The sports centre began to be re-developed in late 2009, for a new centre and café, which was completed by mid 2010.
Banbury was once home to Western Europe's largest cattle market, on Merton Street in Grimsbury. The market was a key feature of Victorian life in the town and county. It was formally closed in June 1998, after being abandoned several years earlier and was replaced with a new housing development and Dashwood Primary School.
RAF Upper Heyford is probably the best-preserved Cold War base in Britain. Though set in North Oxfordshire’s countryside,
Hennef Way (A422) was upgraded to a dual carriageway[when?] easing traffic on the heavily congested road and providing north Banbury and the town centre with higher-capacity links to the M40.
Banbury Museum opened in 2002, and is situated in an attractive town centre and waterside location. The iconic modern building displays local history collections and hosts touring exhibitions. The Museum offers a family friendly approach, with a busy programme of activities and events for all ages.
The main railway station, now called simply Banbury, is now served by trains running from London Paddington via Reading and Oxford, from London Marylebone via High Wycombe and Bicester onwards to Birmingham and Kidderminster and by Cross Country Trains from Bournemouth to Birmingham and Manchester.
Banbury is located at the bank of the River Cherwell which sweeps through the town, going just east of the town centre with Grimsbury being the only estate east of the river.
The opening of the Oxford Canal from Hawkesbury Junction to Banbury on 30 March 1778 gave the town a cheap and reliable supply of Warwickshire coal. In 1787 the Oxford Canal was extended southwards, finally opening to Oxford on 1 January 1790. The canal's main boat yard was the original outlay of today's Tooley's Boatyard.
Spiceball Park is the largest park in Banbury. It is east of the Oxford Canal, mainly west of the River Cherwell, north of Castle Quay and south of Hennef Way. It includes three large fields, a children's play area and a skateboard park. Across the road from the main park there is the sports centre, which includes a swimming pool, courts, café and gym facilities.
Today Banbury is an expanding market and industrial town experiencing growth as a direct benefit of its proximity to the completed M40 motorway linking London to Birmingham via Oxford. It is home to some major industries such as Alcoa (aluminium products), and Kraft Jacobs Suchard (coffee and custard).
Banbury has Stagecoach in Oxfordshire bus services both within the town and linking it with Brackley, Chipping Norton and Oxford. Stagecoach Midlands services link Banbury with Daventry, Rugby and Stratford-upon-Avon.
Banbury stands at the junction of two ancient roads: Salt Way (used as a bridle path to the west and south of the town), its primary use being transport of salt; and Banbury Lane, which began near Northampton and is closely followed by the modern 22-mile-long road. It continued through what is now Banbury's High Street and towards the Fosse Way at Stow-on-the-Wold. Banbury's mediæval prosperity was based on wool.
The Civil War, plush manufacturing, the Victorian market town, costume from the 17th century to the present day, Tooley’s Boatyard and the Oxford Canal, are just some of the stories illustrated in the museum. There are also regularly changing exhibitions and activities to ensure that there is always something new to see and do.
The villages of King's Sutton and Middleton Cheney, and possibly also Aynho, Fenny Compton, Charlton and Croughton could be considered part of Banburyshire, as well as Upper and Lower Brailes. The settlements of Bicester, Hinton-in-the-Hedges, Chipping Norton and Hook Norton are on the border of Banburyshire's area.
Owing to the surrounding area's notable links with world motorsport, the town is home to many well known organisations within the industry. Prodrive, one of the world's largest motorsport and automotive technology specialists, is based in the town as are a host of race teams involved in competition across many different disciplines and countries.
The Hanwell Fields Estate was built in the north between 2001 and 2009. It was intended to provide affordable social housing to the west and south of Banbury, and more upmarket housing in the Hanwell fields area.
Help us to decide where to make our Christmas donation
In 1377 a pardon was given to a Welshman, who was wanted for killing another Welshman, after the accused person had taken sanctuary in St Mary's parish church.
is already registered with . You will be able to use the same account on . Alternatively, you can create a new account with another email address.
Banbury /ˈbænbri/ is a market town on the River Cherwell in Oxfordshire, England, 64 miles (103 km) northwest of London, 38 miles (61 km) southeast of Birmingham, 27 miles (43 km) south of Coventry and 21 miles (34 km) north-by-northwest of the county town of Oxford. It had a population of 46,853 at the 2011 census.
Banbury has one of the UK's lowest unemployment rates, as of April 2016 it stood at 0.7%. Once Poland joined the European Union in 2004, a number of Banbury-based employment agencies began advertising for staff in major Polish newspapers. In 2006 one estimate placed between 5,000 and 6,000 Poles in the town. With the influx of the largely Roman Catholic Poles, one local church was offering a Mass said partially in Polish and specialist Polish food shops had opened.
Towns with crosses in England before the reformation were places of Christian pilgrimage.
By registering you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of the website.
There was a plan in the late 2000s to expand the Bretch Hill estate westwards into local farmland, but this has now been suspended due to the credit crunch and local hostility to the plan, including the southern expansion towards Bodicote.
Banbury and District Golf Club (now defunct) was founded in 1904. The club disappeared in the mid-1920s.
The post of the mayor of Banbury was created in 1607. The first mayor was Thomas Webb.
Registering with Banbury Guardian means you're ok with our terms and conditions.
This website is designed and managed by www.cotswolds.info
Explore our wide ranging programme of inspiring and engaging exhibitions.
The Quaker meeting house by the town centre lane called 'The Leys' was built between 1748 and 1750.
During excavations for the construction of an office building in Hennef Way in 2002, the remains of a British Iron Age settlement with circular buildings dating back to 200 BC were found. The site contained around 150 pieces of pottery and stone. Later there was a Roman villa at nearby Wykham Park.
The Domesday Book in 1086 listed three mills, with a total fiscal value of 45 shillings, on the Bishop of Lincoln's demesne lands, and a fourth which was leased to Robert son of Waukelin by the Bishop. Among Banbury's four Medieval mills was probably a forerunner of Banbury Mill, first referred to by this name in 1695. In the year 1279, Laurence of Hardwick was also paying 3 marks (equivalent to 40 shillings) in annual rent to the Bishop for a mill in the then Hardwick hamlet.
The High Street of Banbury is bustling with a wide variety of shopping and cafes. The pedestrianisation of parts of the town makes it a pleasant place to linger. Banbury is also famous for its special Banbury Cakes which are elliptical in shape and made of light pastry lined with currants and have a lemon fragrance. They have been produced for at least 300 years.
As of 2013 Banbury had no traffic wardens or civil enforcement officers.
The Oxford Canal is a popular place for pleasure trips and tourism. The canal's main boat yard is now the listed site Tooley's Boatyard.
Other OXTowns: Choose a town Abingdon Banbury Bicester Burford Carterton Chipping Norton The Cotswolds Didcot Faringdon Henley-on-Thames Kidlington Oxford Thame Wallingford Wantage Witney Woodstock
Contact Us About Us Site Index Job Opportunities Media Press Releases and Cuttings Advertising Opportunities News and Helpful Information for Advertisers Testimonials Cotswolds.Info Services
Broughton Castle and Church, 3 miles south west of Banbury - of great interest, owned by the Fiennes family since 1451. Broughton Castle was modified in the 16th century with most of the battlements being removed and has remained unchanged since that time to the present day. The castle is surrounded by a wide moat and is one of the most romantically situated castles in the country.
Heyfordian operates routes not covered by Stagecoach, including routes from Banbury to places including Bicester, the Heyfords, Ardley, Towcester, Wappenham and Northampton. A local operator, Tex Coaches, also runs regular routes from Banbury town centre to Brackley via Kings Sutton and Greatworth. National Express coaches serve Banbury with regular services to and from major UK towns and cities.
British Railways closed Merton Street railway station and the Buckingham to Banbury line to passenger traffic at the end of 1960. Merton Street goods depot continued to handle livestock traffic for Banbury's cattle market until 1966, when this too was discontinued and the railway dismantled. In March 1962 Sir John Betjeman celebrated the line from Culworth Junction in his poem Great Central Railway, Sheffield Victoria to Banbury. British Railways closed this line too in 1966.