Chinnor has direct bus links with Thame, High Wycombe and Princes Risborough railway station on the Chiltern Main Line.
In the 18th century Chinnor had a small number of Anabaptists. In 1732 a private house in Chinnor was licensed for Anabaptist worship, and in 1759 and 1768 six people from Chinnor worshipped at an Anabaptist meeting house in Princes Risborough.
Chinnor is a large village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire about 4 miles (6.4 km) southeast of Thame. The village is a spring line settlement on the Icknield Way below the Chiltern escarpment. Since 1932 the civil parish has included the village of Emmington. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 5,924.
There are records of Chinnor existing in the reign of King Edward the Confessor, when the manor was held by a Saxon royal servant called Lewin. The Domesday Book of 1086 records Lewin as still holding Chinnor, but soon after it was in the hands of a member of the Norman de Vernon family. However, in 1194 Walter de Vernon refused to help Prince John in France and all his lands were confiscated.
In the south aisle is a carved recumbent effigy of a knight of about 1270 or 1300. St Andrew's has also one of the largest collections of monumental brasses in the country. Most are 14th or 15th century but there are also later brasses commemorating a churchwarden (died 1899) and his wife, and two soldiers killed in the First World War.
By 1803 Chinnor had a school of industry that taught lace-making and sewing. In 1815 there were three schools teaching girls to make lace, which became an important local industry (see above). There were four schools for boys but there was no Church of England school until the 1850s.
A twin barrow on Icknield Way has been found to contain the weapons of a Saxon warrior that have been dated to the 6th century. Chinnor's toponym may originally have meant the ora ("slope") of a man called Ceona. In subsequent centuries it was variously spelt Chennore and then Chynor.
Find out what's on in the Parish of Chinnor
Chinnor has a public library, a village hall and a Women's Institute.
The Icknield Way is a pre-Roman road. The site of an Iron Age settlement from perhaps the 4th century BC has been excavated on the Chiltern ridge in the southern part of the parish. Traces of Romano-British occupation have been found both on the same high ground and below on Icknield Way.
Chinnor now also has a community primary school, Mill Lane Community Primary School, that was built in 1974. St Andrew's and Mill Lane Community Primary School are feeder schools to Lord Williams's School in Thame or Icknield Community College in Watlington.
Chinnor is primarily a dormitory village for Thame, High Wycombe, Aylesbury and London. Formerly it had a large cement works, and before that a number of furniture-making artisans.
From November, South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils will only empty green wheelie bins if the recycling in them is loose or in clear sacks. Despite a ....
Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway Station Approach Station Road Chinnor Oxfordshire OX39 4ER
Chinnor has a Cricket Club that used to play in Oxfordshire Cricket Association League Division 9.
Rectory Pavilion Kingsey Road Thame Oxfordshire United Kingdom OX9 3JL View with Google Maps
Be the first to know about new properties matching your search criteria
Chinnor village currently has three public houses: The Crown, The Red Lion and The Wheatsheaf. Former pubs include the Bird in Hand (closed 2000), the Royal Oak (closed 2011), the Kings Head (closed 2012) and the Black Boy (closed 2013). About 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) south of the village at Spriggs Alley in the Chilterns is the Sir Charles Napier Inn gastropub.
The 2011 Census incorporated the figures of Crowell to the south into an output area accordingly used to enlarge the civil parish definition of Chinnor due to Crowells's small population.
The architect Richard Pace designed St Andrew's Rectory, which was built in 1813.
Chinnor has a Non-League football club, Chinnor F.C., that and belongs to Hellenic Football League Division One East and plays its home games at Station Road Playing Fields.
Chinnor has a Silver Band, that was founded in about 1850.
The 1851 Census recorded 268 lace-makers in Chinnor, including labourers' wives and 86 children. Chinnor still has a lace group.
St Andrew's Church of England Primary School Station Road Chinnor Oxfordshire OX39 4PU
St Andrew's parish is now part of the Benefice of Chinnor, Sydenham, Aston Rowant and Crowell.
Chinnor grew most quickly in the 1960s – from a population of 1,961 in the 1951 Census to 4,471 in the 1971 Census. The village was then largely concentrated around the main rectangular street plan of Station Road, Lower Road, High Street and Church Road. The hamlet of Oakley to the southwest was subsumed into the village around this time, when building along Oakley Road and the Mill Lane estate more than doubled the physical size of the village.
Chinnor nestles at the foot of the Chilterns with the Ridgeway long distance path running close by. Included in the parish are the villages of Chinnor and Chinnor Hill, Henton, Wainhill and Emmington. The attractive market town of Thame is only 4 miles away with Princes Risborough 5 miles away and junction 6 of the M40 motorway within easy reach.
At the end of the 16th century Sir George Fermor (see above) enclosed some of the woods in the parish. Attempts to enclose Chinnor's common lands were ruled illegal and reversed in 1761 and 1817. Parliament passed an enclosure act for Chinnor in 1847 but the enclosure award to allocate the land was not implemented until 1854.
Chinnor Cement and Lime Co. was founded in 1908 and became a public company in 1936. It established a quarry in the Chiltern escarpment south of the village and a cement works. By 1975 it employed 160 men and was undergoing expansion to double its capacity. It closed in 1989, its works have been demolished and in 2010–11 the site was redeveloped as a housing estate.
On 18 June 1643 during the English Civil War a Royalist force of 1,800 men led by Prince Rupert arrived from Oxford, overcame the Parliamentarian garrisons at Postcombe and Chinnor and took 120 men prisoner. A pursuing Parliamentarian force intercepted them 7 miles (11 km) away near Chalgrove, but in the resulting Battle of Chalgrove Field the Royalists fought off their pursuers and returned with their prisoners to Oxford.
Jennings immediately re-sold Chinnor to Richard Fermor of Easton Neston, Northamptonshire. In 1607 Fermor's grandson Sir George Fermor and great-grandson Sir Hatton Fermor sold Chinnor to Sir John Dormer, MP for Aylesbury. In 1667 Sir John's grandson Robert Dormer, also MP for Aylesbury, bought the Zouche manor that had been separate since the 13th century (see above).
In the latter part of the 18th century a petition signed by the Rector and 13 tenant farmers complained that Chinnor had such a "multitude" of alehouses that they were "a check to industry and good order". The petition claimed that the Chequers was a house of illfame and called for its licence not to be renewed.
Sign up to our newsletter for all the latest news and events.
Since 1994 Chinnor railway station has been the terminus of the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway heritage railway line. Steam and diesel trains are run on some weekends and bank holidays.
Musician Adam Clayton, bassist of the rock band U2, was born in Chinnor in 1960. Former BBC Television weather presenter Bill Giles lives in the village. Competitive swimmer and Commonwealth Games gold medallist Simon Burnett lived in Chinnor as a child.
View Larger Map(for other options, e.g. Aerial view or Ordnance Survey map)
We are pleased to inform you of progress on the recreation ground and play area for Old Kiln lakes. Taylor Wimpey has now confirmed the delivery of top soil.The ....
Tel: Talking Timetable 01844 353535 or General Enquiries (Daytime 09.00-17.00) 07979 055366, C&PRRA is a Registered Charity, Number 1016237
Chinnor Beer Festival is held annually on August bank holiday at Whites Field off Mill Lane. It raises money for the youth of Chinnor.