We hold regular events throughout the year including music festivals, Day Out With Thomas and the ever popular Santa Specials.
And why not try Platform One Café, serving delicious breakfasts, light lunches and refreshments.
Bus services to Grimsby, Immingham and nearby villages are operated by Stagecoach Grimsby-Cleethorpes. There is a bus service to Skegness via Louth, which runs once a day on weekends in the summer, provided by Stagecoach Grimsby-Cleethorpes.
A great beach picnic of local fare could include Columbus Stout (from nano-brewery Rowett), Captain Cobbler Sweet Scrumpy from Skidbrooke of Louth, HBB 1874 Ale from Black Horse Brewing, and a packet of Scrubby’s Vegetable Crisps (made in Grimsby). Before Lumley set up shop, his dad warned him he’d never sell a bottle of beer for £3 in Cleethorpes. Turns out his dad was wrong.
The Cleethorpes Leisure Centre was opened in 1983 to eventually replace the bathing pool that was wrecked by storms on 11 January 1978. The leisure centre contains a 33-metre pool, 1.8 metres deep, as well as a water slide and a wave machine. The building also contains a gym and a sports hall. In 2012, major work was carried out to the roof of the building due to water damage.
Cleethorpes Town F.C. play in the NCEL Division One. Their home matches are played at the Bradley Community Stadium. The reserve team play at the Linden Homes Club, Clee Road, Grimsby.
The parish church is St Peter's, built in 1866. Other churches are St Francis of Assisi on Sandringham Road, and Holy Trinity and St Mary's Church in Old Clee, the oldest building (built 950AD) in Grimsby. Christ Church of Cleethorpe, near Machray Place, is also one of the larger parishes.[further explanation needed] St Aidan's Church on the A180 Grimsby Road was administered in the 1950s by John Hurt's father.
A short walk north is the 2016 pier of the year – as voted by the National Piers Society. The Victorian structure was one of the homes of Northern Soul in the 1970s, but was sold by the council in 1981 and after years of strife finally closed in 2011. Restored to splendour last August, it houses a fine-dining restaurant, tearoom and bar.
As with the rest of the British Isles, Cleethorpes experiences a maritime climate with cool summers and mild winters. The average annual rainfall is amongst the lowest in the British Isles.
He is right. Cleethorpes is cleaner, prettier and wealthier than stigma suggests. In the snug terraces of the Sea View Quarter, the message is the same: the town is booming and choice remains key.
Cleethorpes is at the termini of the A180, A16 and A46 roads.
On 22 September 1956 at 3pm a UFO was spotted for more than an hour off the Cleethorpes coast; it was seen by radar at RAF Manby too. It was a large spherical object with a glass appearance. The Lakenheath-Bentwaters incident had happened the month before.
Cleethorpes successfully resisted attempts by Grimsby to absorb it and in 1974 it became the Borough of Cleethorpes within the new county of Humberside. However, when Humberside County Council was abolished in 1996, Cleethorpes Borough Council was joined with Grimsby Borough Council as the unitary authority of North East Lincolnshire. In 2009 North East Lincolnshire Council agreed to market the towns of Grimsby, Immingham and Cleethorpes, under the 'Greater Grimsby' banner.
Cleethorpes is currently part of the parliamentary constituency of the same name, which also includes other towns in the area, including Immingham and Barton-upon-Humber. Prior to 1997, Cleethorpes had been included in the constituencies of Brigg and Cleethorpes, Louth (Lincolnshire) and Grimsby.
Cleethorpes developed as a fishing village. By the time of the 1801 census the population was 284. The 1820s saw the first developments of Cleethorpes as a health holiday resort, with sea-bathing and the taking of medicinal waters becoming fashionable. By 1831 the population had increased to 497.
Whilst there are neolithic and Bronze Age remains in the area, permanent occupation appears to date from the 6th century, when the Danes arrived, with substantial communities appearing only in the 9th century.
The name Cleethorpes is thought to come from joining the words clee, an old word for clay, and thorpes, an Old English/Old Norse word for villages, and is of comparatively modern origin. Before becoming a unified town, Cleethorpes was made up of three small villages, or "thorpes": Itterby, Oole and Thrunscoe, which were part of a wider parish called Clee (centred on Old Clee).
Cleethorpes is a traditional seaside resort with close ties to the nearby town of Grimsby. Miles of sandy beaches and a plethora of amenities and activites, including donkey rides, a paddling pool and a boating lake. Award-winning gardens on the promenade.
There is a Royal National Lifeboat Institution station, which is near the pier and next to the Coastguard on Central Promenade. Plans for a new and larger RNLI station were published in 2014. Cleethorpes Rescue also protect the beach.
Please preview your comment below and click ‘post’ when you’re happy with it.
Two large fortifications, the Humber Forts, are visible in the mouth of the river. On a clear day, the lighthouse situated on Spurn Point can be seen with the naked eye from the North Beach.
As Smith puts it: “Not everyone wants to drink Carling and Stella. Take a gamble – give them something else.” For him and the rest of Cleethorpes, the gamble appears to be paying off.
From Cleethorpes railway station, operated by First TransPennine Express, train services run, via Grimsby, to Barton-upon-Humber (for bus link to Hull), Manchester Airport (South TransPennine) and Newark-on-Trent. The railway station is also served by Northern Rail and East Midlands Trains.
The sea front provides views of shipping traffic entering and leaving the Humber for the ports of Grimsby, Immingham, Hull and Goole. The main shopping area is St Peter's Avenue (B1374).
Sign up to our mailing list for news & special offers
Before you post, we’d like to thank you for joining the debate - we’re glad you’ve chosen to participate and we value your opinions and experiences.
From September 2011, N.E. Lincolnshire SSP was the only remaining School Sports Partnership after government funding cuts.
The town lies on the Greenwich meridian and its average annual rainfall is amongst the lowest in the British Isles.
The resort expanded following the linking of the town by railway with the industrial towns of Yorkshire. Cleethorpes Pier opened in 1873 and the promenade in 1885. Cleethorpes with Thrunscoe was constituted a Local Board of Health District in 1873, and under the Local Government Act of 1894 it became an urban district.
Secondary schools in Cleethorpes include Cleethorpes Academy and Holy Family Catholic Academy.
North East Lincolnshire Council has three Council Wards within the area of Cleethorpes.
Cleethorpes has a large boating lake with many varieties of ducks, swans and geese. To the south of the resort near Humberston is a yacht club.
Established in 1948, the award-winning Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway has been delighting old and young alike for generations.
Cleethorpes is a seaside resort on the estuary of the Humber in North East Lincolnshire, England with a population of nearly 40,000 in 2011. It has been permanently occupied since the 6th century, with fishing as a primary industry, while developing as a resort since the 19th century.
The manor of Itterby was purchased in 1616 by the trustees of Peter Blundell's charity for the benefit of scholars and fellows at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge from Blundell's School, Tiverton. This is reflected in many of the street and park names in the area.
KEY: (L) = Labour Party (C) = Conservative Party (U) = UKIP
The Greenwich meridian passes through the town and a signpost shows some distances in miles. North Pole 2,517 miles (4,051 kilometres), South Pole 9,919 mi (15,963 km), New York City 3,481 mi (5,602 km), London 143 mi (230 km).
Sit back and enjoy a 4 mile return journey along the Humberside coast on one of Britain’s oldest seaside miniature railways.
Since 1945, the members of parliament for Cleethorpes have been as follows:
Shopping facilities have been augmented with a 2-floor Tesco Extra, expanded in 2007.