Longton is a southern district of Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, one of the six towns of the Potteries which formed the City of Stoke-on-Trent in 1910.
Most houses in Longton are semi-detached, detached, bungalows or homes that are part of modern housing estates. About 70% of accommodation in Longton was built in the 1960s and 1970s, but more modern developments have been constructed.
The town is in the parish and parliamentary borough of Stoke-upon-Trent. Including its southern suburbs in Blurton and Normacott.
In caring about excellence and each other, and in promoting enjoyment and happiness through fulfilment. Click on the images below to see a full outline of our aims.
Postcode or town name (for stores in Northern Ireland enter a postcode)
Club Kinetic located above the old bus station in the former Jollees bar was a popular rave music venue, but unfortunately had to close in January 1997 after going into administration.
Until the last decade of the 18thC it was known only for its coal mines and iron works but from the 19thC it developed into a major centre for the production of bone china. Lord of the Manor - The Duke of Sutherland and John E Heathcote, Esq, own a great part of the land in both liberties, and the latter is lord of the manor, and owner of Longton Hall
LANE END and LONGTON are two townships, forming a populous and thriving market town, in the parish of Stoke; situate at the southern extremity of the Potteries, four miles south east from Newcastle, on the road between that town and Uttoxeter. This place has risen to opulence and importance, within a comparatively few years, by the prosperous manufactures which distinguish this district.
Longton ('long village') was a market town in the parish of Stoke in the county of Staffordshire. The town still has a market housed in an attractively renovated market hall.
Longton Primary School is situated in the village of Longton not far from Preston. Set in a quiet, semi-rural area we pride ourselves in offering a broad and balanced curriculum whilst maintaining a caring atmosphere. Please keep an eye on our site for new additions, photographs, movies, examples of your children's work and useful sites for your children to visit.
A small, plain Wesleyan chapel was built in Marsh Lane in 1807 and enlarged in 1833. In 1872 a new chapel was built in the Early English style.
In 2003 a large Tesco Extra superstore was built and has helped to rejuvenate the town. Since then, other major retailers such as Argos, Next, Pizza Hut, Matalan, Wilkinson and B & M have opened new premises.
Longton Riding Club is affiliated to the British Riding Clubs, which is part of the British Horse Society.
Other local business like Hylands Ltd ( www.hylands.tv ) and Bevans have also thrived in the area.
The parish was part of Preston Rural District throughout its existence from 1894 to 1974. In 1974 the parish became part of South Ribble.
Argos App for iOS & Android GET IT NOW
We shall continue our letter by telling you about our everyday lives at Longton Primary. In the morning, we wake ourselves up by doing a shorter lesson e.g. Punctuation and Grammar or in the younger years Phonics. After break, we typically do Maths and English. In the afternoon you usually do a wide range of fun lessons such as Art, Topic, and P.E.
Route planning around the station including maps and platforms
Sign up for the Newsletters or put us in contact with an old supporter
Longton Marshes are a large area of marshland to the west of Longton lying at the confluence of the Rivers Douglas and Ribble which is now part of the Ribble Link. It is the natural home for a large variety of visiting and indigenous wildfowl. The 70 mile Ribble Way footpath starts at the Dolphin Inn, once owned by the Holmes family, on the edge of the marsh and follows its edge before joining the Ribble.
We are a friendly and family oriented club, providing a host of classes to suit everyone from beginners to more advanced riders and handlers. Our friendly desk staff are happy to offer help and advice to anyone needing it and we welcome both members and non-members alike.
St. Oswald's Catholic Church was established in 1893 and on 16 October 1894 a chapel and school was opened, entirely funded by the wealthy Liverpool priest, Canon Lennon. By 1965, the congregation had vastly increased and a new church was built on an adjacent site.
Please note that Longton Library will be closed on Thursday 7 May, 2015 as it will be used as a polling station for the local and general elections.
At Longton Primary, we participate in a wide variety of amazing activities - in Year 1, a visit that will last long in the memory was our outing to Underwater Street. This is an activity centre filled with lots of science challenges. Some of these involve: making a magnet; getting put inside of a giant bubble and other team building exercises. There are many more fun and educational trips we could mention; however, that’s only giving you a small glimpse into our primary school experiences.
Longton Brickcroft is a former brickworks which has been transformed into a nature reserve and public open space. It was declared a Local Nature Reserve by South Ribble Borough Council in 1998. The environment has been made extremely attractive, dominated by water which has filled the former clay pits. One of the water areas is available for fishing. The areas surrounding the water have been allowed to develop naturally with trees, shrubbery and wild plants.
Alternatively, why not shop our range of Home & Garden, Technology, or Toys now.
Arnold Bennett referred to Longton as Longshaw in his novels centred on the Potteries towns.
Longton has a Scouts division, a small building across from Booths on Liverpool Road, next to St. Andrew's Church Hall. It has all 3 major stages, from Beavers to Cubs to Scouts. The neckerchief colours are blue and white. Longton also has a Girl Scouts division. Based in the Church Hall, it has 2 of the major stages: Brownies and Guides.
Contact: Longton Library Sutherland Institute Lightwood Road Longton Stoke-on-Trent ST3 4HY
In 1882 the West Lancashire Railway came to the village. Longton Bridge railway station was aimed at opening the village up to the local economic hubs of Preston and Southport, but the placement of the station in relation to the village was too far. The line closed in 1964. While some of the line's earth bankings and bridge foundations are still visible on Liverpool Road, much of the track has been built over.
Jollees Cabaret Club was a very popular nightspot in the 1970s, attracting some of the biggest names in entertainment. In the early 1990s, Shelley's Laserdome became widely known throughout the Midlands as a rave venue, but it was forced to close in 1992.
Hire the Phoenix Suite for Parties, Weddings, Meetings and Conferences.
We hope your child enjoys Longton Primary School as much as we have!
Apart from St. Andrew's Church, the Anglican church on Liverpool Road, there is a Methodist Chapel called Longton Methodist Church and the Catholic church of St. Oswald on Chapel Lane.
Coal miners in the Hanley and Longton area ignited the 1842 General Strike and associated Pottery Riots.
Bus services in Longton are provided by Stagecoach North West, with regular services operating to Preston City Centre and Southport or Ormskirk. Preston Bus also operates an hourly service linking the village with New Longton, Lower Penwortham and Preston City Centre.
The Brickcroft is of particular interest to birdwatchers and botanists with seating and footpaths making it accessible for most visitors. A purpose built visitor centre contains informative displays on the site's history, local wildlife and the environment. Facilities include toilets with disabled and baby changing provision, car parking and a picnic area.
Then, building firm St. Modwen's, opened an £8 million retail complex in April 2012. The stores there include Mcdonalds, Pets at Home, Smyths and Currys.
Click here to view our Headteacher's welcome, click here to download the full floor plan, click here for school performance tables.
From the A50/M1 J24a - exit M1 at Junction 24a.Take the A50 for approx 38 miles to Stoke-on-Trent Longton/Trentham Junction. Exit at Longton/Trentham. Take the 3rd exit at the roundabout. Longton Library is on the left. Click here for a map showing the location of Longton Library.