Milcombe House was a large 17th-century house. Most of it was demolished in 1953, but a small part has been retained as a farmhouse. Some outbuildings of the hall survive: an 18th-century dovecote and part of the 17th century stables.
Ælfric holds of the king 3 ½ hides in MIDELCUMBE. [There is] land for 2 ploughs. In demesne he has 1 ½ ploughs, with 2 slaves, and 2s. from part of a mill, and 15 acres of meadow. [There is] pasture 2 furlongs long and 1 furlong broad. There 3 villans with 1 bordar have half a plough. It was and is worth 30s.
Age Concern UK - 01295 278040 Alcoholics Anonymous - 0845 769 7555 Banbury Young Homeless Project - 01295 259442 Cherwell District Council - 01295 227001 Child Line - 0800 1111 Oxfordshire County Council - 01865 792422 Narcotics Anonymous - 0300 999 1212 Samaritans - 01295 270000
By about 1875 the Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway had been built through the parish. It passed very close to the village in a cutting at the foot of Fern Hill. The nearest station was Bloxham, 1 mile (1.6 km) away. British Railways closed Bloxham station in 1951 and closed the Banbury and Cheltenham railway completely in 1964, but the disused cutting beside Milcombe village remains.
Milcombe has a 17th-century public house, the Horse and Groom. The village hall is converted from a set of 17th century cottages. Milcombe has a village shop. In 2009 a Women's Institute was founded in Milcombe.
var sc_project=4528270; var sc_invisible=1; var sc_partition=34; var sc_click_stat=1; var sc_security="fff3681a";
Villagers who had depended on access to their common land endured a transition from susbsistence farmers to landless labourers.
Nineteenth Century The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) John Marius Wilson
Sarah Smith Contact Sarah on: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some worked on the land as employees in the new larger-scale farms, but most moved to the rapidly expanding towns, providing a workforce for the emerging factory system.
Enclosure Between 1750 and 1860, seven million acres of farmland in England was removed from common ownership and ‘Enclosed’ for private use.
Milcombe (pronounced "Mil-comb-bie") is a village and civil parish about 5 miles (8 km) southwest of Banbury, Oxfordshire.
In 1793 the villagers of Milcombe were deprived of 1,135 acres by an Act of Enclosure of ‘land and grounds, lying within the hamlet and liberties of Milcomb, in the county of Oxford’.
hi Is this a dog friendly Inn Im looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights in june but we have a dog
This area only 1 mile radius 2 mile radius 3 mile radius 4 mile radius 5 mile radius 10 mile radius 15 mile radius 20 mile radius 30 mile radius 40 mile radius
Domesday Book In 1085 William the Conqueror commissioned a survey to discover the resources and taxable values of all the boroughs and manors in England. Milcombe gets a short mention:
Bronze Age – The earliest evidence of human activity in Milcombe is the find of this palstave (axe-head), which dates from the middle bronze age, around 3,000 to 3,500 years ago – the same period as the King Stone at Rollright. (pictured right).
PIE AND A PINT FOR £12 EVERY TUESDAY AND THURSDAY!
The Church of England parish church of Saint Laurence was built in the 13th century, but little survives from this period except the west tower. The font is 15th century. In the 19th century the building was in very poor condition so in 1860 the Gothic Revival architect G.E. Street rebuilt the chancel and most of the nave. The parish benefice is now combined with those of Bloxham and South Newington.