Cholsey is a village and large civil parish two miles (3 km) south of Wallingford, in South Oxfordshire. In 1974 it was transferred from Berkshire to the county of Oxfordshire, and from Wallingford Rural District to the district of South Oxfordshire.
Writer and poet John Masefield lived in the parish, for several years during World War I, as tenant of Lollingdon Farm, at the foot of the Berkshire Downs. He was Poet Laureate from 1936 to his death in 1967 and is most famous for a series of poems and sonnets entitled Lollingdon Downs and his poem Sea-Fever, which is most often heard set to music by John Ireland.
Fair Mile Hospital, a former lunatic asylum, originally opened near Cholsey in 1870 and closed in 2003. Its Victorian buildings were converted to housing between 2011 and 2014, whilst portions of the site were given over to newly built accommodation.
A Bronze Age site has been found beside the River Thames at Whitecross Farm in the northeast of the parish. A pre-Roman road, the Icknield Way, crosses the River Thames at Cholsey.
Shelter with space for 10 cycles. Please note cycles can be carried on our trains free of charge
Step free access to ticket office but not to platforms.
The station was also the junction for a branch line or bunk line to Wallingford, which the heritage Cholsey and Wallingford Railway now operates on Bank Holidays and some weekends.
We welcome in the name of Jesus Christ anyone who wishes to join us, whether it is to worship, or find out more about the Christian faith or to find peace, comfort, encouragement or purpose in life. Our deepest desire is that Jesus may be known, in our own lives, in our local community and in the wider world. Please come and join us at any of our services or other groups or activities
St. Mary’s Church, Cholsey is a lively and friendly village church.
COPA–Cholsey Older Persons Advice 13/9/2016First Steps Forward Learning Hub -from 14 September 13/9/2016Cholsey Village Volunteer? 13/9/2016Autumn Community Litter Pick – 1 October from 9am 13/9/2016Brunch Club starts 4th October (for the mature residents) 13/9/2016
Air Port Link, Please change at Reading for Heathrow and Gatwick links and Bristol Temple Meads for Bristol Airport. Changes at Hayes for the Heathrow connect service.
Parking in forecourt area and car park to east of station.
View Larger Map(for other options, e.g. Aerial view or Ordnance Survey map)
Information to plan your onward journey is available in a printable format here
Cholsey is served by Cholsey railway station, a calling point for First Great Western stopping services on the Great Western Main Line between Reading and Didcot.
Route planning around the station including maps and platforms
A royal nunnery, Cholsey Abbey, was founded in the village in 986 by Queen Dowager Ælfthryth on land given by her son, King Ethelred the Unready. The nunnery is thought to have been destroyed by invading Danes in 1006 when they camped in Cholsey after setting nearby Wallingford ablaze. However, Saxon masonry still survives in the Church of England parish church of St Mary. Most of this flint and stone church was built in the 12th century.
In the 13th-century a tithe barn was built in the village. It was, at the time, the largest aisled building in the world, being 51 feet (16 m) high, 54 feet (16 m) wide and over 300 feet (91 m) long. It was demolished in 1815.
At front of entrance, to left of station door
P.S. Please click here, if you would like to see our welcome leaflet.
In addition, Cholsey is also served by a bus service operated by Thames Travel.
The village itself was originally founded on an island (Ceol's Isle) in marshy ground close to the Thames. There is evidence that the House of Wessex Royal family owned land in Cholsey in the 6th and 7th centuries. At this time the town was home to a Saint Wilgyth who was venerated locally in the Middle Ages.