I am the Neighbourhood Policing Area Commander for East Leicester, which encompasses, the Belgrave, Latimer, Rushey Mead, Charnwood, Humberstone and Hamilton, Coleman, Evington, Stoneygate, Thurncourt and Spinney Hills wards of the city.
Backing on to Evington Park, the Evington home is about three miles from Leicester city centre. It is a pleasant, level walk from Evington village which has shops, libraries and other facilities.
Evington is connected to other parts of Leicester by the following bus services:
The Evington Home Grocot Road Evington, Leicester LE5 6AB
To find out more about what's happening in your local area read your local station Inspector's monthly update.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Secondary schools: City of Leicester College, St Paul's Catholic School, Judgemeadow Community College.
Primary schools: Linden Primary School, Whitehall Primary School, Oaklands (Special School), Coleman Primary School.
The Church of England church of St Denys has been the parish church for almost 800 years, having been dedicated on 9 October 1219 by the Bishop of Lincoln. It is a Grade II* listed building. The tower and spire are original: the South and North Aisles date from the 14th century, and the Chancel from the 19th century. Its rare ring of 4 bells was augmented to six following an appeal in the late 1980s. The interior includes 3 stained glass windows from 1870.
View our picture gallery to get a taste of all that Evington village has to offer.
Evington is home to the Leicestershire Golf Club, on the south of the village, and west of the arboretum.
Evington Hall is a Grade II listed building (built about 1840) which in the past was a convent school, then part of Leicester Junior Grammar School, but is now part of a Hindu faith school which opened in September 2011.
Visit Leicester Centre, 51 Gallowtree Gate, Leicester, LE1 5AD. Tel: 0116 299 4444. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful sources of information about visiting Evington and further reading for those interested in the history of the area.
Evington park is some 44 acres (0.18 km2) of public parkland, opened in 1948, formerly the estate of Evington House (built 1836) which is used as offices and some public amenities. It contains many mature trees, including a Mulberry dating from about the same time as the house. There are public exercise machines as well as tennis courts, football and cricket pitches and bowling greens.
A History of the County of Leicester: Volume 4, the City of Leicester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1958.
This is a Baptist Chapel on the corner of Main Street and High Street, by Evington Village Green. It is an 1837 Gothic style with slate roof, being a Grade II listed building.
Rowlatts Hill is a council estate established on a hillside to the north of Leicester General Hospital in 1964–67 by the City Architect Stephen George with two 22-story blocks of flats and single or two-storey houses of grey brick. A later development (1973–77) is of red brick houses. For council housing purposes it is considered separate from Evington.
This charity is an unincorporated charitable trust. Registered Charity number: 242266. It was set up by young Christians in 1807. The terms of its founding require residents to be Protestant Christians.
Until the twentieth century Evington had derived its existence primarily from farming and its associated industries. However, improvements in public transport, the availability of land and the inclusion of the village within the boundary of the City of Leicester during the 1920s and 1930s were the catalysts for Evington's transformation into its present role as a residential suburb of Leicester.
The origins of settlement at Evington can be traced back more than 1000 years to Anglo Saxon times, when the village would have been known as Aefa’s Tun – the settlement of Aefa’s people. The village is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, where Hugh de Grentemesnil is listed as the principal landowner in Avintone; de Grentemesnil used the land as a deer park.
This neighbourhood covers Evington village, Evington Park, Leicestershire Golf Club and three secondary schools. There is a good selection of retail outlets in the area and Goodwood includes several places of worship for local residents. In addition the Leicester General Hospital is a major landmark that is within this ward.
There is also a general purpose room which is used for hairdressing, chiropody, etc.
This was established as a public amenity in 1970 and consists of an area south of St Denys Church, bounded on the west by a golf course, with more than 500 trees largely planted in taxonimic groups. In the northmost area, many individual trees are planted by arrangement with the council as memorials to people who have died.
Evington is an Electoral ward and administrative division of the city of Leicester, England. It used to be a small village centred on Main Street and the Anglican church of St Denys but was close enough to Leicester to become one of the outer suburbs in the 1930s. Today, the ward comprises the historical village of Evington, as well as the modern ex-council estates of Rowlatts Hill and Goodwood. The population of the ward at the 2011 census was 11,133.
In the main home, there is a spacious communal lounge and large dining room on the ground floor and an upstairs lounge with a library.
This recently refurbished care home is on the same campus as the Pilgrim Gardens retirement living apartments.
Evington has two main shopping centres: the first largely based in a modern development near the old village and including the local library, and the second towards the northern end of Downing Drive. Public houses include the Cedars in the old village and the Dove in Downing Drive. The Village Hall is a brick building on Church Lane, opposite St Denys: its foundation stone calls it King George V Hall and is dated MDCDXII (1912).
This charity is registered in the UK as a company limited by guarantee (number 03027071) and a registered charity number 1045920. It was set up in order to extend the high quality of Christian care offered by PFS to people of all faiths and none.
Chief Superintendent Andy Lee is the Commander for the Local Policing Directorate (LPD) which covers the eight Neighbourhood Policing Areas (NPAs) across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
In 1935, the boundaries of Leicester (by this point a city), were expanded again, including nearly all of the remaining parish of Evington, except for a small part which went to Oadby. The modern ward does include the large 1950s development based at Downing Drive and Spencefield Lane.
The Evington Echo is the community newspaper. It is produced by volunteers and is delivered free of charge to 5,800 houses in the area. It was first published in 1981 and the current (2013) editor is Helen Pettman.
This is Scheduled monument (SM17026), often known as 'Piggy's Hollow', consisting of the remains of the moats of a manor house built in the late 13th century by John de Grey. It is on the north side of the Arboretum and adjacent to St Denys Church on the west.
The largest employer in the area is the Leicester General hospital, located near Goodwood on Coleman Road which is south of Uppingham Road (the A47).
Goodwood is a 1950s council estate considered together with Evington for council housing purposes. It is just under 1000 residences.
Read the latest Evington news and comments from the Leicester Mercury.
Consultation with the community has identified the following priorities that we will be concentrating on over the coming months:
The village has been owned by many people, including Simon de Montfort in the thirteenth century, until owner Thomas Powys Keck sold his estate after the First World War to the Co-operative Wholesale Society. In 1936 the civil parish of Evington was dissolved and most of it transferred to Leicester.
We enjoy showing visitors around the home, but request that if this is the purpose of your visit you call us first to arrange a suitable time. This allows us to allocate a member of staff to answer your questions.
Customise how you view our website using the options below.