Brackley, originally also known as Brachelai or Brackele, was held in 1086 by Earl Alberic. After this it passed to the Earl of Leicester, and to the families of De Quincy and Roland.
South of the town is St. James lake, a balancing lake of almost 3 acres (1 ha) created in 1977. Fishing in the lake is managed by a local angling club. The lake is in a 5 acres (2 ha) wildlife park that is open to the public.
Brackley is a town in south Northamptonshire, England. It is about 19 miles (31 km) from Oxford and 22 miles (35 km) from Northampton. Historically a market town based on the wool and lace trade, it was built on the intersecting trade routes between London, Birmingham and the English Midlands and between Cambridge and Oxford. Brackley has connections with Formula 1 as it is close to Silverstone and home to the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team.
* which houses a number of specialist shops selling gifts, clothes, maps, toys and educational games, jewellery and artwork.
Two night package from only £75 per person...Read More
Facilities available per delegate rate or by room hire ...Read More
Brackley used to be known for wool and lace-making.
The Hospital of St. Leonard was a smaller institution, founded to care for lepers. It was ½ mile (800 m) from SS. James and John, apparently on the northern edge of Brackley. It was in existence by 1280. After 1417 it shared the same master as SS. James and John and thereafter there is no separate record of St. Leonard's, so the larger hospital may have taken it over. No buildings of St. Leonard's hospital have survived.
tHANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THE 8TH brackley festival of motorcycling possible... we are looking forward to 2017 already!!!
The Town has a wealth of independent shops which include:
Brackley has three primary schools: Bracken Leas, Southfield Primary Academy, and Brackley Junior School. The town also has Waynflete Infants' School, most of whose pupils progress to Brackley Church of England Junior School. Magdalen College School, Brackley is the secondary school for the town and surrounding villages.
Brackley used the poor house at Culworth until 1834, when Parliament passed the Poor Law Amendment Act and as a result Brackley Poor Law Union was founded. A workhouse for 250 people was built in 1836, southwest of the town on Banbury Road. It was demolished in the 1930s.
Brackley is close to the A43 road, which now bypasses the town, linking it to Towcester and Northampton to the north-east and the M40 motorway to the west. The A422 links it to Banbury and Buckingham.
Brackley is situated in the south west corner of Northamptonshire. It is bypassed by the A43 and sits about halfway between Oxford and Northampton. The town is approximately 15 minutes from junction 10 of the M40 and 25 minutes from junction 15a of the M1. The market towns of Banbury, Bicester and Buckingham are no more than a 20 minute drive away and there is quick and easy access to London and Birmingham from stations at Banbury, Bicester and King's Sutton.
The Crown Hotel has facilities to cater for large functions such as Weddings or Conferences and Meetings. Or you can enjoy a relaxing drink at our Tavern Bar and dine at our restaurant with the best traditional cuisine.
The almshouses were founded in 1633 by Sir Thomas Crewe of Steane. They have one storey plus attic dormers. They were originally six houses but by 1973 they had been converted into four apartments.
In 1602, the metaphysical poet John Donne was elected as Member of Parliament for the constituency of Brackley.
The oldest part of the chapel is the west doorway, which is late Norman. Most of its windows are slightly later, being Early English Gothic lancet windows. The trio of stepped lancets above the west doorway are late 13th century. The Gothic Revival architect Charles Buckeridge restored the chapel in 1869–70.
Waynflete had founded Magdalen College, Oxford in 1458 and Magdalen College School, Oxford in 1480. He made the former hospital part of their property and by 1548 it was Magdalen College School, Brackley. St James' chapel became the school chapel, in which use it remains today. It is the oldest building in Great Britain in continuous use by a school.
To find out how Brackley might develop in the future please read the Brackley Masterplan
The town hall is Georgian, built in 1706 by the 4th Earl of Bridgewater. The ground floor was originally open but has since been enclosed. Market Place and Bridge Street feature number of other early 18th-century houses and inns, mostly of brick and in several cases combining red and blue bricks in a chequer pattern.
The ancient market town of Brackley enjoys all the charm and appeal of the nearby Cotswolds. The sweeping High Street, 18th century town hall and piazza are the focal point for Brackley's many annual festivals, weekly market and monthly farmers' market.
he Crown Hotel is situated right in the heart of the country town of Brackley in Northamptonshire. It's exceelent location is ideal if you are travelling on business or touring Northamptonshire for pleasure. From the hotel you are within easy reach of the M40 motorway and just a short drive from Banbury, Buckingham, Oxford and Northampton.
Brackley Manor House was also a 17th-century Jacobean building that also originally had one storey plus attic dormers. In 1875–78 the Earl of Ellesmere had it rebuilt on a larger scale, in the same style but retaining only the doorway and one window of the original building. It is now Winchester House School, a coeducational preparatory school for children aged from 3–13. It used to be a Woodard School.
In 1597 the town was incorporated by Elizabeth I. It had a mayor, six aldermen and 26 burgesses.
For further details on what is happening in Brackley and the surrounding area view Brackley Online Post -Events
The Tudor antiquary John Leland visited Brackley, where he learned 'a Lord of the Towne' named Neville had (at an uncertain point in the past) had the parish vicar murdered. This he had done by having the man buried alive. The writer Daniel Codd observed that in the grounds of St Peter's Church, a human-shaped stone effigy is sometimes pointed out as being connected with the event.
Please click here to look at this years race calenderRead More
Brackley Town Football Club, known as the Saints, play in National League North. Its finest season was in 2013–14 when it reached the FA Cup Second Round having beaten League One side Gillingham 1–0 in a First round replay following a 1–1 draw. Brackley Town's ground is St James Park. Its closest rival in this league is Oxford City F.C.
Brackley Sports Football Club first team plays in the North Bucks and District League Premier Division and its reserve team plays in the North Bucks and District League Intermediate Division. It also has a ladies' team that plays in the Northants Women's League.
Events In recent years, the town has a gained a reputation as a centre for festivals and carnivals, with something for the whole family, including the:
Market day was on Sundays until 1218, when it was changed to Wednesdays. It is now on Friday mornings.
Brackley is also the home of German F1 team Mercedes AMG Petronas having had British team Brawn GP, who were bought out by Mercedes-Benz in 2009. Japanese team Honda F1 and British-American team BAR, who were bought out by Honda in 2006 were previously based in Brackley.
The nearest railway station is Kings Sutton, about 6 miles (10 km) west of the town. Brackley had two railway stations of its own that were closed in the 1960s.
Chiltern Railways is said to want to restore services between London Marylebone and Rugby along the former Great Central Main Line. This would have Brackley Central railway station reopen with direct services to London, Aylesbury and Rugby. However, the Department for Transport has chosen part of the former Great Central route north-west of Brackley as part of the new High Speed 2 line between London and Birmingham. A station at Brackley is not currently proposed.
Henry III attacked and destroyed the castle in 1173. The site was later granted to the Hospital of SS. James and John (see below).
A Five Course Christmas Day Lunch only £54.95 per person...Read More
Brackley Rugby Union Football Club currently plays in the English Rugby Union Midland Division's Midlands 3 East (South) League. It hosts two senior sides and a number of teams in the junior section.
Brackley Athletic Football Club is a junior football club affiliated with the Northamptonshire Football Association. It plays in three leagues: the under 7s – 10s are in the Milton Keynes & District Junior Sevens League, the under 11s – 16s are in the Milton Keynes & Border Counties League and the girls' team is in the Oxford Girls' Football League.
In the 11th and 12th centuries Brackley was in the Hundred of Odboldistow and in the Manor of Halse. Richard I (The Lionheart) named five official sites for jousting tournaments so that such events could not be used as local wars, and Brackley was one of these. The tournament site is believed to be to the south of the castle where the A422 now passes.