The Bit o'reds Champions League tie was against strong Norwegian champions Molde FK. Sligo narrowly lost the home leg giving Molde the edge they never let slip. After this Rovers tried to resurrect their title bid but defeats against surprise contenders Dundalk and home draws meant that in almost a mirror image of the previous season St. Patricks Athletic won the title after beating Sligo with 2 games to spare.

Cassidy came close to getting Rovers back up as they were in contention right up until the final day of the 2000–2001 season when they lost 4-1 against Home Farm Everton.

Doherty, who ensured City left with a point, kept out Martin's shot after he was put clear and McBride blocked Kieran Sadlier's follow-up effort.

Ronan Kennedy responded with a free for Leitrim and Mulligan got another, but in between Sligo full-back Kevin McDonnell soloed forward to kick a magnificent effort from the right.

Leitrim: B Flynn; P Maguire, R Gallagher, K McHugh; S McWeeney, G Reynolds, T Mulvey; S Moran, P McGowan; C Gilheaney, E Mulligan (0-4f), K Conlan; R Kennedy, D Wrynn, J Rooney.

We use cookies on this website... To find out more about cookies, please see our Privacy Policy. If you continue using our website, we will assume that you consent to the cookies we set. More info I agree

Rovers beat reigning champions Shamrock Rovers 3-0 in the Showgrounds on 13 May 2012 to open up an 8-point gap between themselves and 3rd placed Shamrock Rovers and a 6-point gap over 2nd place St. Pats. This meant Rovers were unbeaten in the first third of the season along with 2nd placed St. Patricks Athletic - the first time two sides have achieved this in the same season since 1980/81 season.

Before Lawrie Sanchez left in 1995, he recommended that Sligo appoint Cotterill and that proved to be a wise decision as he led the club to third place in the Premier Division of the National League and his side also reached the League Cup final (Rovers were beaten on penalties by Shelbourne). Cotterill was then offered the position of manager of Cheltenham Town, who he brought from non-League football into the Football League winning the FA Trophy along the way.

On 27 February, former Scunthorpe United boss Ian Baraclough was named Rovers new manager, describing the offer as a "fantastic opportunity and I am very thankful for the offer". In his first game as manager, Rovers drew 1-1 with Shelbourne at Tolka Park. Jason McGuinness rescued a point for Baraclough's side in the last minute. In the following game, he won his first game as manager against Glentoran 2-0 in the Setanta Cup thanks to goals from Romauld Boco and Mark Quigley.

Took charge of only one competitive game, 18 November 2006 Vs. Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds, Bray. Result 1-1.

John Coleman and his assistant Jimmy Bell joined Sligo Rovers in June 2014, tasked with getting Rovers back into the Europa League for 2015. Ultimate Coleman failed in his goals, although Rovers did get through a round against FK Banga Gargždai. Rovers went on to Beat Rosenberg BK away, but lost the home leg and were eliminated. John and Jimmy left for Accrington Stanley F.C. in September but are returning for a friendly against Sligo Rovers.

Donal Wrynn got Leitrim’s first point from play after 25 minutes to cut the gap to 0-8 to 0-4 and with wind advantage to come in the second-half, the travelling supporters began to hope.

The visitors threatened midway through the half when a deflected Ronan Curtis shot flew wide and Vemmelund's glancing header from the resulting corner required a goal-line clearance.

In July 2012 a new stand was completed at the Railway End consisting of 1,300 seats. This stand is now known as the Volkswagen Stand as the project was funded by Volkswagen Bank. [2].

Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.

They won the toss and used the wind to good advantage and by the interval were 0-12 to 0-4 in front.

However, Sligo had other ideas and Adrian Marren pointed from the right before Murphy struck two more splendid efforts, with a pointed free from Marren making it 0-12 to 0-4 at the break.

Mullen came to the club after a good spell with Burnley but his reign at the Showgrounds was short-lived and he left the club due to family reasons in July 1997.

The hosts dominated the first half with Raffaele Cretaro wasting an early chance before City keeper Gerard Doherty denied Liam Martin.

City remain third in the standings but have closed the gap on pacesetters Dundalk to eight points.

Cassidy, who had previously managed in Cyprus and Northern Ireland, could do little to reverse the slide in Rovers’ fortunes following the departure of previous manager Jim McInally and they were relegated from the Premier Division.

They again built up an eight points lead by the break in this one, but the difference this time was the way they pushed on to close out the deal.

Subs: C Breheny for Hynes (47), P Clark for Brian Egan (51), L Henry for Maye (63), N Gaughan for O’Kelly-Lynch (65), C Nally for Kyle Cawley (67), D Cummins for Marren (69).

Former Scunthorpe United boss Baraclough succeeded Cook after he left for Accrington Stanley. He became boss 5 days before the 2012 Airtricity League began. The job is the 41 year old's first since being sacked by "The Iron" in March 2011. Guided Sligo to their first league title since 1977, in 2012.


In two years McStay lead Rovers to an historic treble, when they won the 1993-94 First Division, First Division Shield and the FAI Cup. In 1994, the Scot left Rovers just before the start of the new season after being approached by Celtic, his former club as a player.

Niall Carew’s Sligo advanced to the next round of the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers with an impressive victory at Markievicz Park.

Darragh Cummins wrapped it up for Sligo in the closing stages with their second goal to seal an impressive victory.

“There is confidence in our team going into any game."

Leitrim never looked like coming back after that and they finished the game with 14 men when Gary Reynolds was black-carded in stoppage time with six subs on the field.

Leitrim struggled to contain Murphy and he added two more before Breheny’s first from play pushed Sligo 0-7 to 0-1 ahead after 17 minutes.

Sadlier headed straight at Doherty from Cretaro's cross early in the second half.

Sligo stepped up a gear after the restart and Kyle Cawley soloed through from the left to shoot to the net after 49 minutes.

Copyright © 2012 - 2016 Sligo Rovers. All Rights Reserved   |   © OSD Digital Solutions Ireland 2012 - 2016  

Scorers for Leitrim: E Mulligan 0-4 (4fs), N O’Donnell 0-2, D Wrynn 0-1, R Kennedy 0-1 (f), D Sweeney 0-1, C Gaffney 0-1.

Subs: N Woods for Rooney (19), D Sweeney for McGowan (33), N O’Donnell for Gilheaney (34), A Croal for Gallagher (36), C Gaffney for Mulvey (51), R O’Rourke for Moran (60).

Candystripes boss Kenny Shiels was forced to make a defensive re-shuffle after 11 minutes when the injured Patrick McClean was replaced by Nathan Boyle.

This is located opposite the Treacy Avenue stand has about 800 seats which were installed in the late nineties. Half of the stand is reserved for away support, while the other half contains Sligo Rovers' most vocal support known as Forza Rovers. They are renowned for their colourful and humorous displays. This stand recently also contains a TV gantry.

Derry managed to create second-half openings and Niclas Vemmelund saw his header cleared off the line.

This end gets its name from the shed it used to have where Sligo Rovers' most vocal supporters would congregate until it had to be demolished for health and safety reasons. There is currently no structure at this end of the ground.

Keely guided Sligo to their highest finish in a decade in the Premier Division with a 5th-place finish in 1990/91.