Demonstrating that the Lanchester Trust has interests in all aspects of Lanchester creativity and invention, the Trustees are pleased to announce the formation of the Lanchester Trust Aeronautical Scholarship whereby Frederick Lanchester’s aeronautical theories are to be studied in depth at Coventry University. Subject: Flight dynamics and stability analysis and validation of Frederick Lanchester’s 1897[…]
The post-war Fourteen had an entirely new coachbuilt body. When supplied for export with the lighter all-steel body, the car was known as the Lanchester Leda
The other churches within Lanchester are the All Saints' Catholic church and the Methodist Church which is centred in the heart of the village.
Power was transmitted to the rear wheels with the usual Daimler fluid flywheel and self-changing gearbox but the final drive was now by spiral bevel. A pin roller-bearing propeller-shaft led to a half-floating spiral bevel driven back axle.
The radiator case was carried well forward of the front axle which lengthened the bonnet and, with the sweeping lines of the body, gave a big car appearance. "Easy clean" wheels were fitted, the front seats were adjustable, and the steering wheel column was telescopic.
For 1928 there was George's last design, a 4446 cc straight-8; only 126 were made before the economic depression effectively killed demand.
Daimler was in decline, and in 1960 BSA sold Daimler's premises and business to Jaguar Cars who have since used the Daimler name on their most expensive products. Jaguar has moved into and out of the Ford group and since 2008 Jaguar, Lanchester belongs to Tata Motors.
By the 15th century, the college was falling out of use and the church fell into a poor state of repair with "gaping ruins" in the church, Deanery and the canons' houses. By the time Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries the College and Deanery were abolished and the church returned to perpetual curacy.
The schools at Lanchester include St Bede's Catholic School and Sixth Form College and Derwentside College's Sixth Form Centre. There are also two primary schools: Lanchester All Saints' RC Primary School and Lanchester Endowed Parochial (E.P) This latter has since moved about 50 yards (46 m) to new premises and the old school is now the village hall. The school has a nursery, an infants department and a juniors department.
A luggage boot was added at the back with a separate lockable compartment for a spare wheel. Other additions were footrests for the back passengers, an electric cigarette lighter, a sunshine roof, double screen wipers, sun visors, and a new pistol-grip handbrake lever on the dash.
Lanchester estimated the fuel consumption to be 22 mpg. Maximum speed 70 mph.
Disc type bolt-on wheels were fitted with 6.7" x 15" low pressure cushion tyres.
The engines were 3,330 and 4,440 cc respectively, their wheelbase and track:
Would you like to see photographs of YOUR Lanchester included in the upcoming Volume II of The Lanchester Legacy? If you have some attractive pictures of your car(s), please get in touch using our Contact forms, or simply send me an email directly with the details. I can’t promise that every car will be included,[…]
Wheelbase and track had been extended by 7½ inches and 4 inches respectively, providing more body space and inter-axle seating. Steering was now by worm and double roller.
Watch Chris Clark, author of The Lanchester Legacy Trilogy, as he examines this beautiful and unique Lanchester 38hp, specially commissioned in 1912 by the Maharajah of Rewa. The video was made in 2011, just before the car was auctioned by Bonhams at the historic Brooklands Motor Course in Surrey, England.
FOR SALE 1939 Lanchester 11hp Saloon The engine has been re-bored and runs well. Brakes have been relined. Lights and flashing indicators good. Running boards recovered. The car has been Registered as ALF 43 on an old buff-coloured log book; there is no new V5 but it has been registered to – and owned by[…]
FOR SALE 1951 Lanchester LD10 This Barker-bodied LD10 is in very good condition throughout, with much time and money spent to maintain this luxurious, compact car in as near original condition as possible. It has low mileage and few recorded owners from new. Price is £7,000 ono. Contact Andy on 01924 276880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The then Duke of York, a repeat customer during the 1920s and 1930s, preferred this less showy version of a Daimler car and took delivery of a pair of specially built Daimler straight-eight limousines with the Lanchester grille and badges.
Independent front wheel springing was provided in the form of parallel links with coil springs, radius arms and torsion bar damping. The rear half-elliptical springs also were given a torsion bar stabilizer and hydraulic shock absorbers. They were rubber-mounted to minimise vibration. The exhaust system was also insulated.
The crankshaft ran in four bearings The engine unit had bi-axial four-point rubber mountings.
Lanchester is a village and civil parish in County Durham, England, and was in the former district of Derwentside (1975–2009). It is 8 miles (13 km) to the west of the city of Durham and 5 miles (8 km) from the former steel town of Consett, and has a population of slightly more than 4,000, measured at the 2011 Census as 4,054.
The Lanchester Motor Company Limited was a car manufacturer located until early 1931 at Armourer Mills, Montgomery Street, Sparkbrook, Birmingham, and afterwards at Sandy Lane, Coventry England.
The four-light four-door sports saloon was given a new "razor edge" body. The entirely new Roadrider shape, introduced within twelve months, was similar in appearance.
FOR SALE 1936 Lanchester 14 Coupe This outstanding example of a Mulliner-bodied 1936 14hp Lanchester Roadrider Sports Saloon is now offered for sale at 28,000 Euros. It is located in Spain and has been meticulously cared for by its owners. Contact Louis or Gonzalo on +34 630 050634 (for Spanish-speakers) or email Louis on email@example.com
During WWI the company made artillery shells and some aircraft engines but some vehicle production continued with the Lanchester 4x2 Armoured Cars built on the Lanchester 38 hp chassis for use by the Royal Naval Air Service on the Western Front.
An electoral ward in the same name exists. The population of this ward taken at the 2011 Census was 7,446.
All bodies were made by external coachbuilders until 1903 when a body department was set up and up to 1914 most cars carried Lanchester built bodies. In 1904, despite a full order book, the business ran out of money and The Lanchester Engine Company Limited was put into voluntary liquidation. After a period of management by a receiver the business was re-organised re-capitalized and incorporated as The Lanchester Motor Company Limited later that year.
A new Lanchester Roadrider "breaking fresh and important ground" was announced at the beginning of October 1937. Engine, chassis, and body were all different, and larger and independent front suspension was now provided. An optional manual syncromesh gearbox with an ordinary clutch was also available at reduced price. This car was a simpler, less luxurious version of the Daimler New Fifteen, sharing the two standard bodies but using a smaller engine.
Although there was a small drift mine on the edge of the village which closed in the 1970s, Lanchester's economy was mainly based on agriculture. It is now a residential village in which a number of housing estates have been developed since the late 1960s. The village centre now has three pubs and a small shopping centre. Thanks to the Lanchester Partnership, a cycle track was opened on 25 April 2009.
These followed the customary Lanchester practice and the transmission included the Daimler fluid flywheel and the self-changing pre-selective four-speed gearbox. Final drive was by underslung worm gear.
The Fourteen was continued after World War II, with a coachbuilt body for the home market and, under the Lanchester Leda name for the export market, with a lighter all-steel body.
After decades of in-depth research, the story will reveal all aspects of Lanchester activity from 1931-1956 and onwards to the present day and into the future. As the story unfolds, the previously unpublished research will surprise and delight even the most familiar reader.
"On the offside are the horizontal carburettor, the manifolds held by brass nuts, the air-cooled dynamo with a belt drive common to the combined fan and impeller and the steering box which has worm and double roller gear.
The main Parish church is now known as All Saints but was once called St. Mary the Virgin. The original building dates from the mid 12th Century but was extended in 1284 by Antony Bek, the bishop of Durham. The tower dates from c.1430. Features of interest include the Norman chancel arch, the monolithic columns of the nave (presumably from the Lanchester Roman station) and a Roman altar in the porch.
An open-air sculpture, the Lanchester Car Monument, in the Bloomsbury Heartlands area of Birmingham, designed by Tim Tolkien, on the site where Lanchester built their first four-wheel petrol car in 1895.
Post war, a ten-horsepower car was reintroduced with the 1287 cc LD10 which didn't have a Daimler equivalent and the four-cylinder 1950 Fourteen / Leda. The very last model, of which only prototypes were produced, was called the Sprite.
SOLD 1928 Lanchester 21hp Landaulette This splendid example of a 1928 Lanchester 21hp 3,300cc Landaulette with original coachwork by Hooper has been in the present owner’s hands since 1988 and has seen use as a prestigious wedding car. It is generally in very original, unspoilt condition; sound and with good mechanics, offering an exceptionally pleasant[…]
Stone from the fort was used in the construction of All Saints' Church, which has a Roman altar (one of many found in or near the fort) which was found near the fort in 1893 in its porch.
The usual Daimler transmission with fluid flywheel and pre-selective 4-speed epicyclic gearbox was provided. Hardy Spicer open propeller shaft with needle roller universal joint and hypoid bevel rear axle linked the engine and rear wheels.