Is there something happening in your area you would like us to report on?
The place-name "Bedlington" is first attested circa 1050 in a biography of Saint Cuthbert, where it appears as "Bedlingtun". The name means "the town of Bedla's people".
Bedlington and the hamlets belonging to it were bought by Cutheard, Bishop of Durham, between 900 and 915, and although locally situated in the county of Northumberland, it became part of the county palatine (from Lat. palatium, a palace) of Durham, over which Bishop Walcher was granted royal rights by William the Conqueror.
The Bedlington Terrier has been described as resembling a lamb. It has also been compared to a miniature version of the Scottish Deerhound. George Shields stated that exceedingly well-bred dogs possess the spirit of a thoroughbred racehorse.
He has held a number of senior roles on regional newspapers across England, Scotland and Wales over the last 15 years and is now editor-in-chief of Trinity Mirror North East.
Richard Davison knocked a 4ft 9 woman to the floor and pushed an 88-year-old cancer suffer backwards before ransacking their homes
They are also known for their intelligence and tenacity when it comes to taking on vermin. Bedlingtons are quite fond of fighting, and are prone to jealousy when around other dogs. One man stated that "this dog was about fit to kill any other dog of his weight" and compared him to the fighting dogs used in dog fighting. They have also been used in pit fighting.
Welcome to Bedlington.co.uk 2016 style - give it a try on your smartphone or tablet and you'll be surprised how much easier it is to navigate or post.
The first shows that had a class for the Bedlington Terrier were held in 1870 at Bedlington. The following year, there was a Bedlington Terrier class at a show held at Crystal Palace, where a red dog named Miner took first prize. Miner also won a show held at Birmingham. The Bedlington Terrier Club was established in 1875. Many dogs in early shows were clipped and dyed to bring them closer to the breed standard and improve their chances of winning.
The Bedlington Terrier is a breed of small dog named after the mining town of Bedlington, Northumberland in North East England. Originally bred to hunt vermin in mines, the Bedlington Terrier has since been used in dog racing, numerous dog sports, as well as in conformation shows and as a companion dog. It is closely related to the Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Whippet and Otterhound.
The most important historic building in Bedlington was Bedlington Old Hall, which consisted of a 15th-century pele tower with a long early 18th century stone block adjoining, occupying a prime location on the high street. It was scandalously demolished in 1959, and replaced with council offices.
There are several ways in which you can get involved in policing your local area:
It is unknown if the judges of the time were aware of this practice, or if they cared. The practice of trimming was eventually accepted by The Kennel Club, under the pretense that the trimming was being done to "smarten a dog to show his shape and general contour."
Darren was appointed editor of the Chronicle in September 2011, following a six-year spell as editor of the Evening Gazette in Teesside.
Bedlington is a town situated in South East Northumberland, England, United Kingdom, with a population of roughly 15,400, measured at 18,470 at the 2011 Census. It is a former mining town roughly 10 miles (16 km) north of the nearest city, Newcastle upon Tyne and 4.5 miles (7 km) southeast of the county town of Morpeth. Other nearby places include Ashington to the north northeast, Blyth to the east and Cramlington to the south.
For the latest local news straight to your Twitter, Facebook feed or e-mail inbox.
Please visit http://www.trinitymirrorne.co.uk for the latest information about our audience, advertising solutions and rates. Alternatively please contact
A weekly market is held on Thursdays at the market place. The number of market stalls is now also starting to decline.
Bedlington became an industrial town with an iron works and several coal mines, however subsequent closure of this industries in the latter half of the 20th century caused the town to undergo many changes, becoming more of a dormitory town for those working in the surrounding areas.
One of the most important surviving historic buildings is the Anglican parish church, which is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. It is reputed that the church takes its dedication from an event that occurred 12 December 1069: fleeing northwards from the Conqueror's army, the monks of Durham are said to have rested the body of St Cuthbert in Bedlington Church. The building, originally of Saxon design, was rebuilt about a hundred years later. Little of either the Saxon or the Norman church has survived.
By the end of the 19th century Bedlington was becoming notable as a coalfield village. The influential and powerful 'Bedlington Coal Company' was founded in 1838, producing their first coal in 1841. By 1909, there were as many as ten collieries producing coal in the area. In 1974 the last of these collieries ceased production.
When these rights were taken from Cuthbert Tunstall, Bishop of Durham, in 1536, Bedlington among his other properties, lost its special privileges, but was confirmed to him in 1541 with the other property of his predecessors. Together with the other lands of the see of Durham, Bedlington was made over to the ecclesiastical commissioners in 1866. Bedlingtonshire was made part of Northumberland for civil purposes by acts of parliament in 1832 and 1844.
There is a Roman Catholic congregation who worship in a relatively new church called St Bede's. In addition, there is a Salvation Army chapel.
Tell us about it and, if possible, send us a picture.
Local newspapers include the Evening Chronicle, the Journal, which also cover Tyneside and the rest of south east Northumberland. The Newspost Leader is weekly and covers most of the former district of Wansbeck. The community-run Bedlington Website Bedlington.co.uk was started in 1998. It has been active in many of the recent initiatives to promote the town.
Newcastle United played Huddersfield Town at St James' Park in their first home game of the Championship campaign
The parish of Bedlington constituted the historic exclave of County Durham called Bedlingtonshire. It is famous for giving its name to a breed of dog; the Bedlington Terrier.
The town has several bus links, including the X21 and X22 via Arriva, to nearby Newcastle upon Tyne. The town's front street has one supermarket, a post office, and several other smaller shops.
Today, Bedlington is an attractive market town and residential area for those who work in South Northumberland and Tyneside. The main visitor attraction is the Bedlington Country Park, while the major employer in the town is the electronics company, Welwyn Components.
In 1948, Ch. Rock Ridge Night Rocket took best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show and was subsequently featured in LIFE magazine. One of his descendants, Ch. Femars' Cable Car, was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the February 8, 1960 edition.
Hartford Hall lies within the parish. Much of the riverside land between Bedlington and the hall forms the Bedlington Country Park, a designated local nature reserve.
The town of Bedlington has a population of 15,400 and is situated in the southeast of the county on the River Blyth. Until as recently as 1844, it was ruled by the Bishop of Durham both in civil and ecclesiastical matters, and it is here that the famous Bedlington Terrier was originally bred.
Farm Watch is a means of police keeping you informed with any criminal or suspicious activity in around the rural, farming, equine, or landowners communities.
In the centre of the village there is one main street, 'Front Street', which is very wide and spacious, and almost one mile in length. There is also an 18th century market cross, in the shape of an obelisk, which separates the West End of Front Street from the East End.
There are also several radio regional stations provide local broadcasts. Local news on television is provided by ITV Tyne Tees and BBC Look North. These TV stations cover most of the north east, County Durham, Teesside, Tyneside and Northumberland.