March has its own museum, located down the High Street. It is in the building that was originally the South District Girls school, constructed in the 1850s, it went from school to school, until 1976 when the building was purchased by the Town Council. The Museum was opened in 1977.
March Royal Mail sorting office (previously a full post office) dates from 1936. It is unusual in that it is one of a handful of post offices that display the royal cypher from the brief reign of Edward VIII.
March has a Non-League football club March Town United F.C. who play at the GER Sports Ground.
Contact your MP or a Member of the House of Lords about an issue that matters to you
Book a school visit, classroom workshop or teacher-training session
With a long history of trading, in the reign of Elizabeth I, March was a minor port. In 1566 eight boats, capable of carrying one, one and a half, or two cartloads, were used in the coal and grain trades. A certain amount of traffic in coal and other commodities, carried in barges, was observed by Dugdale in 1657. Local tradesmen's tokens of 1669, and a silver shilling token of 1811, have been noted.
The market rights passed to Fenland District Council following the local government reorganisation in 1974.
The church is known for its magnificent double-hammer beam roof with 120 carved angels; it is regarded as one of the best of its kind.
Modern March lies on the course of the Fen Causeway, a Roman road, and there is evidence of Roman settlements in the area.
The area of the entire civil parish is 19669 acres of land and 108 of water; rateable value, £47,414; the area of the ecclesiastical parishes is
In Victorian times, other Anglican churches were built in March, nearer to where most of the inhabitants now lived. Thomas Henry Wyatt was responsible for the design of St John's, St Peter's and St Mary's (Westry).
John Betjeman described the church as "worth cycling 40 miles in a head wind to see".
The population of the civil parish and urban district in 1891 was 6,988; and ecclesiastical parishes viz:
March was divided into four ecclesiastical parishes which, with three others, were formed out of the previous parish of Doddington after 1863, under the Doddington Rectory Division Acts of 1847 and 1856 [10 and 11 Vict. c. 3 (1847) and 19 and 20 Vict. c. 1 (1856)].
Originally a market appears to have been held near the original town (then village) centre, on land beside The Causeway. A Market Cross (now called The Stone Cross) points towards the existence of an early market and this cross was erected in the early 16th century. This site was very near St Wendreda's Church.
In 1785 the tolls were assessed at £6 per year. Soon after this the market appears to have lapsed, though the fairs continued to prosper. The development of the market was impeded by the lack of a covered hall and because market day in several neighbouring towns fell on the same day (Friday).
In 1872 the Board of Health bought a Shand and Mason fire engine that was the town's first steam appliance and was housed in the Market House. In the same year the vestry agreed to erect a urinal at the back of the Butter Cross for use by boys attending the Clock House School, but would not erect a water closet (toilet).
It is open every Saturday and Wednesday from 10:30 - 15:30 and contains a vast amount of local memorabilia, both from March, and its surrounding villages. Such artefacts include the clock face from the Church of St Mary, Benwick and a large collection of cameras.
St Wendreda, to whom the church is dedicated, is the town's own saint and March is the only known church dedication to this saint. She was a 7th-century Anglo-Saxon who is supposed to have been a daughter of King Anna of East Anglia (killed 654) one of the first Christian Kings of the kingdom of East Anglia. Two of her sisters, Etheldreda and Sexburgha, who were the abbesses of Ely and Minster-in-Sheppey respectively, are better known saints. She is also associated with Exning, Suffolk.
See some of the sights you’ll encounter on a tour of Parliament
Produced by Commons Library, Lords Library and Parliamentary Office Science and Technology
The town's major employers are Whitemoor Prison, Tesco and Sainsbury's, and the many food processing factories in the area.
The town was an important railway centre, with a major junction between the Great Eastern Railway and Great Northern Railway at March railway station. The station is 88 mi (142 km) from London by rail, 29 mi (47 km) north of Cambridge, 14 mi (23 km) north west of Ely and 9 mi (14 km) south of Wisbech.
Take a tour of Parliament and enjoy a delicious afternoon tea by the River Thames
A single arch bridge was built over the River Nene towards the north end of the town in 1850. High Street, which is the chief thoroughfare, is continued over the bridge to Broad Street on the north side of the Nene, and The Causeway is lined with a fine avenue of elm and other trees.
The "March March march" was a walk from March to Cambridge, which was walked annually in the month of March by students and academics from Cambridge University from 1979 to 2012.
Search for Members by name, postcode, constituency and party
March is the third month of the year in both the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
A Local Board of Health was formed in 1851, under Act 14 and 15 Vict. c. 10, but by the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 the town became governed by an Urban District Council of 12 members. Gas lighting was provided by the March Gas and Coke Co. Limited. The Wisbech Water Works Company, under a provisional order obtained in 1884, supplied the town with water, which was brought through mains pipes from Wisbech, 10 miles (16 km) away.
The town grew by becoming an important railway centre.
March 1 began the numbered year in Russia until the end of the 15th century. Great Britain and its colonies continued to use March 25 until 1752, when they finally adopted the Gregorian calendar (the fiscal year in the UK continues to begin on the 6th April, initially identical to 25 March in the former Julian calendar). Many other cultures and religions still celebrate the beginning of the New Year in March.
The saint's relics were enshrined in gold in Ely Cathedral, until in 1016 they were carried off to battle in the hope they would bring victory to Edmund Ironside, the son of King Ethelred. But at the Battle of Ashingdon the army of King Canute captured the relics and he presented them to Canterbury Cathedral. In 1343 the relics were returned to March, but their final resting place is unknown.
March is situated on the banks of the old course of the navigable River Nene, and today mainly used by pleasure boats.
In March Town Centre there are independent shops and retailers such as W. H. Smith, Boyes, Boots, Sainsbury's, M&Co and Superdrug. In recent times[when?] out-of-town development has taken place. In 2008 Meadowland retail park opened with an Argos Superstore, Mattressman, Carpetright, Halfords and The Original Factory Shop. Tesco also extended their store to a significantly larger store next to B & M.
Find and register for Parliament's free events and training sessions
Like many Fenland towns, March was once an island surrounded by marshes. It occupied the second largest "island" in the Great Level. As the land drained, the town grew and prospered as a trading and religious centre. It was also a minor port before, in more recent times, a market town and an administrative and railway centre.
A round up of this week’s business in the Chamber and Westminster Hall
Celebrating people who have made Parliament a positive, inclusive working environment
The want of a market house was remedied, in a makeshift fashion, by Sir Henry Peyton (who was the Lord of the Manor of Doddington). His building, however, was only 40 ft long (12 m) by 17 ft broad (5.2 m), and provided only 14 stalls under cover.
Four staff networks for people to discuss and consider issues.