Historian William George Hoskins had little complimentary to say about Coalville in his Shell Guide (1970), aside from remarking that "excellent pork pies" were produced here. However, in recent years, the town has gained a good reputation for a variety of restaurants established on its High Street, among them the 'La Torre' (Italian); 'Imge' (Turkish) and 'Balti Tower' (Indian) restaurants. A food and drink festival was held in the town in November 2013.
The Coalville Amateur Operatic Society was formed in 1919, and has been staging operas, modern musicals and concerts in the Coalville area ever since. The society currently meets for rehearsals on Monday evenings at The Brass House, Albert Road, and on Thursday evenings at The Old Adult School Hall and Theatre on Bridge Road, both venues located near the town centre.
The Cocked Hat was a twentieth-century public house built on the Greenhill Estate. This closed, circa 2000, and has since been demolished. The site is currently undeveloped.
As noted elsewhere, The Emporium Nightclub on Belvoir Road occupies a premises which has been used as a nightclub venue under many different guises over the years. The club closed its doors as 'Emporium' in 2014.
How's the weather where you are? Join the nation's favourite conversation.
Launched in November 2009, Hermitage FM is the community broadcaster for North West Leicestershire. It has a community coffee lounge based in its premises in Memorial Square, open to members of the public daily.
A grey and damp start across central and southeastern England with showers here during the afternoon. Elsewhere dry with brighter spells, though some rain into Northern Ireland and Scotland later.
Coalville Evangelical Church, is an independent church affiliated with the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches, and which can be found on Belvoir Road.
If you are using a commercial vehicle, van or trailer over 4 foot 6 inches in length, you will need a waste permit
St David's (Church of England, founded in 1933) is in a northerly suburb of Coalville. The present building is nearly 30 years later.
Snibston Discovery Museum, was located off Ashby Road and was built on part of the site of the former Snibston Colliery. It featured interactive exhibits, an 0-4-0ST steam locomotive, a fashion gallery and more. The museum focused on technology and design and how it affects everyday life.
For a better experience on your device, try our mobile site.
Breezy, with showers or rain for most on Wednesday, heavy in the north. Sunshine and showers on Thursday. Friday, dry, bright in the south and rain in the north.
The Salvation Army formerly had a purpose-built hall on Gutteridge Street, though due to a decline in its membership this building was recently sold off and is now used by an evangelical free church. A small group of people formerly associated with the Gutteridge Street church now meet for worship on Sunday afternoons at the Saint Wilfred of York Roman Catholic Church in the town.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel building (erected in 1881) still exists on Belvoir Road and is now used as a community resource, known as the Marlene Reid Centre, named in commemoration of Marlene Reid of Whitwick who died in 1986, and whose own disability inspired her to pioneer local voluntary services, also earning her Leicestershire's 'Woman of the Year' award in 1983.
The Railway Hotel on Hotel Street closed its doors in the 1990s and has since been used as a Montessori nursery. A Grade II listed building, this also originally served as the ticket office for the newly opened Leicester and Swannington Railway. In 1846, the landlord was recorded as one Samuel Clifford.
Coalville is one of 14 recycling and household waste sites in Leicestershire
There is also a Pentecostal church on James Street, affiliated with the Elim Pentecostal Churches of Great Britain.
Stephenson College is a modern building beside Thornborough Road. In March 2006 the architects, Pick Everard, received the Leicestershire and Rutland Society of Architects' President's Award for the 'cutting edge' design work on the college, which was completed in 2005.
The Red House is an eighteenth-century coaching inn. The local historian, Denis W. Baker notes that in 1841, a typical miner's budget included a sum to buy three gallons of beer for his family's weekly consumption. Evidence from cases in the local police courts indicates no diminution of this amount by the turn of the century.
The business park which lies adjacent to the pub was formerly an area occupied by the Whitwick Colliery. The Victoria Hotel was opened before 1846
Due to the rapid growth of the town in the 19th century, a mission church known as "All Saints'" was erected on Ashby Road in 1895, on a site given by Messrs T. and J. Jones of Coalville. This was served by the clergy of the parish church.
Coal-mining came to an end in Coalville during the 1980s. Six collieries – Snibston, Desford, Whitwick, Ellistown, South Leicester and Bagworth – closed in and around Coalville in an eight-year period from 1983 to 1991, resulting in about five thousand men being made redundant.[dead link]
The longest serving vicar of Christ Church was the Reverend William Gardner, who held the living for thirty-three years. The east window was installed as a memorial to Gardner, his wife and daughter.
If you are having problems viewing this page correctly, then please try visiting our mobile site.
Dull and misty across eastern parts during the morning with some rain. Drier, brighter conditions further west. Cloud should break later in the east, but with the odd sharp shower. Maximum Temperature 18 °C.
The Davy Lamp was a modern public house, opened in the 1980s on the Agar Nook estate. This closed after only several years and is now occupied by a fish and chip shop.
Election Result for the Division of Coalville – Leicestershire County Council, 4 June 2009 (Taken from Leicestershire County Council Website)
The Coalville Urban District was formed in 1894, and which came to assimilate several outlying villages following local government changes in 1936. The Coalville Urban District was superseded in 1974 by the North West Leicestershire District, which was formed by a merger Ashby de la Zouch Urban District, Ashby Woulds Urban District, Coalville Urban District, Ashby de la Zouch Rural District, Castle Donington Rural District and Ibstock from the Market Bosworth Rural District.
The Discovery Museum closed on 31 July 2015. It was reported that the council had dropped the idea of having a mining heritage museum to replace Snibston and had insisted that there were no long term plans for the site's redevelopment. Demolition of the main hall commenced in March 2016.
The small churchyard contains the grave of Amos Clarke, who, although blind from the age of eight days, was organist at Christ Church for some fifty years. Following his death in 1930, he was buried on the south side of the church as near to the organ as possible – at his own request.
Early 2015, Conservative-controlled Leicestershire County Council announced that the museum would be closed due to its £900,000 annual running cost. The cabinet member for museums, Councillor Richard Blunt, said that it was hoped a smaller mining heritage museum would replace the existing museum. He also asserted that the country park would be preserved and expanded and that the Century Theatre would remain open.
Donington le Heath Manor House Museum is based on a medieval manor house dating back to about 1280 and which was a family home for 700 years. The site was acquired by the local authority in the late twentieth century having fallen into a state of disrepair, and was subsequently redeveloped into a museum. The house is believed to have once been owned by Sir Everard Digby, a member of the group responsible for the Gunpowder Plot of 1605.
The Engine on Belvoir Road was originally known as "The Engineers' Arms" and for many years served as a 'meeting place' for patrons who later proceeded to the town's nightclub next door, before the relaxation of licensing laws.
The Market Hall, housing the town's general market, was constructed in 1975 at a cost of approximately £300,000. According to a contemporary publication, "the construction of the twin hyperbolic paraboloid main roofs is unique". Situated next to the railway line, close to the site of the original station, it has been suggested that the Market Hall would make an ideal modern station should the railway be re-opened to passenger services.
Quarrying, textile and engineering industries, such as railway wagon production, also grew in the town during the 19th century. Stenson is sometimes described as 'the Father of Coalville'.
Overcast with further spells of rain, mainly across more eastern counties with perhaps some heavier rain at times here. Staying relatively mild with light winds. Misty in places, particularly over high ground. Minimum Temperature 13 °C.
The Margaret Street Working Men's Club – as the name suggests – formerly traded in Margaret Street, in the town centre. Following its closure as a licensed premises, the building was taken over by the New Life evangelical church, which is a thriving concern, as evidenced by the presence of its website.
There is a charge to dispose of some types of non-household waste
The Brass House on Albert Road is home to the Desford Colliery Band.