Natakhtari airfield, located at 33 km of Tbilisi, is in the town of Natakhtari. It's used only for domestic flights to Mestia, Batumi and Kutaisi.
Since 2012, Tbilisi has a modern, high capacity gondola lift which operates between Rike Park and the Narikala fortress, each gondola can carry up to 8 persons. The system was built by the Italian manufacturer Leitner ropeways.
Tbilisi witnessed mass anti-Russian demonstrations during 1956 in the 9 March Massacre, in protest against the anti-Stalin policies of Nikita Khrushchev. Peaceful protests occurred in 1978, and in 1989 the April 9 tragedy was a peaceful protest that turned violent.
The university has five branches in the regions of Georgia, six faculties, 60 scientific-research laboratories and centers, a scientific library (with 3,700,000 books and periodicals), seven museums, publishing house and printing press (newspaper "Tbilisis Universiteti").
Mr Margvelashvili, a former philosophy lecturer, assumed a weakened role because constitutional changes that come into force with his inauguration transferred a raft of key powers from the president to the prime minister.
Over 35 thousand students are studying at the University and its eight regional branches. Important changes at the university began on 25 April 1994, when the scientific council of the University adopted "The Concepts of University Education", according to which since the year 1994 the university has transferred to the two-stage form of study (the step-by-step rearrangements were launched in 1992).
The mission of the faculty is to promote the introduction of modern researches and methodologies, the development of scientific work and research-based educational activities in the fields of humanities.
The Academic Council is the highest representative body of the university. Council is elected by the members of the faculties academic personnel and those representatives of students' self-governance who are the members of faculty council, on the basis of direct, free and equal elections, by secret ballot. Only professors may be elected as the members of the Academic Council.
Mr Ivanishvili stepped down as prime minister after Margvelashvili's inauguration, saying his goal - ousting Mr Saakashvili - was now done. He denied accusations he would continue to run the show from the sidelines.
There are museums of History, Georgian Emigration, Mineralogy, Geology and Paleontology, Geography, Zoology and Botany.
Tbilisi's signature football team, Dinamo Tbilisi, has not won a major European championship since the 1980-1981 season, when it won the European UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and became the easternmost team in Europe to achieve the feat. The basketball club Dinamo Tbilisi won the Euroleague in 1962 but also never repeated any such feat.
1990 - Nationalist coalition wins multi-party parliamentary elections; former dissident Zviad Gamsakhurdia becomes chairman of parliament.
Until 2005 four faculties of the Tbilisi State University (Faculty of Economics, Microeconomics and Management, Marketing and Commerce, International Business) were preparing specialists in the field of economic and business. Establishment of the Faculty of Economics and Business, which is the largest faculty at the Tbilisi State University, is the result of the reforms that have been carried out in Georgian educational system and in TSU in 2005.
He had little political experience and was seen as beholden to billionaire Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili, whose coalition drove Mr Saakashvili's party from power in the 2012 parliamentary elections.
The Faculty of Economics and Business was established as an independent entity at the Tbilisi State University in 1931 on the basis of the Social-Economic Faculty founded in 1922. Until 1944, the Faculty of Economics was the first and the only educational and research center in the country. Now nearly all Georgian universities offer courses in economics, where lectures are delivered by the alumni of the Faculty of Economics.
The architecture of the later 20th century can mainly be identified with the building style that was common during the Soviet era throughout the Soviet Union and the countries under Soviet occupation.
The Board of Representatives is the university representative body, which is elected by the faculties. Senate members are elected separately from the students and the academic personnel in proportion to their number at each structural unit.
Tbilisi had a tram network, since 1883 starting from horse driven trams and from 25 December 1904 electric tramway. When the Soviet Union disintegrated, electric transport went to a degradation state within the years and finally the only tram line left was closed on 4 December 2006 together with two trolleybus lines which were left. There are plans to construct a modern tram network.
Since October 2016, Turtle lake aerial tramway (originally opened in 1965) reopened after 7 years being out of service. It went under major reconstruction but keeping the old design gondolas and stations. Tramway connects Vake Park with Turtle Lake. Reconstruction was carried out by L.T.D "Bagirmsheni".
Historically, the city had 7 different aerial tramways but all of them closed after Soviet era.
Under the national government, Tbilisi turned into the first Caucasian University City after the Tbilisi State University was founded in 1918, a long-time dream of the Georgians banned by the Imperial Russian authorities for several decades. On 25 February 1921, the Bolshevist Russian 11th Red Army invaded  Tbilisi after bitter fighting at the outskirts of the city and declared Soviet rule.
The university was opened on 26 January 1918, the day of remembrance of the Georgian King David the Builder. A church in the University garden, named after the King, has been functioning since 5 September 1995. In 1989 the university was named after its founder - Ivane Javakhishvili.
The Faculty of Humanities of the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University is the successor of the Faculty of Philosophy of the first Georgian University established in 1918.
The Rector is the highest academic authority of the university, serves as a chair of the Academic Council, represents the university in academic and research spheres both domestically and internationally. The Rector is elected by the majority vote of Academic Council members, through secret ballot.
Tbilisi State University
1995 - Eduard Shevardnadze wins elections to the restored post of president.
The history of higher medical education originates from October 1918 when the Faculty of Medicine was established at the Tbilisi State University. Since May 1919, by decision of the Board of Professors, the Medical Faculty continued to exist as an independent unit until 1930 when the Tbilisi State Medical Institute was founded on the basis of the Medical Faculty.
Building of the current Art Museum of Georgia, c. early 1800s
1994 - Georgian government and Abkhaz separatists sign a ceasefire agreement, paving the way for the deployment of a Russian peacekeeping force in the region.
Caucasian studies is one of the major trends of scholarly research. "Caucasica", an international scholarly journal, has been published since 1998.
The Board of Representatives is elected from within the university on the basis of general, direct and equal elections, by secret ballot. Students comprise one-third of the board. The board includes a representative from the University's library.
Tense relations with Russia have been further exacerbated by Moscow's support for the separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
University schools are Ivane Javakhishvili school N53, the N. Muskhelishvili school N55, prof. T. Georgia physical-mathematical boarding school, Tbilisi lyceum, Rustavi gymnasium, Gurjaani college and Khobi school.
In May 2005, during the university reforms, six faculties were established out of 22 faculties at Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, the Faculty of Political and Social Sciences was one of them. The mission of the faculty is to prepare qualified specialists through education and research and to develop social science.
In 1995, higher medical education was restored at Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, first at the Faculty of Biology and Medicine as medical specialization, and in 2000 as an independent faculty.
In the north part of the town, on the left bank of the Kurá and to the south of the railway station, stretches the clean German Quarter, formerly occupied by German immigrants from Württemberg (1818). To the south is the Gruzinian or Georgian Quarter (Avlabár). On the right bank of the Kurá is the Russian Quarter, the seat of the officials and of the larger business firms. This is adjoined on the south by the Armenian and Persian Bazaars.
Tbilisi is governed by the Tbilisi City Assembly (Sakrebulo) and the Tbilisi City Hall (Meria). The City Assembly is elected once every four years. The mayor is elected once every four years by direct elections. The Mayor of Tbilisi is David (Davit) Narmania and the Chairman of the Tbilisi city Assembly is Giorgi Alibegashvili.
A printing press was set up in 1923 and a publishing-house in 1933. The University Archive was founded in 1933. The scientific edition "The Proceedings of Tbilisi University" has been publishedisince 1919. The program Textbooks for Students has been functioning since 1996. The University publishes two weekly newspapers "Tbilisis Universiteti" (since 1927) and "Kartuli Universiteti" (since 1998).
From the late 14th until the end of the 18th century, Tbilisi came under the rule of various foreign invaders once again and on several occasions was completely burnt to the ground. In 1386, Tbilisi was invaded by the armies of Tamerlane (Timur). In 1444, the city was invaded and destroyed by Jahan Shah (the Shah of the town of Tabriz in Persia). From 1477 to 1478 the city was held by the Ak Koyunlu tribesmen of Uzun Hassan.
1993 - Georgian troops driven out of Abkhazia by separatist forces.
Political Science, Journalism, International Relations, Human Geography, Social Work, Sociology, and Psychology