Information given for most appropriate forecast location. See FAQs for details
Noah Fury, father of Matthew, said he hit and killed Leonard Gaskin last April - but police didn't believe him
The northern boundary of the parish is the Summerham Brook, and the Semington Brook is the boundary to the west and south.
During the 19th century a dairy centre was the main industry in the village, on a site south of the main street where The Close now lies. In the 1960s the site was sold by the London Dairy Cooperative to Campbell-Gray, a plant hire company.
There is a village hall and a pub, The Well (named the Tipsy Toad until 2009).
The Lambeth Parliamentary Surveys of 1649 state that Bulkington was part of Keevil parish, paying tithes to Holy Trinity of Winchester. The monastery had a manor, a farm, customary rents and a rectorial tithe (xx 1982). Throughout time, Bulkington has had links with local gentry such as the Fitzlans, Earls of Arundel, the Stourton family, Richard Vere, the Earl of Oxford and Thomas Barkesdale (xx 1882) .
St James' is the oldest church in Bulkington, dating to the 12th century. The church was given to the Abbey of Leister after its foundation in 1143. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the church came into the Crown's hands until 1554, when it was passed on and sold numerous times before returning to the Crown's possession by 1662. It has remained in the possession of the Crown since. Records for baptisms and burials begin in 1606 and for marriages in 1683.
The area’s largest industries are wholesale and the retail trade. Following these, there is manufacturing, human health and social work activities, education and construction. Due to the number of commuters, professional and skilled occupations are the most common amongst working residents.
Birmingham Airport lies between Bulkington and Birmingham at only 20 minutes away and provides many flights daily, including international journeys. London is reached in about an hour from either Nuneaton or Coventry rail stations.
The village is served by four churches: the Anglican St James' Parish Church, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Ryton Methodist Church, and Bulkington Congregational Church.
We will use the starred location to give you relevant local information across the BBC.
Application submitted to redevelop site to create 14 new dwellings
The church has eight bells, the earliest of which belongs to the 16th century; these can be heard on Sundays, and during the week when the bell ringers practice.
Nonetheless, ribbon production continued in Bulkington into the middle of the 20th century, though through small factory production rather than as a cottage industry. The last factory, in Arden Road, closed in the early 1950s.
Tell us about it and, if possible, send us a picture.
Once a ribbon weaving hub in the industrial era, the village has become a beautiful residential area with a wide range of shops and amenities and much to explore nearby, such as the University of Warwick in Coventry and the National Space Centre in Leicester.
In 1847 the Trent Valley Line was built near the village, and Bulkington railway station was opened. The station was closed in 1931.
Trading Standards took action against Barry John Knight, from Bulkington, after he was seen selling the items on November 3
Be the first to know about new properties matching your search criteria
Bulkington was a tithing of the ancient parish of Keevil until the 1880s, when it was made a separate civil parish.
Bulkington is a village and a civil parish in Wiltshire, England. The village is about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) west of Devizes and a similar distance southeast of Melksham.
How's the weather where you are? Join the nation's favourite conversation.
The layout of the village suggests two initial focal points, 'The Cross' monument and Christ Church, highlighting a separation between worship and trade in the village.
The 1830s saw a slump in the industry, due in part to the introduction of factory production at Coventry, and competition from cheap imports. However, the 1840s brought another period of growth when many buildings were re-fronted or rebuilt in chequered brick work (characteristic of North Warwickshire buildings of the period).
It is feasible that Thomas Bulkington may have been the donor of the original manor circa 1244 (90 1997) situated opposite the present day church (linked with Manor Farm and the fieldworks behind it), and tithes of Bulkington before he joined the convent. His presence in the area is consolidated as a witness to the transfer of Keevil church to the monastery in 1393 (xlvii 1937; xx1982; xxxii 1902).
Matthew Fury hit Leonard Gaskin on a country lane at night near Bulkington in April last year
The Nuneaton and Bedworth district is a subdivision of the Warwickshire County Council, which is currently Conservative controlled. Bulkington elects a councillor to the county council along with part of Attleborough ward. They are currently represented by John Ross (Conservative).
Bulkington was established as one of Count Meulan’s estates in the 11th century, serving as the largest and central manor area. By 1285, however, the central area moved to Weston-in-Arden, and the Weston Hall manor house, built in the 16th century, is now a well-known hotel in the community. Among Bulkington’s historic old buildings are several old churches, including the Parish Church of St. James.
Speculative private housing development began in the 1930s and by the 1960s surrounded the village with expansive suburban areas. In addition to the greenfield development of the 1960s, much of the village itself was redeveloped. This involved the creation of a shopping precinct in Leicester Street, which was the traditional heart of the village. Additionally, many of the chequered-pattern brick buildings were replaced by typical 1960s suburban houses.
The properties which came top and bottom of the sold price list in July
Throughout the medieval period and until the late 18th century, the principal employment in Bulkington had been agriculture: 100 acres (0.40 km2) of meadowland were recorded in 1086; further, windmills are recorded for Weston and Marston Jabbett, and a water mill in Bramcote. However, in 1766 700 acres (2.8 km2) of common land were enclosed at Ryton, and 4 years later enclosure was applied to the remainder of land in Bulkington, totalling 1,600 acres (6.5 km2).
Summer is here - so have an ice-cold pint at one of our region's most unique pubs...
Keith is the editor of the Coventry Telegraph. He was the Football Editor of the Birmingham Mail before taking over at the Telegraph in February 2015.
Coventry musician Tom Long discusses the band's progress from start to finish
For a better experience on your device, try our mobile site.
At the 2001 census, the Bulkington ward, which includes Bulkington, Weston-in-Arden, Ryton, Marston Jabbett, Bramcote (west), had a total population of 6,303. There were 3,214 females (51.0%) and 3,089 males (49.0%). The largest age groups in the ward were: 45–59 (1,526, 24.2%); 30–44 (1,104, 17.5%); and 65–74 (873, 13.9%).
Evidence of an occupying workforce comes from the study of historical maps by AC archaeology. These indicated two possible house platforms, with other earthworks including a pond, adjacent to a holloway connecting them to Brass Pan Bridge (near the present-day playing field) pre-dating 1773 (88 1995).
The church has held a bi-annual flower festival since 1990.
The early history of Bulkington can be traced to the 11th century where it is mentioned as among the estates of the Count of Meulan, overseen by his sub-tenant Salo. Originally the parish of Bulkington consisted of two 5-hide vills[clarification needed] in the south Bulkington and Barnacle, and in the north Marston, Weston and Bramcote. The first four of these were held by the Count of Meulan.
Celebrate with the most high-brow events our city has to offer as 2016 is heralded in