The "Jack Lane, Hunslet, Leeds" works was closed in 1995, the last order being a batch of narrow gauge diesel locomotives for tunnelling on the Jubilee Line Extension of the London Underground.
The brewers Joshua Tetley and Son set up business in Hunslet in 1822 producing beer and bitter today as part of Carlsberg Tetley group. However, in 2011 the brewery closed.
We are dedicated to providing development for young people through physical and mental activities that help them reach their full potential. With a membership of over 2,500 from across South Leeds, including Hunslet, Belle Isle, Middleton, Holbeck and Beeston.
Please take a few minutes to look at our video which gives an overview of what products and services LH Group can provide.
In 1871, James Campbell bought the company for £25,000 (payable in five installments over two years) and the firm remained in the Campbell family ownership for many years. Between 1865 and 1870, production had averaged less than ten engines per year, but in 1871 this had risen to seventeen and was set to rise over the next thirty years to a modest maximum of thirty-four.
28th October 2016 Join us for our Spooktacular evening of fun
The Hunslet Engine Company, is now part of the LH Group of Companies. The company owns the right to the names and designs of a number of former British locomotive manufacturers including Andrew Barclay, Avonside Engine Company, North British Locomotive Company, Greenwood and Batley, Hudswell Clarke, John Fowler & Co., Kerr Stuart, Kitson & Co., and Manning Wardle – it also maintains, and supplies spare parts for these brands.
About this time Hunslet was building a series of 2-6-2 tank locomotives for the Sierra Leone Government Railway design elements of which were included in the construction of the famous Russell a 1 ft 11 1⁄2 in (597 mm) gauge engine built for the Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway.
If you are aged between 8 and 12 years old and want to hang out with friends, make some new ones or just have loads of fun then our Youth Club is the place to be! The activities on offer...
The population of Hunslet grew rapidly in the first half of the 19th century becoming an important manufacturing centre. Several large mills were built for spinning of flax including Hunslet Mill, and there were chemical works, works for the manufacture of crown and flint glass, extensive potteries for coarse earthenware and the Leeds Pottery.
The company also operates a locomotive hire business, (including a British Rail Class 08 shunter acquired in 2006), mainly of industrial shunting locomotives.
Locomotive construction resumed after the war. Important in post-war production was the Hunslet flame-proof diesel engine for use in the coal mines, as well as further batches of Austerity shunters for the National Coal Board and the Army, and rebuilding of some older Austerities; work which continued into the early 1960s. The last three Austerities were sold in 1970; one directly to preservation, one for scrap and one to the NCB.
If you love the music and love to dance our sessions incorporate hip hop moves and grooves into exciting sequences and routines. Develop your own dynamic style and improve your strength, agility and movement precision. It’s a great way to...
Demolition of the complex started in 1983, less than fifteen years after the first tenants moved in, to be replaced with low-rise council housing, which was completed in the late 1980s.
The first Hunslet engine built for export was their No. 10, an 0-4-0ST shipped via Hull and Rotterdam to Java. By 1902, Hunslet had supplied engines to over thirty countries worldwide, often opening up new markets. In Ireland, Hunslet supplied engines to several of the newly opened narrow gauge lines and also in 1887 built the three unorthodox engines for the Lartigue Monorail system used by the Listowel & Ballybunion Railway.
The Hunslet Engine Company was founded in 1864 in Hunslet, Leeds, England. The company manufactured steam-powered shunting locomotives for over 100 years, and currently manufactures diesel-engined shunting locomotives.
Hunslet had many engineering companies based in the district, such as John Fowler & Co. manufacturers of traction engines and steam rollers, the Hunslet Engine Company builders of locomotives (including those used during the construction of the Channel Tunnel), as well as engineering firms Kitson & Co., Manning Wardle and Hudswell Clarke. Many railway locomotives were built in the Jack Lane area of Hunslet.
Specific areas of our group business can be viewed in the tab “Product Films” at the top of the home page.
Official local authority website for Leeds providing information on local services.
In 2004 the company was acquired by the LH Group – production was moved to Barton under Needwood; whilst other operations remained in Leeds.
Local transport information: The library is on the local bus routes. Please contact Metroline for up-to-date travel information on (0113) 245 7676
Our Breakdance sessions are delivered by two pro break-dancers Beanz and RawGina. Join them for fun, high energy sessions and learn some foundation moves and tricks. Everyone is welcome to join in regardless of previous experience. At our Beginners...
If you fancy your chances of being the next Adele or Bruno Mars then get yourself along to our contemporary singing group sessions Coached by professional vocalist Marc Gunjal, our sessions provide the perfect opportunity to improve your singing skills,...
In 2007 Hunslet began developing a new family of locomotives ranging from shunters to vehicles weighing up to 100 tons. The first locomotive of the new class, the DH60C, a 3 axle C diesel hydraulic shunting locomotive, was unveiled in July 2010.
In 1823 forty working men from Hunslet raised the sum of £1.5s.1d which they sent to the radical publisher Richard Carlile who was serving a prison sentence in Dorchester jail for the publications in which he exposed the reactionary policies of the government of Lord Liverpool. The subscription was accompanied by a noble letter written by one of the contributors, William Tillotson.
John Alcock, who, following in his father's footsteps, became Managing Director of Hunslet in 1958, recalled his father telling him circa 1920, when he was still a schoolboy, that his main endeavour for the company would be in the application of the internal combustion engine to railway locomotion. Throughout the 1930s Hunslet worked on the perfecting of the diesel locomotive.
Hunslet Engine Co locomotives can been seen operating on heritage railways across Britain including:
A chapel dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, was built in 1636, and enlarged in 1774. It was a brick structure with a tower. It was enlarged by subscription in 1826. The present church is the third on the site. The Victorian church, of which the spire remains, is the tallest in Leeds, was built in 1864 and the present building was built in the 1970s.
In 2006 the company manufactured remote-controlled diesel electric shunters for John M. Henderson & Co. Ltd. to be supplied to POSCO's coking plant in South Korea. The same year saw the completion of several orders for underground and mining diesel locomotives.
The last industrial steam engine built in Britain was built at Hunslet in 1971 for export to Trangkil sugar mill in Central Java, Indonesia.[note 2]
Leeds Hunslet Lane railway station was located on the Hallam Line. It opened in 1840, but in 1846 the Midland Railway replaced it with Leeds Wellington station, and Hunslet Lane became a goods depot, which closed in 1972.
Incorporating elements of classic, modern and jazz dance styles our contemporary sessions continue to grow in popularity since their introduction in January 2016. Contemporary dance draws on both classical ballet and modern dance techniques and often involves narrative forms of...
The M621 and A61, two major roads, pass through the area, providing convenient access to the whole of Yorkshire and access the M62 to Manchester and Hull. The motorway was completed in 1971, and isolated a large part of Hunslet Moor.
Variation in our standard opening hours - where these occur due to bank holidays etc, these will be shown in 'Documents'.
Hunslet-Barclay was acquired by the Hunslet group in 1972, it chiefly undertook maintenance and refurbishment of diesel multiple unit passenger trains at the Andrew Barclay Caledonia Works in Kilmarnock. In 2003 the LH Group acquired the locomotive interests of the company. In October 2007 Hunslet-Barclay went into receivership and in November was purchased by FKI (the owner of Brush Traction) and renamed Brush-Barclay.
During World War IBy 1914, Britain was at war and overseas orders had dried up, the company, like many others, found itself employing women on the shop floor and engaged in the manufacture of munitions. It continued to produce limited numbers of locomotives, significant examples being lightweight narrow gauge 4-6-0T designs for the War Department Light Railways.
8th October 2016 The Senior Rugby League 1st team have reached the final of the Conference Trophy, the highest knockout competition for amateur...Read More
Hunslet is also the home of Voluntary Action Leeds, the Council for Voluntary Service in Leeds. Which provides direct support services and specialist advice to Third Sector organisations across Leeds.
The Hunslet Steam Co. is part of the LH Group. The company is involved in new build steam locomotives (including two Quarry Hunslet 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotives), boiler making and locomotive maintenance.
The first engine built in 1865 was Linden, a standard gauge 0-6-0 saddle tank delivered to Brassey and Ballard, a railway civil engineering contractor as were several of the firm's early customers. Other customers included collieries. This basic standard gauge shunting and short haul 'industrial' engine was to be the main-stay of Hunslet production for many years.