Gainsborough Trinity Football Club are proud to be associated with Hope & Homes for Children.
Non-conformism flourished in Gainsborough. Some of the Mayflower Pilgrims worshipped in secret at the Old Hall before sailing for Holland to find religious freedom in 1609. The John Robinson Memorial Church in Church Street was dedicated in 1897; the cornerstone had been laid by Thomas F. Bayard, U.S. Ambassador. Now the United Reformed Church it was named in honour of John Robinson (1576 – 1625), the pastor of the "Pilgrim Fathers" before they left on the Mayflower.
We use Advertising agencies to provide us with some of the advertising on our websites. These include (but are not limited to) Specific Media, The Rubicon Project, AdJug, AdConion, Context Web. Please click on the provider name to visit their opt-out page.
Keep up to date with all the latest local news on your iPhone or Android phone with our mobile site.
Weddings - something old, something new Read more…
By the side of the east bank of the Trent near the railway bridge is a large mill owned by Kerry Ingredients (headquartered in Tralee).
In July 1958, BP discovered oil at Corringham, then at Gainsborough in January 1959.
In 2011, Gainsborough's portrait of Miss Read (Mrs Frances Villebois) was sold by Michael Pearson, 4th Viscount Cowdray, for a record price of £6.5M. She was a matrilineal descendant of Cecily Neville, Duchess of York, and the mitochondrial DNA descent through which the remains of Richard III of England were identified in 2013, passes through her and her daughter Harriet.
We really appreciate you taking the time to send your content...if it complements our coverage we may use it online or in the paper.
The Lindsey Survey of 1115-18 records that Gainsborough was then held by Nele d’Aubigny (known as Nigel the Black). He was the forebear of the Mowbray family, and the Mowbray interest in Gainsborough continued until at least the end of the 14th Century.
By registering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of the website.
The artist spent his childhood at what is now Gainsborough's House, on Gainsborough Street (he later resided there, following the death of his father in 1749). The original building still survives and is now a dedicated House to his life and art.
He was born in Sudbury, Suffolk, the youngest son of John Gainsborough, a weaver and maker of woollen goods, and his wife, the sister of the Reverend Humphry Burroughs. One of Gainsborough's brothers, Humphrey, had a faculty for mechanics and was said to have invented the method of condensing steam in a separate vessel, which was of great service to James Watt; another brother, John, was known as Scheming Jack because of his passion for designing curiosities.
Dominic Roma reviews the defeat to Altrincham as his side bow out of the FA Cup in the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. Match played on Saturday 17th September 2016.
The Sands venue, located in Gainsborough's 1908 town hall, is a jazz club which seats 200 people.
Beside Riverside Walk are the Whitton's Mill flats, which won the Royal Town Planning Institute award for the East Midlands. Marshall's Yard also received an award for regeneration.
ComScore monitor and externally verify our site traffic data for use within the advertising industry. Any data collected is anonymous statistical data and cannot be traced back to an individual.
Hi, I’m Henry VIII, one of the most famous people to have visited the Old Hall. Join me on a tour of this website and see what you can find out about Gainsborough Old Hall.
Gainsborough Old Hall is over 500 years old and is one of the best preserved timber framed manor houses in the UK.
Gainsborough Trinity FC, The Gainsborough Martin & Co Arena, DN21 2QW. Get Directions.
Parliament captured Gainsborough again on 18 December 1643, but was forced to withdraw in March 1644, razing the town's defences to prevent their use by the enemy. The Earl of Manchester’s army passed through Gainsborough in May 1644 on its way to York and the Battle of Marston Moor.
In 868 King Alfred married Ealswitha, daughter of Aethelred Mucill, chief of the Gaini, whence the town gets its name.
An officer of the 4th Regiment of Foot (c. 1776–1780)
Web Design and SEO by Web Design Studios| Gainsborough Trinity FC © 2015|About|Contact
Visit this website on your mobile to start enjoying it on the move.
Explore Gainsborough Old Hall’s many stunning architectural features and find out why it is a hidden historical gem of Lincolnshire.
The town has links with the John Leggott Sixth Form College in Scunthorpe, North Lindsey College, and Lincoln College which has a branch at Gainsborough College on Acland Street, focussing on vocational education.
Another local business is the firm of Eminox, founded in 1978. They started by building replacement exhausts for the local bus company. They have expanded into a manufacturing company that specialises in the large stainless steel exhaust systems fitted to buses and commercial vehicles. They are also building low-emission catalytic systems for the London low emission zone.
In 1784, royal painter Allan Ramsay died and the King was obliged to give the job to Gainsborough's rival and Academy president, Joshua Reynolds. Gainsborough remained the Royal Family's favorite painter, however. At his own express wish, he was buried at St. Anne's Church, Kew, where the Family regularly worshipped.
On the night of 28–29 April 1942 a single Dornier 217 dropped a stick of bombs on the town centre, causing extensive damage and the loss of seven lives.
The town was formerly, before 1974, in the county of Lindsey in the Gainsborough Urban District Council. West Lindsey District Council was formed from five former councils.
Gainsborough Old Hall is renowned for it’s education programme and holds the Sandford Award for Education. Read more...
The medieval Church of All Saints fell into disrepair after the Civil War, and in 1736 it was demolished to make way for a new church. The new Parish Church was completed in 1748 with a mix of perpendicular Gothic and Classical Revival styles. All that remains of the Medieval church is the west tower, 90 feet high, and housing eight bells. A monument to Richard Rollett, master sailmaker on Captain James Cook's second voyage in 1824, is located in the porch.
The town is home to Gainsborough Trinity F.C., a semi-professional football club playing in the National League North, the sixth level of English football. During a brief spell at the start of the 20th century, the club was professional and a member of the Football League.
View the results from this weeks Gainsborough Trinity Bonus Ball Bingo draw. Don't already enter our draw? Help raise funds for Gainsborough Trinity and be in with a chance of winning a guaranteed £1000 prize! Find our more in our bonus ball bingo section.
We didn't recognise that password reset code. Enter your email address to get a new one.
In 1780, he painted the portraits of King George III and his queen and afterwards received many royal commissions. This gave him some influence with the Academy and allowed him to dictate the manner in which he wished his work to be exhibited. However, in 1783, he removed his paintings from the forthcoming exhibition and transferred them to Schomberg House.
Winning, losing, drawing and losing to an injury time goal. Following Trinity you are certainly on a rollercoaster of a ride, every game! A defeat to Altrincham as the Trinity side bow out of the FA Cup in the Second Qualifying Round. Match played on Saturday 17th September 2016.
The first recorded evidence of a church at Gainsborough is in 1180, when the rectory there was granted by Roger de Talebu to the great Preceptory of the Knights Templar in Lindsey, at Willoughton. In 1547, following the Protestant Reformation, the parish of Gainsborough came under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lincoln for the first time.
He died of cancer on 2 August 1788 at the age of 61 and is interred at St. Anne's Church, Kew, Surrey (located on Kew Green). He is buried next to Francis Bauer, the famous botanical illustrator. As of 2011, an appeal is underway to pay the costs of restoration of his tomb. A street in Kew, Gainsborough Road, is also named after him.