Major work was undertaken at Neasden between 2010-2011, with much of the 1930s layout being altered to make it suitable for maintenance of the S Stock, which began to be rolled out in 2010 to all London Underground Sub Surface lines.
When it opened, Neasden was also a manufacturing railway works, producing locomotives and coaching stock for the Metropolitan Railway. The final locomotive produced at the works was in 1898. The depot serviced both steam and electric Metropolitan locomotives.
Neasden was one of the locations in the TV documentary Metro-land (TV). In it, Sir John Betjeman described Neasden as "home of the gnome and the average citizen" (the former a reference to the preponderance of gnome statuettes in suburban front-gardens, but possibly also a nod in the direction of the Eye’s fictional proprietor, Lord Gnome). Background music was provided by William Rushton’s recording of Neasden (1972) ("Neasden/You won’t be sorry that you breezed in").
The depot also carries out S Stock servicing for trains used on the Hammersmith & City line and on the Circle line.
In 1995, Neasden became the home of the biggest Hindu temple outside India: the Neasden Temple.
24 Jubilee line trains used to be stabled at Neasden Depot, however these are now serviced in Stratford Market Depot, an extensive new build facility on part of the site of the old Stratford Works.
Neasden Lane falls within the boundary of the Wembley Stadium event day parking zone, which is operational on all major event days at Wembley Stadium. On designated major event days, only residents with a special permit may park on the roads within the zone.
It is advisable to travel to the Assessment Centre by public transport if possible, as there are no public car parks nearby and much of the area falls within the Wembley Stadium event day parking zone (see below). However, there are several pay & display parking bays (maximum stay four hours) opposite Chancel House in Neasden Lane and in Denzil Road (access from Dudden Hill Lane only). Blue badge holders may park without charge.
Welcome to BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir. Popularly known as the ‘Neasden Temple’, it is a sanctuary of vibrant Hindu worship in north-west London.
He has exhibited his artwork and installations internationally and regularly releases edition screen print work with with Jealous Gallery, Print Club London and Yuck Print Studio.
Neasden was once nicknamed ‘the loneliest village in London’.
The Assessment Centre is located approximately 5 to 10 minutes walk from Neasden station (Jubilee line). Cross over Neasden Lane using the pedestrian crossing immediately in front of the station and turn right, passing under a railway bridge. Enter Chancel House via Entrance B (on the extreme left-hand side of the building as seen from the road, opposite the Global Fuel petrol station) and use the lift or stairs (40 steps) to reach the second floor.
It was proposed in 2008 that the North and West London Light Railway could serve the station.
Due to the rebuild, Neasden's steam shed has now been decommissioned and converted into the Depot's training facility.
Platform 4 looking west from a northbound Jubilee line train
In the 1890s change led to a conscious effort to create a village atmosphere. At this time, the Spotted Dog became a social centre for local people. By 1891 Neasden had a population of 930, half of whom lived in the village. Despite the presence of the village in the west, it was the London end that grew fastest.
He has also published his work in monographic books with Gestalten, as well as contributing to a range of group publications such as The Age of Collage Art, Contemporary Collage in Modern Art.
Bus route 297, which runs between Ealing Broadway and Willesden, stops close to the Assessment Centre in Neasden Lane. Alight at the Wharton Close bus stop. Routes 260 and 266 call nearby in High Road outside Brent Magistrates Court.
Although not part of the Depot, the Jubilee line signalling control centre is based on the same site.
Popularly known as the 'Neasden Temple’, the Mandir is a traditional place of Hindu worship designed and constructed entirely according to ancient Vedic architectural texts – using no structural steel whatsoever.
Apart from the railways, Neasden was dominated by agriculture until just before the First World War. In 1911, Neasden's population had swelled to 2,074. By 1913, light industry at Church End had spread up Neasden Lane as far as the station.
His output also includes collage, site specific installation, exhibitions, illustrated murals for interiors, motion graphics, animation and music videos, info graphics and illustrated icon design, pattern design and illustrated packaging.
During the 18th century the Nicoll family replaced the Roberts as the dominant family in Neasden. In the 19th century these farmers and moneyers at the Royal Mint wholly owned Neasden House and much of the land in the area.
In the 15th–17th century the Roberts family were the major landowners in the area. Thomas Roberts erected Neasden House (on the site of the modern Clifford Court) in the reign of Henry VIII. In 1651 Sir William Roberts bought confiscated church lands. After the Restoration the estates were returned to the ownership of the Church but were leased out to the Roberts family. Sir William improved Neasden House and by 1664 it was one of the largest houses in the Willesden parish.
The area was recorded as Neasdun in AD 939 and the name is derived from the Old English nēos = 'nose' and dūn = 'hill'. It means 'the nose-shaped hill' referring to a well-defined landmark of this area. In 1750, it was known as Needsden and the present spelling appeared at a later date.
His illustration projects, illustrated hand drawn type, murals and installations have been commissioned by advertising agencies, design studios, publishing companies, interior designers, magazine and newspapers.
Neasden Depot or Neasden Works is a London Underground railway depot on the Metropolitan line, located between Neasden and Wembley Park stations. It is the largest depot on the London Underground, maintaining the Met's 58 London Underground S Stock fleet.
Neasden was no more than a ‘retired hamlet’ when enclosure was completed in 1823. At this time there were six cottages, four larger houses or farms, a public house and a smithy, grouped around the green. The dwellings include The Grove, which had been bought by a London solicitor named James Hall, and its former outbuilding, which Hall had converted into a house that became known as The Grange.
Before Mill's arrival, the only sporting facilities in Neasden had been two packs of foxhounds, both of which had disbanded by 1857. Mills became founder president of Neasden Cricket Club and encouraged musical societies. In 1893 a golf club was founded at Neasden House, however only 10% of its members came from Neasden.
The 2004 redevelopment proved to be unpopular with local businesses as it changed the layouts of parking, thus forcing customers and local trade to pass by due to the parking restrictions of the redevelopment.
Neasden was a countryside hamlet on the western end of the Dollis Hill ridge. The land was owned by St. Paul's Cathedral. In medieval times, the village consisted only of several small buildings around the green near the site of the present Neasden roundabout.
The Mandir is open to people of all faiths and backgrounds, all year round. Entry is free.
Neasden /ˈniːzdən/ is an area in northwest London, United Kingdom. It forms part of the London Borough of Brent.
David Sutherland’s children’s novel 'A Black Hole in Neasden' reveals a gateway to another planet in a Neasden back garden. Diana Evans's 2006 novel, 26a, details the experiences of twin girls of Nigerian and British descent growing up in Neasden.
Willie Hamilton reported in 'My Queen and I' that the Victorian order medals were made on a production line in Neasden from used railway lines.
Neasden Power Station, which was built to provide power for the Metropolitan Railway, was closed and demolished in 1968.
The Post Office Research Station was located nearby in Dollis Hill. There the Colossus computers, among the world's first, were built in 1943-1944 and underneath it the Paddock wartime cabinet rooms were constructed in 1939.
Platform 1 looking east from a northbound Jubilee line train
Creator of the Neasden Temple and head of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, His Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj passed away on Saturday 13 August 2016. He will be remembered as the spiritual inspirer of millions.
Until 2004 The Grange housed the borough’s museum and archive, which has since moved to a purpose-built home in Willesden Green.