Accessibility All internal and external public areas accessible.
In 2001 there were 5,464 people aged 16 to 74 of whom 3,665 were economically active and employed, 1,556 were economically inactive and 131 economically inactive but unemployed. Figures in 2001 on ethnic composition for Mid Devon as a whole were: White British 97.57%, White other 1.24% and White Irish 0.4% and for religious composition 75.40% Christian, 15.98% no religion.
The central window of the North Aisle is a World War II memorial and a World War I memorial is on the other side. Moores Chantry (the last bay of the North Aisle) contains some original box pews and at the rear of the church are two large pieces of oak which make up a Golgotha which once rested on top of the Rood Screen. They are carved with rocks, skulls and bones. They were probably removed from the church in 1549 and cut into 2 pieces. For many years they remained in the graveyard.
Clyst Hydon Newsletter 15th July 2016 Clyst Hydon Newsletter 20th July... [Read Article]
The upper floors of the house, the inner garden and car park will be leased to the Vivat Trust for holiday lettings. The trust will retain the three rooms adjoining the path from Fore Street for public use. These comprise a meeting room, a kitchen and a lavatory. Additionally, the Trust plans to convert the garden which stretches back to Shortlands Lane into a park for the people of the town.
Headlines: Magnificent achievement! 73% GCSE 5 A* - C including English and Maths. Well done everyone! Read more
It is part of the Tiverton and Honiton constituency and its MP in 2012 was Neil Parish. It was formerly part of the Northern Parliamentary Division of Devon (1831–67), the North Division (1867–85), the North Eastern Division (1885–1918) and the Honiton Division.
The Cullompton street market came to an end in the late 1950s but it was revived for a trial period of seven weeks starting on Saturday 28 June 2008. Although in the initial few weeks trading was good, overall takings for the traders were disappointing. The town also has an indoor market in the town hall every Wednesday
There is a hearing loop at the counter.
St Andrew's Church - photograph and brief history.
Transcript of the will of Elizabeth Elworthy (1857), provided by Ros Dunning.
The 1, 1A and 1B buses run by Stagecoach provide regular bus services to Tiverton and Exeter. There is also a town circular bus run by Dartline, and an express bus run by First Somerset & Avon which runs from Exeter to Taunton and stops at Cullompton.
Cullompton - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Luxtons cabinet makers was founded in 1800 and grew until it employed 50 people, with workshops at Cockpit Hill and Duke Street. After World War I a retail shop was opened by the firm in Fore Street and it kept going doing retailing and repairs until the mid-1960s.
Devon FHS Library holds copies of St Andrews Parish magazine for 1896/7, 1899, 1901.
We are proud and delighted that an inspection by Ofsted in January 2013 confirmed Cullompton Community College to be a ‘good school.’ This follows hugely successful outcomes in GCSE examinations showing year on year improvement.
Photographs and description of the Parish Church, provided by Richard A. Derrick.
We fully recommend these modern open-source browsers → Firefox or Chrome
Cullompton's Neighbourhood Plan is well underway. It is a Plan for the future, prepared by the people of Cullompton. Details of the Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group's progress to-date can be found here.
Conservation Area Appraisal for Cullompton - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
The local football team is Cullompton Rangers who were formed in 1945 and play in Premier Division of the South West Peninsula League. Their ground is called Speeds Meadow. There was also a women's football team – Cullompton Rangers L.F.C. who were formed when Exeter City L.F.C. amalgamated with Cullompton Rangers AFC but in 2011 the women's team folded when the manager was forced to leave and a replacement could not be found.
Address:The HayridgeDevon CentreExeter HillCullomptonDevon EX15 1DJ
The Bilbie family were also involved in clock making. In 1749 Thomas Biblie (senior) was asked to make a set of chimes for Cullompton church. Thomas II worked on clock mechanisms to play tunes on church bells at East Coker and also at Beaminster. Thomas Castleman is recorded as having made a clock for Cullompton Church in 1811 at a cost of £55.
Coming or going to the West Country, Extra’s Service Area provides everything travellers and their vehicles could need. Within the Amenity Building there is a popular line up of food and retail outlets, comprising McDonald’s, Costa Coffee, WH Smith, Warrens Bakery, Top Gift together with high quality washroom and WC facilities.
The wills of Henry Cruwys (1760) and Jane Cruwys (1765), transcribed by Debbie Kennett.
The members' area of the Devon FHS website makes available online images, not at present (Jan 2016) available elsewhere, of the Parish Registers covering Cullompton Baptisms: 1884-1915, Banns: 1910-1915, Burials: 1879-1915, Marriages: 1906-1915.
Finding Cullompton's History, by David Pugsley - a very useful summary of published accounts.
Welcome to Cullompton Community College, a caring, friendly and high achieving community of approximately 550 students aged 11-16.
The Cullompton Town Council Web-site provides local, historical, and much other information.
The town has an annual Christmas parade to celebrate the switching on of the town's Christmas lights and a festival week in the summer which includes the annual town fayre (formerly known as the Cullompton Town Picnic and Classic Car Show).
Cullompton (/ˈkʌləmptən/) is a town and civil parish in the district of Mid Devon and the county of Devon, England, locally known as Cully. It is 13 miles (21 km) miles north-east of Exeter and lies on the River Culm. In 2011 the parish as a whole had a population of 8,499 while the built-up area of the town had a population of 7,439
Cullompton description from Pigot 1844, transcribed by Caroline Tilbury.
From Monday 16th November 2015 opening hours will be extended at The Hayridge using the Open+ system. Open+ enables access to the building and facilities during unstaffed hours using your library card and PIN. If you would like to use the library or meeting rooms out of hours, please see a member of staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. The service is available to people aged 16 and over.
Cullompton burials 1858-2010 are included in DeceasedOnline's database (subscription).
Transcript of the will of Thomas Chancey (1808), held at Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site.
The town got its first permanent library in 1938 in a building on Exeter Hill. In September 2011, a new library opened on a new site, which was four times the size of the old one and cost three million pounds. This was followed shortly afterwards, in December 2011, by the opening of the Cullompton Community Centre, costing 1.5 million pounds. The Tiverton Dramatic Society used the new venue to stage the first pantomime to be performed in Cullompton for 20 years.
Our contact numbers | Tel: 0345 155 1015 | Fax: 0345 155 1003 | SMS: 80011 (please start all messages with the word Devon).
Mutual respect and support between teachers and students help to create positive attitudes to learning throughout the school
From Saxon times it was part of the hundred of Hayridge. From 1894 to 1935 it was part of Tiverton Rural District and prior to that it was part of Tiverton Sanitary District and Tiverton Poor Law Union. It may have been a borough in the 17th century but this status was not sustained.
Cullompton Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (March 1750 - April 1753), Baptisms (July 1754 - December 1777), (January 1778 - December 1797) and (January 1798 - December 1812), and Burials (April 1754 - December 1773), (January 1774 - December 1777), (January 1778 - December 1797) and (January 1798 - December 1812), transcribed by Elizabeth Howard.