In autumn 2011 there was a large landslip on the North Cliff and the coastal footpath had to be diverted.
The first recorded mention of Hayle proper is in 1265 but it would seem even then the settlement was little more than a few dwellings and scattered farms.
Hayle surrounds a beautiful estuary on the edge of St Ives Bay in West Cornwall. Archaeological excavations of Greek and Roman pottery suggest it was an important trading port for tin thousands of years ago and during the industrial revolution copper smelting flourished in the town, the importance of which saw the town’s harbour and townscape being granted World Heritage Site status in 2006.
Hayle was initially a coal importing and ore exporting port but Hayle was initially dwarfed by nearby Angarrack, where a tin smelter was built in 1704 and mills and stamps converted/constructed to process the ore. Hayle's role was simply to serve as a convenient point to land coal from South Wales, which was then taken to Angarrack by mule. In 1710 a copper and tin smelter was built at Mellanear Farm on the Mellanear stream which prospered for many years
The Log Cabin, Hayle. You Chill Holidays
1910 saw the opening of Hayle Power Station on Harvey's Towans. It was coal-fired and the coal was supplied by ship from South Wales until the station was closed in 1977. At the same time Hayle Harbour was also closed to commercial shipping, although a locally important fishing fleet, specialising mainly in shellfish remained.
Hayle's position by the sea and its 3 miles of golden sandy beaches allowed it to develop as a holiday destination. Indeed, Hayle still has much holiday accommodation. The sand dunes or Towans are the favoured location for a number of holiday villages and caravan and camping sites. The Gwithian beach near Godrevy is not only picturesque but it is also a favoured area for water-related sports including surfing, windsurfing and body-boarding.
In those times the estuary looked a lot different from that of today. It appears that estuary was deeper and it was possible for boats to go up the River Hayle as far as where St. Erth Bridge is now situated; the tide used to flow in and out of what is now Foundry Square in the town, and at Gwithian reached inland some considerable distance toward Connor Downs.
Although the Romans never fully conquered Cornwall they did, perhaps, have a presence in the Hayle Estuary, and it is thought that the rectangular churchyard at St. Uny's Church, Lelant on the western shore of the estuary is built within the outline of a Roman fort.
Despite being situated in front of the popular village of Marazion and having ample parking and amenities the beach never really gets that busy. Mostly sand with a few pebbly patches, Marazion beach is an ideal family beach…
Great beach for the family with lots of sand and rock pools for the children.
The beach guide has 16 beaches listed in and around the town of Hayle.
To the west lie 3 miles of golden sands and, with a constant breeze off the Atlantic, the area is well-known for its surfing and wind sailing. Hayle’s wide estuary, managed by the RSPB and the UK’s most south westerly, is an important stopping off point for migratory birds.
The stretch of Hayle sands end at Godrevy Point where Godrevey lighthouse stands on an island about 50 metres out to sea. The point and car park are owned by the National Trust.
The remains of Wheal Dream tin mine overlook this quiet, sandy beach. Situated between the harbour and Porthgwidden beach, Bamaluz often goes un-noticed by the majority of visitors. The beach itself is fairly sheltered from…
Hayle parish was created in 1888 from part of the now defunct Phillack parish, with which it was later combined in 1935, and incorporated part of St Erth in 1937. The modern parish shares boundaries with St Ives to the west, St Erth to the south, Gwinear and Gwithian in the east, and is bounded to the north by the Celtic Sea.
We will use the starred location to give you relevant local information across the BBC.
Porthmeor is arguably St Ives’ premier beach and as such one of Cornwall’s finest. The beach consists of a long stretch of golden sand overlooked by numerous artists’ studios and the Tate Gallery. Porthmeor…
The first documentary evidence of any settlements around the Hayle Estuary is in 1130 when Phillack Church and surrounding dwellings were recorded as "Egloshayle", meaning the church (eglos) on the estuary (heyl), with the church being dedicated originally to St Felec (as appears in a 10th-century Vatican codex), from where it is believed the name Phillack was derived. At some point in the 17th century, Felec (a male) was mistaken for Saint Felicitas of Rome (a female).
Where to stay in Hayle Things to do in Hayle Bed and Breakfasts in Hayle Caravan and campsites in HayleBeaches in HayleMap of Hayle
Following the crescent of the beach brings you to the first lifeguard patrolled beach - Hayle Towans. Slightly more sheltered from the Atlantic waves and nearly 2 miles long it offers plenty of room for the whole family.
Next is Gwithian, popular with both locals and holiday makers. This is one of the most popular surfing beaches in the area and holds a decent sized swell. Beneath the sands lie the remains of one of Cornwall’s oldest churches. The village of Gwithian is an attractive cluster of cottages and church on the winding coastal road between Hayle and Portreath.
Large sheltered sandy beach suitable for families with plenty of facilities close by. The beach is protected both by it's aspect and the large tree covered cliffs - a rarity on the North Cornish Coast. At lower tides it…
Trevassack Manor is a house of the 17th to 18th century; there is a datestone of 1700. Bodriggy House is of granite, ca. 1710.
How's the weather where you are? Join the nation's favourite conversation.
The northen-most tip of Hayle's '3 miles of golden sand' and probably the most dramatic. Owing to it's position Godrevy takes the brunt of the Atlantic swell and is one of the more exposed beaches of the North coast. It…
Situated on the opposite side of St Ives Bay, Hayle is famed for its three miles of golden sand. The beaches start at the mouth of the estuary, which is regarded as an international quality bird-watching spot. Sightings include avocets, ospreys and a host of wading birds. The roadside verges in this area are good places in which to find wild orchids.
Hayle was the first town in Cornwall to be awarded "Walkers Are Welcome" status which means the footpaths and trails around the town are well maintained and well-marked and with plenty of rugged countryside around, it’s an ideal place to pull on your hiking boots.
Edit your location and get relevant local information across the BBC.
Hayle (Cornish: Heyl, lit. "estuary") is a small town, civil parish and cargo port in west Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is situated at the mouth of the Hayle River (which discharges into St Ives Bay) and is approximately seven miles (11 km) northeast of Penzance.
This expanse of beach is what makes up most of Hayle's '3 miles of golden sand'. At low tide all the Hayle beaches join up to provide an impressive stretch of sand popular with sand yachts and kite buggies. Despite being…
Part of the long stretch of sandy beaches backed by sand dunes at Hayle.
The oddly named Lambeth Walk beach is easily overlooked, despite being almost in the town centre of St Ives. Part of the reason is it doesn't really exist at high tide. At low tide things are different - the beach joins…
The name is a bit of give away here. Part harbour, part beach St Ives harbour beach offers the best of both. A sheltered sandy beach with plenty going on both in the working harbour and the town behind. There is sand here…
For a better experience on your device, try our mobile site.
Large sheltered sandy beach with all facilities one would expect on a Blue Flag beach. Much more sheltered than St Ives' other main beach Porthemeor making it ideal for families.
Hayle railway station is close to Foundry Square, at the east end of the viaduct. It is also linked to the harbour area along a footpath that used to be the branch railway line serving the quays. It is served by First Great Western and CrossCountry with local services to Plymouth and services to destinations including London Paddington, Manchester Piccadilly and beyond.
The church of St Elwyn was built in 1886-88 to the design of J. D. Sedding. According to Pevsner it is "loud outside ... and dull inside".
National Express run 3 daily services from Hayle stopping at Foundry Square and Copperhouse, they are:
Hayle town is divided into two districts, Copperhouse and Foundry. Both these names reflect Hayle's industrial heritage which dates back to the time when the Phoenicians traded for tin over 2000 years ago. Even earlier, during the Iron Age, Hayle was on the major route to St Michael’s Mount.