When you enter Finedon, take the third exit off the roundabout onto the A510
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 22nd June at 7.00pm. All are welcome to attend the meeting. At the beginning of the meeting there is an opportunity for residents to ask questions or raise any issues. Please click on the agenda below for more information.
At the introduction of modern Local Government by the Local Government Act 1894, Finedon was designated an Urban District, with an Urban District Council. In 1935 the Finedon Urban District was abolished, and Finedon became part of the Wellingborough Urban District. In 1983, Finedon Parish Council was established, and it currently has thirteen members.
Scrub in the quarry is cut back to maintain the grassland. Large trees and patches of scrub are left to provide feeding and nesting sites for birds. The ponds also need management so they do not become completely over hung by trees.
Access is also available from St Mary's Avenue and Harrowden Lane (no parking facilities are available at these two points).
If you need to contact our store regarding stock levels, directions, or any other information, do not hesitate to contact us on 01933 680 608
The Finedon Obelisk is a monument erected in 1789 to record the blessings of the year by Sir John English Dolben, the fourth and last of the Dolben Baronets and Lord of the Manor of Finedon. The blessings are thought to include the return to sanity of George III. The 23 April 1789 was appointed a day of thanksgiving to commemorate the event, which in Finedon was celebrated with bell ringing, fireworks and the firing of cannon.
There is no secondary school in Finedon, so pupils are required to travel outside of the town to continue their education after leaving the Junior school. Huxlow Science College in Irthlingborough accommodates the large majority of these pupils, with the provision of a free bus pass. It is not uncommon however for some to attend Latimer Arts College in Barton Seagrave or Bishop Stopford School in Kettering.
Finedon is a civil parish and town in the Borough of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, with a population at the 2011 census of 4,309 people. In 1086 when the Domesday Book was completed, Finedon (then known as Tingdene) was a large royal manor, previously held by Queen Edith.
Take the fourth right turn onto Bell Hill which leads to Station Road
Wooded areas along the railway cutting are thinned to create glades to encourage ground flora. The removed wood is used to create habitat piles to encourage invertebrates.
J&S Accessories Ltd Factory Outlet in Finedon Use the directions below to find us: Take junction 10 to the A6 Finedon/Wellingborough
Access to the park can be found via Station Road and Avenue Road (next to the cricket club).
Parish Council Meeting Dates for 2015 The dates for 2015 up to May are now on the website under Meetings
J&S Accessories 230 Station Road, Finedon, Northamptonshire NN9 5NT 01933 680608 Fax: 01933 681297
Froglife is restoring the large pond within Finedon Pocket Park. The pond is becoming encroached with scrub around the margins of the pond. This means the pond is now thoroughly shaded in areas and consequently losing its value to amphibians and other wildlife. The removal will allow more sunlight to reach the pond and promote a diverse range of aquatic vegetation. The work is going to be carried out during the first week of October 2015. For more information click on the links below
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 7th September at 7.00pm. All are welcome to attend the meeting. At the beginning of the meeting there is an opportunity for residents to ask questions or raise any issues. Please click on the agenda below for more information.
The obelisk is located in a small enclosure next to the A6 and A510 roundabout.
From 1939 until 1946 ironstone was extracted from the quarry at Finedon and transported via a railway line to the main line at Wellingborough.
The 2013/2014 Waste Collection Calendar is now available and includes Christmas Collection times CLICK HERE for details.
Finedon Parish Council has a vacancy for a Parish Councillor that may be filled by Co-option. If you are interested in becoming a Councillor you can apply in writing to the Clerk of the Council.
The following consultation has been published by NCC and is regarding school admission arrangements for September 2016 (over subscription criteria and published admission numbers). The consultation period is from 1st December 2014 to 6th February 2015. Northamptonshire County Council’s School Admissions Team is leading a formal consultation of admission arrangements for 2016. This will effect mainstream schools within Northamptonshire.
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 22nd July 2015 at 7.00pm at the Town Hall Berry Green Road. All are welcome to attend.
Notice is given that an election of a Parish Councillor for Finedon and a Borough Councillor for Finedon will be held on 29th September 2016. For more details Click on the links below.
Finedon is served by two primary schools, the Finedon Infant School for children aged 4 to 7, and the Finedon Mulso Church of England Junior school for ages 7 to 11. The two schools became federated in 2011 and are now operated as one school with one headteacher. Supervisory childcare is available both before and after conventional school hours by the Apple Tree Club, located next to the Infant School.
Car parking for up to 50 cars. Bike parking available as well.
Rather than filling in the railway cutting and quarry and returning it to agricultural land, the people of Finedon campaigned to retain it as an important wildlife area. In 1984, it was designated the first Pocket Park in the country. The heritage of the park as a quarry led to it earning its local name "The Pits".
We are based on a nice country road, but also locally there are: Wellingborough Embankment, Irchester Country Park, Northampton Billing Aquadrome, Kettering Wickstead Park and Stanwick Lakes.
Budget for 2015/2016 The Parish Council has agreed the budget and Precept for 2015/2016. To see the information please click on the link below. Budget 2015/2016
In 1086 when the Domesday Book was completed, Finedon was a large royal manor, previously held by Queen Edith. At this time the village was known as Tingdene, which originates from the Old English words þing meaning assembly or meeting and Denu meaning valley or vale. Tingdene and the later version, Thingdon, were used until the early nineteenth century until finally Finedon became the commonly accepted version, both in written format as well as in pronunciation.
From 1939 until 1946 iron ore was extracted from the quarry at Finedon and transported via a railway line to the main line at Wellingborough.
Pre-school and early years' education for ages 2 and up is catered for by St Michael's playgroup, rated "Good" by Ofsted in July 2014.
Finedon, much like the rest of the British Isles, experiences an oceanic climate and as such does not endure extreme temperatures and benefits from fairly evenly spread rainfall throughout the year.
Finedon was formerly home to the Volta Tower, a folly built in 1865 by William Harcourt Isham Mackworth-Dolben of Finedon Hall. It was built to commemorate the death of his eldest son, Lieutenant Commander William Digby Dolben, who drowned off the west coast of Africa on 1 September 1863, aged 24. The building stood for 86 years before collapsing in 1951, killing one of its residents.
Sign up to receive the latest news and events from the County Council
The Water Tower has since been converted into a private residence and in 1973, gained Grade II listed status. It stands as a local landmark beside the A6 on the southern entrance into Finedon.
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, is a mid-14th-century church with an aisled and cloistered nave of four bays. The current parish priest is Rev Richard Coles, former member of pop group The Communards.
Old coppiced lime trees estimated to be over three hundred years as well as yews of considerable age are to be found alongside the labyrinth of trails that cross the site.
Rather than filling in the railway cutting and quarry and returning it to agricultural land, the people of Finedon campaigned to retain it as an important wildlife area. In 1984, this was the first Pocket Park in the country.
We are half a mile along Station Road on the right hand side