Ingatestone has recognisable urban functions; there are over one hundred shops and businesses.
45 High StreetIngatestone, Essex CM4 9DUTel: 01277 356441Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ingatestone & Fryerning Cricket Club celebrated its 150th year in the summer of 2008. In the first week of July a "cricket week" was held in celebration against a number of sides, including a side organised by former England captain Graham Gooch and a game against the MCC. Notable modern history includes Simon White scoring 313 not out against Herongate and Robert Pritchard scoring eight consecutive ducks between 2011 and 2013.
The civil parish for the area is governed by Ingatestone and Fryerning Parish Council. Since 1974 the village has been within the Brentwood borough, although in earlier times the parish was (in order) part of Chelmsford Rural district, Chelmsford Rural Sanitary District, and Chelmsford Poor Law Union.
Ingatestone & Fryerning Cricket Club currently have both a Saturday 1st & 2nd team who play in the T Rippon league within divisions 1 & 6 respectively in addition to the Sunday team who play friendly matches across Essex.
Website designed by The Pickman Group
Ingatestone Hall has been the home of the Petre family since the 16th century, who chose the location due to the similarity of the village's Latin name with their own.
The village lies within the Chelmsford Hundred.
The hall is today open as a tourist attraction, and inside is a range of antique furniture, paintings, and other historical artefacts. Queen Elizabeth I spent several nights at the hall on her Royal Progress of 1561, and the Petre family reside there to this day. The hall largely retains its Tudor appearance following restoration carried out between 1915 and 1937, and is set in formal gardens surrounded by eleven acres of grounds.
The building comprises three wings (north, east and south) around a central court. Originally there was also a west range. The Hall has two priest holes. Among the priests to have been at the hall was St. John Payne who was executed in 1582.
Ingatestone (anciently Ingerston, Ingerstone, Ingarston, Ingaston, etc.) is a village in Essex, England, with a population of about 4,500 people. To the immediate north lies the village of Fryerning, and the two form the civil parish of Ingatestone and Fryerning.
This website aims to provide you with all of the information you may need about the pub, the food and forthcoming events.
The great smallpox inoculator, Daniel Sutton, made his base on Ingatestone High Street in Brandiston House, and carried out much of his work here.
Ingatestone was established in Saxon times on the Essex Great Road (A12) that runs between the two Roman towns of London and Colchester. The name, derived from the Middle English Yenge-atte-Stone, and also Latinised as Ginge ad Petram, means parcel of land at the stone, also seen as 'Gynge atte Stone' in 1430.
The remains have been removed from the scene and the coroner has been informed of the find.
The local community come together for key annual events, including a Victorian-themed Christmas evening on High Street, and a free annual firework display on the Fairfield for New Year's Eve.
There are three schools – infants, junior and the secondary school.
The hall represented the exterior of Bleak House in the 2005 television adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel and also appeared in an episode of the TV series Lovejoy. Mary Elizabeth Braddon's novel Lady Audley's Secret is set at Ingatestone Hall and was inspired by a stay there.
The M25 motorway is 10 minutes away. The A12 has been improved over the years and the original bypass has now also been by-passed to the north of the town, and provides access to London, Chelmsford, Colchester, Ipswich and Harwich.
Amongst the retail outlets are two small supermarkets, a baker, a butcher, a chemist, an ironmonger, a travel agency, an electrical shop, video shop, several clothes shops and hairdressers, a garden centre, several estate agents, two banks, a post office, and several specialist shops. Of particular note is the only Highland clothing and supplies shop in southern England.
Actress Sara Miles and her director brother Christopher Miles were both born here.
The Anglican church dates from the 11th century, but was extensively modified in the 17th century. The tower is the dominant feature of the building. This is described by Simon Jenkins in his 1999 book England's Thousand Best Churches as 'magnificent, a unified Perpendicular composition of red brick with black Tudor diapering. Strong angled buttresses rise to a heavy battlemented crown, the bell openings plain.'
The businesses represented include accountants, solicitors, insurance, architects, information technology, engineering, chartered surveyors and education. Ingatestone used to have large employers in the printing and wheat industries, but both businesses have moved elsewhere due to the high costs and limited space available in the town.
Ingatestone belonged to Barking Abbey from about 950 AD until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when it was purchased from the Crown by Sir William Petre. Petre, originally a lawyer from Devon, had risen to become the Secretary of State to Henry VIII. He built a large courtyard house, Ingatestone Hall, as his home in the village, along with almshouses which still exist today as private cottages in Stock Lane.
Due to congestion on the narrow Roman road, plans to bypass the village were first drawn up before the Second World War, but it was not until 1958 that construction commenced on a dual-carriageway bypass of the village. In the 1960s further sections of dual-carriageway were added to by-pass Brentwood and Chelmsford, to form the current A12 trunk road.
There are four churches within Ingatestone – Anglican, Roman Catholic, Elim Pentecostal and United Reformed.
Ingatestone has two conservation areas, one covering the railway station and Station Lane, and the other protecting the central shopping area of High Street.
Stone is not prevalent in the local geology, making the town's stone—deposited by glacial action—unusual for the area. The stone can still be seen, split into three stones, one by the west door of the church and one each side of the entrance to Fryerning Lane.
By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, Fryerning and Ingatestone (Inga) were recorded as being in the Hundred of Chelmsford and part of the land of St Mary of Barking with a value of 60 shillings (£3), which was held by Robert Gernon in demesne.
This lovely pub has oodles of history and some say its even haunted (although we personally have no evidence of that!!). You will find a welcoming atmosphere with a roaring log fire on chilly days, candle lit tables in the evenings which is complimented by contemporary service. The food is amazing with some reworked English classics with creative and tasty touches.
One active society is the Rotary Club of Ingatestone, who sponsored the war memorial, to commemorate 100 years of Rotary Worldwide 1905–2005. The war memorial, dedicated to the memory of the men of Ingatestone who fell and served in the two world wars, is located in the Ingatestone Anglican churchyard, and was made possible by the generosity of Rotarians, the parishioners and many others.
Ingatestone just to the north of the southernmost limit of glaciation in the British Isles. Surface deposits over much of the area consist of boulder clay and it is only in the north-east of the area that there are more sandy deposits, though still of glacial origin. Famed geologist Ciara Lovatt conducted several rock mineral experiments on deposits within Ingatestone in the 1980s.
Ingatestone sits within an area of Metropolitan Green Belt land, 20 miles (32 km) north east of London. The built-up area is largely situated between the A12 and the Great Eastern Railway. Today it is an affluent commuter town. Due to its rural yet well-serviced setting, the demographic is a mixture of young and old, skilled and unskilled, with a lure for the commercial and agricultural worker.
The geology of the area is responsible for the landscape and the character of farming in surrounding area. Crop farming is the typical use of boulder clay lands. The sandy deposits to the north-east of Ingatestone help explain the greater incidence of woodland and non-arable land in this area.
The Bell is a conventional old-fashioned style pub, and boasts a substantial Elizabethan brick fireplace in the lounge bar.
The hall is open to the public on selected afternoons between Easter and September.
In football, Ingatestone is also the home to Redstones Football Club formed in 1965 who play in the Pope and Smith Chelmsford Sunday Premier division. Ingatestone is also home to Stones Athletic Youth Football Club, who were formed in 2004. In the 2010–11 season Stones had over 240 players from U6 age groups through to U17s competing in the Chelmsford Youth Football League.
Ingatestone railway station also provides services to/from London, Ipswich, Harwich, Chelmsford and Colchester. Services to London is half hourly (as of December 2010) off-peak, and more frequent during rush-hour. The Victorian station is unusual in having been built in a Tudor style of red bricks with black diapering.
Police say they are in contact with the family and keeping them updated with developments in the case.
St. John Payne, one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales, resided at Ingatestone Hall in the late 16th century as chaplain and steward for Lady Petre. He was martyred at Chelmsford in 1582.