Crayford Manor House was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, at the time essentially a farmhouse until it was remodelled in 1816 for the The Rev. Thomas Barne. Historic England state it was built piecemeal over several periods, with a porch and Italianate features being added to the 1816 building.
As one of the most popular tracks in the UK, our matinée races on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are televised across Europe to over 1 million viewers, with Crayford being the largest provider of televised racing to the industry.
According to the 2011 census, 84% of the population is White British.
Nearby Hall Place is a scheduled ancient monument lying between Crayford and Bexley. It has gardens with the River Cray running through and a plant nursery, a cafe and restaurant plus the silkworks shop formerly located in the David Evans factory.
For those considering catered events, there is a fully equipped kitchen which can be used to prepare food and drinks.
Crayford has been entertaining the South of England with Greyhound racing since 1937 and is still going strong today.
Access to Platform 1 via the ticket office side Access to Platform 2 via side road off Station Road
Down trains run eastbound to Dartford, Gravesend and to London Cannon Street via Slade Green, and up trains run westbound to Cannon Street and London Charing Cross via Lewisham. Ticket barriers are in operation.
Until the creation of Greater London in 1965 which was effectively an expansion of the County of London, the character and attributes of the place fell just short of town status in the United Kingdom and it was until shortly before the Second World War little more than an average sized village in Kent with relatively short journeys possible to London and 19th century and early 20th century industrial employment areas such as Dartford and Croydon.
Crayford is now well known for a different theatre (home of the New Theatre Group) and a greyhound racing track. The theatre was named in honour of Geoffrey Whitworth who played a key part in developing a British tradition of amateur drama and in building political support for The Royal National Theatre erected at Waterloo, London after his death. The new Crayford Community Centre, located above the library, is the venue for many groups.
There is even an attractive outdoor terrace available for hire - ideal for the warmer weather.
Contact: Business Support TeamTel: 020 3045 3779Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:Crayford Community Centre
The large Sainsbury's supermarket situated next to stadium was claimed by Sainsburys to be the world first's use of technology which heats the store using natural energy captured through boreholes buried hundreds of metres beneath the ground and was at the time of its expansion (2010) the largest Sainsbury's in England.
Crayford is mentioned in the Domesday Book, which was compiled just prior to 1086, as a settlement within the Hundred of Litlelee with a church, three mills, and a relatively large population of 27 regular householders (villeins) and 2 smallholders. Its overlord was not a private individual or the king but Christ Church, Canterbury.
Crayford-born sportsman Derek Ufton played both cricket and football professionally, for Kent County Cricket Club and Charlton Athletic respectively. Ghost story writer, journalist and broadcaster Algernon Blackwood lived in Crayford Manor House between 1871 and 1880 as a child, and the house features in his work 'A Prisoner in Fairyland' as 'Crayfield Manor House'.
On way in to access trains
The standard off-peak service from the station is:
The Tower Retail Park opposite Crayford Town Hall comprises stores used by Poundland, Boots, the Carphone Warehouse, Currys, Thomson Holiday Hypermarket, Game, Hobbycraft, Next with Costa Coffee, Pets At Home and Sports Direct Superstore, plus eateries run by Nandos and McDonald's. Opposite Tower Retail Park is the electronic and gadget store Maplin Electronics and interior furnishing store Topps Tiles.
Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.
Leisure facilities include "The Bear and Ragged Staff" public house well known as a venue for live pop/rock bands, and Crayford Stadium is one of the three remaining greyhound racing stadia in London, besides Romford Stadium and Wimbledon Stadium.
The footbridge remains the oldest part of the station. The two sidings on the down side remained for many years and were still in use until the mid-1990s. By 2000 the sidings had fallen out of use and were subsequently disconnected, but the sleepers and rails still remain in position.
Crayford station serves the area with services to London Charing Cross via Hither Green, London Cannon Street via both Lewisham and Woolwich Arsenal as part of a loop service, and to Gravesend. Crayford is served by three Transport for London bus services, 96 to Woolwich via Bexleyheath and to Bluewater via Dartford, 428 to Erith and to Bluewater, and 492 to Sidcup via Bexleyheath and to Bluewater.
020 8303 7777 (say 'Libraries' to have your call transferred or select option 4 with your keypad) Fax: 020 3045 3784 Email: email@example.com Map
On behalf of all the students and staff at Haberdashers’ Aske’s Crayford Academy, I would like to extend a warm welcome to our school. There is a very dynamic atmosphere here at the Academy not least because we are an all-through school in the process of extending our provision in both the primary phase and into the Sixth Form. All students are expected to stay within education to the age of 18 and we hope they will stay with the Academy.
176 Town Hall Square Crayford DA1 4FN*
Being staffed may mean there is only staff in the ticket office, who may not always be available to assist - booking is recommended
Information to plan your onward journey is available in a printable format here
Crayford Motors in London Road is a Citroen car dealership. Bexley Garage in Bexley Lane is a family owned motor works.
There are six other pubs in the town centre - 'The Charlotte' in Station Road,'The Duke of Wellington' on London Road, 'The Crayford Arms', 'The Duke's Head' and 'The One Bell' (which footballer Jimmy Bullard bought for his father in 2009), each on or adjoining Crayford High Street, and the latest venue - a micro-pub - The Penny Farthing, on Waterside.
Crayford railway station is in the London Borough of Bexley in south-east London, in Travelcard Zone 6. The station and all trains serving it are operated by Southeastern.
The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement's name.
The station is situated in Lower Station Road.
London Buses route 492 serve the station.
In 2000 the ticket office caught fire and was damaged beyond economical repair. The following year a new building appeared in its place together with palisade fencing alongside the rear of both platforms.
The Crayford Community Centre hall and meeting room are now available to hire for private and public events such as conferences, meetings and public displays, as well as private celebrations, such as wedding receptions and family parties. More information...
Route planning around the station including maps and platforms
Crayford is a town and electoral ward in south-east London, England within the London Borough of Bexley. It lies east of Bexleyheath and north west of Dartford.
Inventors Augustus Applegath (who built Shenstone House), Sir Hiram Maxim (who moved his works to Crayford in 1884 and lived in Stoneyhurst from then until 1889)  and Jack Wall, inventor of the Crayford focuser, which is incorporated into many modern telescopes were also residents.
In 1955 both platforms were lengthened to accommodate ten carriage trains. The goods yard closed in May 1963. In 1968 the station buildings were completely rebuilt using pre-fabricated CLASP structures. The signal box closed in November 1970.
Crayford Community Centre is located above the new library in Town Hall Square (just behind the Town Hall building) and was officially opened in February 2013. This new high quality community facility has a large hall which can be hired for a variety of purposes, including functions, conferences, community group meetings and activities. The hall has a sports floor, making it ideal for keep fit / dance / martial arts classes and other similar activities.