Come and visit us in our new office in the Pump House Faringdon. You will find reception and the Information Centre located on the ground floor.
Latest newsletter Welcome from our Headteacher We are proud to be one of the top performing secondary schools in the county, consistently improving our examination results and striving for the highest standards. Latest GCSE results
We decided to stay here as it was a central location to Kelmscott, Buscot Park and Lechlade.
This website is designed and managed by www.cotswolds.info
The schools Attainment 8 was 5.46 -equivalent to an average of a high C grade for every student.
js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.4";
Featuring free WiFi and a restaurant, Bell Hotel Faringdon offers pet-friendly accommodation in Faringdon, 15.5 miles from Oxford. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar.
During WW2 the horse was covered so that it could not be used as a landmark by enemy planes. It was uncovered in 1952 by W F Grimes and local labourers. Grimes was a keen archaeologist and took the opportunity to dig a small trench through the 'beak' and record the cross section. Before filling the pit a halfpenny was left at the base. It was the rediscovery of Grimes' papers which revealed that the horse was three dimensional and could be excavated.
24th September 6th Form trip to Monte Casino (until 1st October)
Oxfordshire County Councillor Judith Heathcoat, who represents the Faringdon Division, holds monthly surgeries on the 1st Saturday of each month. One will take place on 3rd September from 10am to [...]
All rooms are fitted with a TV. You will find a kettle in the room.
The Pye family had Scots pines planted around the summit, around the time that Faringdon House was rebuilt in the late 18th century. This is a conspicuous and recognisable landmark that can be seen from afar, including from the Vale of White Horse, White Horse Hill, the Berkshire Downs near Lockinge and the Cotswolds to the north.
The 17th century Town Hall remains the focal point of the town, surrounded by Georgian-fronted inns and shops of the market-place. The Market Hall has had an unusual past. It was built some time in the 17th century. Since then it has been used as a meeting room, whipping post, jail, place to store the fire engine, ambulance station and a library!
The civil parish is formally called Great Faringdon, to distinguish it from Little Faringdon in West Oxfordshire. The 2011 Census recorded its population as 7,121.
The horse has survived by being regularly cleaned (scoured) by local villagers. The Lord of the Manor was obliged to provide food and entertainment for 'scourers' and this developed into the 'Pastimes'. These were huge two day events with thousands of people attending, - food and drink stalls, sideshows, musicians, were provided and games took place for which people would travel from neighbouring counties
12th October Year 13 trip to Uganda (until 25th October)
The town was granted a weekly market in 1218, and as a result came to be called Chipping Faringdon. The weekly market is still held today. King John also established an abbey in Faringdon in 1202, (probably on the site of Portwell House) but it soon moved to Beaulieu in Hampshire. In 1417 the aged Archbishop of Dublin, Thomas Cranley, died in Faringdon while journeying to London.
The Anglo-Saxon kings of Wessex located a palace here and Faringdon is recorded in the Domesday Book. A weekly market was granted in 1218 and these continue to take place on Tuesdays in the central market-place, overlooked by the 17th century elevated market hall.
Our English Literature results were in the top percentile nationally and Chemistry and Mathematics were in the top 10% for performance nationally.
A short stroll from central Faringdon are open fields and a network of footpaths and eight themed walks to nearby villages of Radcot, Pusey, Buckland, Wicklesham, Fernham, Great Coxwell Badbury Hill and Thrupp. Two of England's national trails - the Thames Path and the Ridgeway – are accessible within a short ride / drive.
The Church of England parish church of All Saints may date from the 12th century, and the clerestorey and possibly the west end of the nave survive from this period. A Norman doorway survives, although not in its original position, in the baptistery. The chancel and north transept are 13th century and the west chapel is 14th century. The north chapel is a late mediaeval Perpendicular Gothic addition with 15th century windows.
29th September Year 10 Parents’ KS4 Information Evening (6pm)
Cheltenham is 26.7 miles from Bell Hotel Faringdon, while Reading is 29.8 miles from the property. The nearest airport is Southampton Airport, 49.7 miles from the property.
The school's Progress 8 score is +0.32 with pupils performing better than the national average across their best eight GCSEs.
The Old Town Hall (formerly the Market Hall) in the Market Place dates from the late 17th or early 18th century and is a Grade II* listed building.
Small 14th Century family run, friendly hotel in the idyllic town of Faringdon, lots of quirky features, old beams and uneven floors add to its character. Large restaurant with an extensive menu and family friendly room as well as our 8 en suite rooms.
The house was bought in 1787 by William Hallett Esq. It was the home of Lord Berners in the middle part of the 20th century. It currently belongs to the writer Sofka Zinovieff, the granddaughter of Berners' friend, Robert Heber-Percy, who inherited it in on Berners' death in 1950, though she does not live there.
Faringdon is linked with Swindon and Oxford by the half-hourly 66 bus service run by Stagecoach in Swindon. Faringdon is linked with Wantage by the regular 67 bus service operated by Thames Travel. The journey takes about 30 minutes and serves villages between the two towns. A service to Wantage is also provided by the Stanford in the Vale Community Bus.
15th September 6th Form Parent Information Evening (6pm-7.45pm)
Folly ParkIs an area of natural open space with a small fishing lake, picnic and park benches.The gravel track surrounds the lake and winds slightly uphill to an exit leading onto the Nursery View estate. From here you can walk out to the Stanford road and on to Folly Hill.
International professional wrestler Mark Haskins, who fights as the "Star Attraction", lives in Faringdon.
Some people also think that energy forces within the earth meet at the horse's eye where they flow out like a fountain, and that sitting on the eye enables you to absorb this energy.
21st and 22nd November Year 8 trip to Gloucester Mosque
Your Town Council are guided by the following principles:
The toponym "Faringdon" means "fern covered hill". Claims that King Edward the Elder died there are incorrect.
Notice is hereby given of a Tuckers Recreation Ground Trust Meeting on Monday 19th September 2016. Tuckers Rec Agenda 0916 Tuckers Rec Mins 0516
The Oxford Archaeological Unit digs in the early 1990's confirmed that the shape and position of the horse had changed little, and that it was approximately three thousand years old.
There is a manor house and estate, close to the edge of Faringdon, called Faringdon House. The original house was damaged during the civil war. Its owner at the time, Sir Robert Pye, who was a Royalist, was put under siege by his own son Robert who was a Parliamentarian colonel. Building of the current, smaller, house began about 1780 and was not completed until after 1785.
We are proud of the achievements of all our students who gained these results through hard work, committed staff and supportive parents.