situated in the heart of Mount's Bay, overlooked by the beautiful St. Michael's Mount, in a natural harbour on the very Southwest tip of England, UK. The town is the tourist, economic and transport hub for West Cornwall.
"Penzance has done much to destroy its attractive character. The older houses in the narrow centre round the market hall have been pulled down and third-rate commercial 'contemporary', of which the Pearl Assurance building is a nasty example, are turning it into Slough".
In the summer of 1578 Penzance was visited by the plague. The burial registers of Madron (where all Penzance births, deaths and marriages were recorded) shows a massive increase in deaths for 1578, from 12 the previous year to 155. This is estimated to be about 10% of the population of the village at the time. The plague also returned in 1647 and the registers again show an increase of from 22 burials to 217 in one year.
Pass on your congratulations to Olympic Gold Medal Winner Helen Glover Read More >
During the English Civil War Penzance was sacked by the Parliamentarian forces of Sir Thomas Fairfax apparently for the kindness shown to Lord Goring and Lord Hopton's troops during the conflict.
For more about the towns history go to the Penzance history page
Business and Commerce providers cover a wide range of activity in the services, distribution, production, agriculture and manufacturing sectors.
Penzance venues need your votes Read More >
The Mini Transat 6.50 (now the Transit 6.50) transatlantic yacht race started from Penzance (hosted by Penzance Sailing Club) from its conception in 1977 to the fourth edition of the race in 1983.
Down at the bottom, close to the harbour is the Dolphin Inn, which is said to have been the first place in Britain where tobacco was smoked. It is also said to have housed Sir John Hawkins during the wars with Spain and to have been the venue for trials over which Hanging Judge Jeffreys presided in the 17th century.
Penzance Town Council serving the people of Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, Gulval & Heamoor.
Tourism in Penzance & West Cornwall
The Civil Parish of Penzance was further extended in 2004 under District of Penwith (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 to include Eastern Green, formerly part of the Ludgvan civil parish area.
CrossCountry run a small number of services (departing in the morning, arriving in the evening) providing a service to destinations such as Birmingham New Street, Wolverhampton, Derby, Sheffield, Manchester Piccadilly, Leeds, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh.
Penzance has a long-standing association with the local parish of Madron. Madron Church was in fact the centre of most religious activity in the town until 1871, when St Mary's Church (until this period a chapel of ease) was granted parish status by church authorities though it had been registered since the new church was built in 1832.
The old arms of Penzance were the head of St John the Baptist on a charger, with the legend "Pensans anno Domini 1614". The arms of the borough are Arg. a Paschal lamb proper in base a Maltese cross Az. on a chief embattled of the last between two keys in saltire wards upwards Or and a saltire couped Arg. a plate charged with a dagger point downwards Gu.
Purely Penzance is the one stop guide to this vibrant yet historic town. Written by locals, updated regularly, independent & completely free to use. This allows us to give you an impartial and honest representation of life in the town.
Passengers using the station are greeted with a bilingual sign in both Cornish and English.
Penzance was an ancient borough, which became a municipal borough in 1835. Until 1934 the Municipal Borough of Penzance referred only to the town, but in 1934 the borough absorbed the nearby settlements of Newlyn, Paul and Mousehole (from Paul Urban District), Gulval (from West Penwith Rural District) and Heamoor (from Madron Urban District).
Penlee Quarry which is within the boundaries of the Penzance parish is a geological SSSI.
View our complete directory of Hotels, B&B's, Self Catering, Guest Houses and other accommodation in West Cornwall. Get full contact info & web links - Read more
Penzance Town Council does not have in place a system of political registration, so councillors do not form groups of any kind and technically act independently; however, the current political composition of the council (as of 22 August 2009) is as follows: Independent 10, Liberal Democrats 8, Mebyon Kernow 1 with one vacancy.
There are hundreds of reasons to visit Penzance for shopping and they are all located and listed in the Shopping Guide, while numerous gastronomic choices await you at its many Restaurants, Bars and Cafés.
In medieval times and later, Penzance was subject to frequent raiding by "Turkish pirates", in fact Barbary Corsairs. Throughout the period before Penzance gained borough status in 1614 the village and surrounding areas continued to be within the control of the Manor of Alverton and was subject to the taxation regime of that manor.
The town’s most famous son is probably Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829), whose statue stands in the centre of town at the top of Market Jew Street, in front of the granite porticoes of the 19th century Market House. Across the road is a plaque to the memory of the great man, appropriately on the wall of a chemist’s shop.
Buy and sell second hand goods using the West Cornwall Classifieds facebook page. Simple and safe. Take me there!
As a thriving community, Penzance has a complete range of Public Services - including health, education, social and general services for the local community,
Penzance promenade has been destroyed in parts several times by storms. The most recent example was on 7 March 1962 (Ash Wednesday), when large parts of the western end of the promenade, the nearby Bedford Bolitho Gardens (now a play park) and the village of Wherrytown suffered severe damage. On the outskirts of town is Trereife House, a grade II listed Queen Anne style, manor house which now offers accommodation and hosts events.
The civil parish includes the town of Newlyn and the villages of Mousehole, Paul, Gulval and Heamoor.
Penzance also elects a mayor every year in May from the members of Penzance town council. Although mayors have a political affiliation, this position is largely ceremonial. The current mayor is Cllr. David Nebesnuick.
Around the headland, public baths were opened on the Promenade in 1887 and the Morrab Gardens with its sub-tropical plants was opened two years later. A bandstand was added to the gardens in 1897.
Spacious disabled toilet with hoist and trolley for disabled people and those with profound and multiple learning disabilities can be found at Poppies Community Café and Gallery, Knights Yard, Belgravia Street, Penzance.
The name Penzance is derived from the Cornish Pen Sans, meaning holy headland, as a chapel once stood on the point to the west of the harbour more than a millennium ago. The town received various Royal Charters from 1512 onwards and has long been the commercial centre for the Land’s End Peninsula.
Penzance Town Council Alverton Street Penzance TR18 2QP
Granted various royal charters from 1512 onwards and incorporated in 1614, it has a population of 21,200 (2011 census).
Find plenty of useful information in our bursting tourism section. Loads of things to do in & around Penzance + leaflets - Read More
Penzance is twinned with the following towns:
When the area between Marazion and Penzance was mainly marsh, people tended to avoid the Eastern Green because of the "White Lady". She would jump onto a horse (already with rider) and ride pillion as far as the Red River, Chyandour (not the Red River at Marazion). Her identity and reasons for haunting are unknown. Mr William Richards of Chapel Street is reputed to be the last person to have seen her.
Land was reclaimed beside the Albert Pier in the 1930s to allow the railway station to be enlarged at a cost of £134,000. The 1880 building was retained, but extra platforms and sidings were provided to handle more perishable goods, as well as the increasing numbers of tourists.