The A595 bypasses Egremont, which gives strong links to Sellafield to the south and to the north, Whitehaven and Workington.
PE letters must be returned to class teachers by Friday 16th September.
Specialises in Travel, Retail & Leisure, and Infrastructure & Utilities.
Opening Times Monday to Friday – 8:00am – 6:30pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Bus services 6 and X6 link Egremont to Seascale, Gosforth and towns south of Egremont. There are many other bus services that link to Whitehaven and Workington (30, 30A, 22 and 22A).
In bygone days, dyeing and weaving were traditional industries based around the River Ehen.
Thank you for your generous contributions! We have raised £1342 to buy equipment for lunchtime play.
In 1950, Rowntrees built a chocolate crumb factory near Christie Bridge and the nuclear industry became established at Sellafield. The Rowntrees site has become a new housing estate, York Place, which is located at the northern end of Main Street.
Experienced across all of Egremont's service offers, Andy has a particular interest in Business Transformation, Enlightened Leadership and Integrated Processes
It has an active public and community arts programme, called Creative Egremont. The town is home to Florence Arts Centre, based at the nearby Florence Mine (now disused), which has a programme of live events - gigs, theatre and stand-up comedy - and an art gallery. There is a studio on-site for the Florence Paintmakers, a co-operative of artists who use the local iron ore pigment to make oil and watercolour paints, pastels and other art materials.
Skiing, reading about architecture, visiting interesting buildings and galleries, trying out new restaurants
Contact Information Beech House Surgery St Bridget’s Lane Egremont Cumbria CA22 2BD
In 1748, another bridge was built at Briscoe Mill at a cost of £28-15s-0d, paid for by John Pearson, a local hatter. Soon Egremont began to service the Port of Whitehaven and in 1830, iron ore was mined over several sites.
The town's layout today is much the same as at the time of Richard de Lucy around 1200 with its wide Main Street opening out into the market place. The remains of the Norman castle, built in the 12th century, are situated at the southern end of Main Street near the market place.
In 1565, a stone bridge was built over the River Ehen to access the town, which was now smaller because of frequent Scottish raids. Little changed for a century, until new stone buildings appeared on the Main Street, probably built with stone from the castle. In 1683, Edward Benn and his heirs were given land with the provision that they rebuild the stone bridge and maintain it for ever.
Experienced in Business Transformation, Integrated Processes and Organisation Design and Development
Richard, otherwise known as Fitz, is a chartered accountant with a special interest in businesses undergoing rapid growth and development. Before joining Egremont, he was involved in three business start-ups.
Around the early 17th century, agricultural lime was mined at Clints Quarry, with more heavy duty mining being undertaken to supply the iron and ore industry in the mid 19th century, finally ending in 1930. Clints Quarry (now a Site of Special Scientific Interest) can be found just north of Egremont town.
Experienced across all of Egremont's service offers, with a particular interest in Business Transformation, Enlightened Leadership and Organisation Design and Development
Walking slowly, lateness, being in the city for too long.
Specialises in Infrastructure & Utilities, Financial Services, Retail & Leisure and Manufacturing.
Good food and beer, fast cars, yoga and travel to far and distant places.
Trying to keep the beer belly under control, working as a trustee of Transparency International or relaxing with the Economist & a glass of wine.
Egremont formerly had a railway station on the Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway, but it closed in 1947.
Egremont also has a dedicated town freesheet, published by Egremont & District Labour Party and delivered to thousands of addresses in the town several times a year. The paper is financed by the Copeland Constituency Labour Party, and its treasurer is David Southward MBE. 
Experienced across all of Egremont's service offers, James has a particular interest in Business Transformation, Integrated Processes and Enlightened Leadership
‘When I was a Lad’ by Colin Telfer. Dedicated to the children of Egremont.
Motorbikes, rugby, football, sailing, folk music and great cake.
We are having a coffee afternoon for parents on the 26th September at 2pm. Free entry and donations for treats. :) https://t.co/2wCwkJYPgf
Struggling in the gym, cycling up hills, or skiing down them.
Egremont's Florence Mine was (until 2008) the last working deep iron ore mine left in Western Europe and produced ore, products for the cosmetics industry and high quality haematite for jewellery. Florence Mine can be found just south of Egremont.
On 2 June 2010, the area became the centre of a search after a gunman ran amok in Cumbria. Derrick Bird, a 52-year-old local driver, shot and killed twelve people, two of them in Egremont, before committing suicide.
Egremont's Crab Fair is held on the third Saturday in September annually, and features unusual events – such as the world-famous 'gurning' and greasy pole climbing. This fair is a major local event, with the town's high street being closed to normal traffic for street dancing and a parade, while sports such as Cumberland & Westmorland Wrestling are held on ground nearby. The fair's origins go back to 1267, and it is claimed to be one of the oldest fairs in the world.  
Around 1205, the tale of Grunwilda was told; she was the wife of Richard de Lucy and was killed by a wolf on a hunting trip; this tale is recounted in the poem "The Woeful Chase". Again leaving no male heir, Richard died and the superstition began that no male heir should inherit Egremont Castle because of the conduct of the forefathers. Egremont was granted its royal charter by Henry III in 1267.
Egremont has a castle, several churches, two supermarkets and a market selling a variety of goods held every Friday.
The estates passed down to Annabel's son Richard de Lucy. Richard's two daughters married two brothers of the de Multon family, Alice (now called de Morville) married Alan de Multon and Annabel (also now called de Morville) married Lambert de Multon. Annabel and Lambert de Multon inherited the Barony of Copeland and again, the castle had a lord in residence.
Manufacturing industries have declined but service, new media and tourism industries have taken their place.
Be sure to follow our @EPSCrazyQuavers to receive weekly updates about our Choir!
Iron ore mining and quarrying has been established in Egremont for more than 800 years. Industrial mining of iron ore started around 1830 with many mines being opened, and continues to this day.
In Pembrokeshire, baking for charity lunches, reading with kids.